Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » My Finger Nails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Finger Nails
blinkbabe
Neophyte
Member # 12867

Icon 4 posted      Profile for blinkbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have a Question, This might sound dumb but on some of my finger nails theres white spots on my nails. I get them on all my finger nails but they go away and come back.I have no clue why I get those spots on my nails all the time. Am I lacking a certain vitamin or something? I don't know. I'm just wondering whats going on?
Posts: 10 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either you're not getting an ample amount of calcium or your fingernails are hitting against everything in sight! That's what I've heard. Anyone else?
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they stay there until your fingernail grows out? If so, then that just means you hit it against something; I get them, too
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Roses:
Do they stay there until your fingernail grows out? If so, then that just means you hit it against something; I get them, too

That may not be true. I get these, because of lack of calcium. I talked to my doctor and he just told me to calcium supplements, because i don't like milk so i'm lacking a bit. Most likely, that's the problem.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White spots on your nails may also be a sign of zinc deficiency, especially if you're feeling run down, or sick a lot (zinc is an immune system booster!) You can take a supplement (ask at the pharmacy for the best one), or try and pack a little more protein in your meals. (I think red meat has a lot of zinc, but you don't want to eat it on a daily basis!)

When I was getting cold sores all the time, my nails and teeth were really spotty, and I was sleeping poorly, a health worker suggested zinc supplements, and everything's been pretty great since then.

(Calcium is good for you too, though!)

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and one last possibility (though I'm mostly siding with the lack of Ca).

If your nails are turing whitish, especially around the edges, if they become thick and brittle, or if they fray around the edges, that can indicate a nail fungus. These can be diagnosed by a doctor and treated with topical agents or under severe circumstances, oral meds like Lamisil.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazy_sexy_cool
Neophyte
Member # 13617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazy_sexy_cool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say I disagree with white spots being a lack of calcium because I drink more than enough milk, I eat yogurt and cheese regularly, so I hardly have a lack of calcium, but I still get white spots on my nails. My sister by the way is the same, she used to drink LOADS of milk, I think maybe too much (sometimes up to 2 or 3 glasses a day), and she had white spots on her nails all the time!!

I guess it's either from bumping your nails, or it's just one of those things that happen for no apparent reason. (or perhaps it's genetic.. since both my sister and me got them.. ?)

------------------
..discipline without freedom is tyranny, freedom without discipline is chaos..

Posts: 36 | From: End of the rainbow | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely not genetic. the protein your nails are made of it programmed to form tidy bundles and sheets. If you have a genetic flaw in that, you'd not only have probs with your nails (and genetic problems with nails wouldn't show up as spots, they'd show up as real deformities), but your hair would also come out deformed. That is, if it came out at all.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, i notice i get them when i bump my fingernails onto something. When my nail grows out, the white spot grows out w/ it. No big deal

I don't think anyone's saying it's one thing or another ... It could be lack of calcium or zinc, or it could be bumping nails. Or it could be a combination of many factors. The poinst is, if you know what causes YOUR nails to do this, then you can avoid it (if you want to ... I don't know if these spots are actually damaging .. ? I'm assuming not)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might also want to realize that you can eat all the dairy you like (ow), but that based on given body chemistries and other things (like not having enough Vitamin D or boron to help with absoption, or like also drinking loads of soads), you may or may not be absorbing a whole lotta calcium from all of that.

And to some degree, if you overload on it, you end up absorbing LESS calcium. The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine says that The average person absorbs 30 to 70 percent of the calcium she or he eats, but the more calcium taken in, the less the body will absorb.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.