Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Ideas for body pride/positive body image/ED awareness-related activities?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ideas for body pride/positive body image/ED awareness-related activities?
i am a cat
Neophyte
Member # 13784

Icon 10 posted      Profile for i am a cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I came to college last year I became very involved with the campus Womens' Center. Through the WC, I became aware of and joined the Bod Squad, which is a student-led group that formed two years ago on our campus in order to promote healthy body image, eating disorder awareness, and good old lovin' yourself for who you are.

I was just wondering if anyone from these boards has any ideas as to things that we could do to get our campus aware and involved - I'd love to hear what you all think!

Just for example, here's a list of some of the things the Bod Squad organized on our campus last fall/this spring:

* A guest speaker from a local clinic that helps people with eating disorders

* "Decoding Cosmo" presentation/discussion (This was really awesome... Examples of advertising that promote negative body image were shown and then the people who came to the presentation were given old magazines so they could find and cut out their own examples to share with the rest of the group and talk about them. Then they ripped 'em all up.)

* A "Normal Dieting" presentation/discussion

* A movie night for Eating Disorders Awareness Week (I couldn't make it, so I'm not sure what movie was shown.)

* A "Scale Smashing" event in which people gathered around outside to take a whack at a scale using a big old hammer and just basically hoot and holler and feel that they're "more than just a number."

* Co-sponsoring with one of the Latina sororities to bring actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler to campus to talk about her experience with EDs

* A "Day Without Dieting" during which students were encouraged to forget dieting for a day, without feeling bad about it.

* A bulletin board contest for which the people in Res. Halls were encouraged to get together with their floormates and decorate one of the big hall bulletin boards with any kind of "body pride" theme that they could come with.

* "Change Your Clothes, Not Your Body" (a clothing drive for which all donations were given to a local safehome for women and their children)

One of our goals for this year is to become an officially recognized campus group. Official recognition from the college = money from the college = more freedom for us to organize more activities.

------------------
"Why should I have to be a skinny pencil? I'd rather be a happy magic marker." - Natalie on "Facts of "Life"

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The just sounds so amazing, I am a cat!

Just reading about your Bod Squad makes me want to make something similar at my local college. I really don't have anything to add to that, but just wanted to tell you to keep up the good work!

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i am a cat
Neophyte
Member # 13784

Icon 10 posted      Profile for i am a cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by youcancallmepunk:
Just reading about your Bod Squad makes me want to make something similar at my local college.

Awesome!

Our group just went to a weekend conference with students from other colleges who belong to campus groups that have to do with health issues, sexual education, and drug/alcohol awareness. After our presentation about our activities, we had several people, both male and female, come up to us and say that they were interested in starting groups like ours on their campuses. We said go for it!

One of my favorite quotes: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."-Margaret Mead

------------------
"Why should I have to be a skinny pencil?
I'd rather be a happy magic marker."

- Natalie on "Facts
of "Life"

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melancholy_Mango_Mania
Neophyte
Member # 14163

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melancholy_Mango_Mania     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds lyke a good group. I wish they had something lyke that in high school; if they did i would probably join. I'm not very good with public speaking so i doubt i would start a group at school........

------------------
People are lyke oreos--the best part is on the inside.-Lora

Live life to the fullest, don't let anyone tell you you're not beautiful, and don't take shitaki mushrooms from anybody.

Posts: 34 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mango, why not get together with a teacher and see if you can start a club of the sort. you don't have to talk much, and if you get a couple of friends in on it, setting up will be that much easier. After all, if not you, then who?

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another idea: Make a Yay Scale.

Get people to donate their non-digital scales, because you really don't need a scale in your bathroom anyway. Write a big list of positive words and compliments- fabulous, beautiful, hot stuff, great, terrific, etc. Cut them into strips on pretty paper in different colors. Remove the plastic window over the numbers. Glue the strips over the numbers, so you can't see the numbers, only the words. Put the plastic window back on. Decorate the scale all sparkly and pretty.

Then you can have an event! Make a Yay Station, where anybody can come along, step on the scale, and get an affirmation instead of a number. Have people there to cheer for everyone who tries it and say "Yay!"

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i am a cat
Neophyte
Member # 13784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i am a cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mango, I'm not the greatest public speaker either. I find, however, than when I'm working with a bunch of people and we all have these ideas kind of bouncing off of each other, I get excited about talking to groups. It becomes fun and a lot less nerve-wracking for me that way. I also find that speaking about something I feel passionately about (such as the issues I mentioned here in this thread) makes speaking in public a lot more comfortable. I say go for it - and best of luck!!

PoetgirlNY - That is such a wonderful idea! Just reading about it made me smile - I will definitely bring that up to the other group members.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.