Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vertigo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vertigo
blue_gal
Neophyte
Member # 12550

Icon 5 posted      Profile for blue_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, last month i had loads of dizzy periods of where the room was spinning beyond my control and i kept on being sick. Anyway i went to the doctor, and he said that i had vertigo.
Anyways i know the side effects of vertigo, and that it is something to do with an inbalance in your ears but i was just wondering if anyone else knew anymore about it and what exactly is it??

Much Appreciated

~Blue_gal

Posts: 35 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...

A fairly common cause of vertigo is labyrinthitis. This type of vertigo may occur after a flu-like illness, severe ear infection, or may have no clear cause. It's usually self-limited, meaning it goes away all by itself. But it may intermittently reappear over weeks to months.

Labyrinthitis in the most general terms it's a condition which causes irritation of tiny structures such as microscopic hair cells which project into fluid-filled canals (labyrinths) within the vestibular system located deep in the inner ear.(NB: the vestibular system consists of a fluid-filled labyrinth of canals and chambers inside each inner ear. As you move your head, the fluid moves, and bends tiny hairs attached to sensory cells. The movement of the hair cells sends nerve impulses to the brain. In response, your brain tells the appropriate eye and body part to move -- to keep you balanced as you sit, stand, or move around). In labyrinthitis the hair cells and other structures in the labyrinths have become irritated or inflamed. They discharge randomly, sending chaotic messages to the brain, tricking the brain into thinking you or your surroundings are moving or spinning.

Vertigo can also result from other vestibular (balance center) disorders. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is thought to be caused by tiny loose particles floating freely in the fluid (endolymph) of the vestibular system. Meniere's disease is a chronic condition that causes vertigo associated with ringing or roaring and progressive hearing loss in the affected ear(s). Other causes of vertigo include vestibular neuronitis (inflammation of the vestibular nerves), and post traumatic vertigo which may occur after an injury to the head involving the inner ear structures. Sometimes vertigo may be a symptom of a more serious underlying illness such as a stroke or tumor.

Hope this helps!
man I really need a break from studying!...I'm turning into such a geek!

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue_gal
Neophyte
Member # 12550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks- thats helped loads

You studying loads for exams?? If so i know the feeling totally! sucks eh!!! Will all be worth it in the end though!

Posts: 35 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome
Yeah it does suck. Fingers crossed it's worth it, but I'm such a pessimist, I dont know. It's scary!. Exams were invented by sadists. Thats my theory anyway. I dont think exams show someone's true capabilities. Continuous assesment based on coursework, tutorials etc give a much clearer picture. Then again I'm a tiny voice that no one would bother listening to, so I suffer with the exams!.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blue_gal
Neophyte
Member # 12550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep i totally disagree with exams and they are so unfair and ur totally true it does not always show ones own ability.
Theres so many disadvantages, like on the day of the exam you could be ill, not thinking straight, family problems etc.. all these cause lack of concentration.. hence a lower grade, and once you have taken these exams theres no going back in some cases and thats your final grade!!!!!
Course work is far more better and it shows the candidates ability off far more

P.S Good luck with ur exams!!!!

~Blue_gal

gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is the only thread i could really find pertaining to vertigo.
after reading it, i'm wondering if an episode i experienced today could possibly be related?
today was fairly normal. i didn't stay up too late, got a normal amount of sleep, went to my first class (around 12:30) then met with a girl from my second class to finish up some loose ends for a presentation we had to give at 3.

presentation went fine but after we gave ours and were watching the next group, i suddenly felt light-headed and then dizzy, then the room felt like it was spinning. fortunately, the class was almost over. i thought it may have been because i had not eaten much today-- i have felt the effects of hypoglycemia before but never had the dizziness.

anyway, i had to walk across campus back to my car and i had trouble walking straight! honestly, the best way to describe how i felt was incredibly tipsy. i grabbed some water and a quicky snack from the machine to see if that might straighten things out but it didn't help. by the time i got home, i collapsed on my bed where i stayed for about 45 minutes, trying not to move. if i moved my head, the dizziness and spinning got worse. at one point i felt like a when you twist yourself up in a swing and then unwind.. the spinning started slowly, then increased speed, then slowed down again. this went on for awhile and i felt nauseated.

it finally subsided and now i just feel drained. i have no idea what was going on and can't think of anything i did differently that could have created this feeling. i know you guys aren't doctors but i was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions to add to this? thanks in advance.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.