Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » psoriosis sufferer. Anyone else the same??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: psoriosis sufferer. Anyone else the same??
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 2 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search, because "the search button is our friend" . anyway. Nothing came up on scarleteen on psoriosis. I've had it since I was about 5, my mom and I came down with strep throat and I've had it ever since. People ask me about it, and I'm not embarased by it anymore, I just simply say it's my T-cells over working, so I get little rashes which is basically dry skin. I have it really bad on my scalp, elbows, and stomach, and a few places on my face and ears. I use Elecon Solution perscribed by my doctor for it. I also (I know it's a BIIIGGG No-No), but I go to the tanning beds, and it really helps.

I was wondering if anyone else suffered from psorisios (pronounced: sore-i-oh-sis)?? And what they did to help it go away, and such. Please send lots of feedback! Thank you!!

**had to edit, because I apparently can't spell "F-R-O-M" hehehe**
------------------
.n.i.n.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

[This message has been edited by PrettyGirlSuffering (edited 05-22-2003).]

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pssst... if it's spelled psoriasis, the search function does come up with a few threads in which it's mentioned by fellow users who have it, but not in a topic on the disease itself.

for all those who don't know what psoriasis is, check out WebMD : Topic Overview Psoriasis.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Anya: "Well, at first it was confusing. Just the idea of computers was like, whoa, I'm eleven hundred years old. I had trouble adjusting to the idea of Lutherans."
Tara:"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's depressing."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoops... double post. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by PrettyGirlSuffering (edited 05-22-2003).]

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyGirlSuffering:
Gah!! I guess I should use spell check when it's 3am from now on. Lol thank you Alaska, I'll go spell it right this time, and look what others had to say. Thanks again!

I guess I shouldn't try to be smart and type posts up at 3:45am anymore? hehehe... thanks for noting my mistake Alaska. Lol even though now I feel a little ignorant.
I'll live! Thanks for the link too

------------------
.n.i.n.a.

PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

I went through all those posts. And they didn't really tell me what I was looking for. Like what people use to get rid of it, and what their feelings are when people ask what it is, etc. Thank you again though, Alaska, your effort was much appreciated!

------------------
.n.i.n.a.

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no worries, pretty. i saw those threads didn't have what you were looking for, but thought you would at least feel good knowing that there are some folks around who have the same plight as you.

so, any of those still around? come out of hiding, people!

and with the spelling....no worries at all. i'm so bad with it myself, especially when it's getting late...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*BeC*
Neophyte
Member # 13068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BeC*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have psoriasis but I do have atopical eczema which is slightly the same. I used to have quite a lot of it when I was a baby but now (i am almost 20) it has become a mild thing that while does flare up occasionally is not as bad as it was when I was younger. Even since I was little I have been on prescription Aristocort which is basically a cortisone cream that really works. There are also liquid washes (such as Pinetarsol and QT- which i am assuming that you can buy internationally) that you add to baths. PawPaw cream (health food stores) can help and just avoiding things like woollen clothing and getting too close to a heater or fire. Animal hair may aggravate it as well as pollen and other types of plants. It is probably best to go and see your doctor or pop into the chemist and see if there is anything you can buy over the counter. If it is in your scalp then it is best to try a different shampoo such as one that is specifically designed for people with your condition or even a milder form (baby shampoo?). Hopefully some of this stuff helps- your best bet is to see a doctor or dermatologist that will better be equipped to recommend some sort of treatment to you.

Good Luck

------------------
*Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly*

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a good friend of mine has psoriasis and she found that none of the creams or anything has worked for her, so she goes to a special UV bed at the hospital when she comes home from school (she goes to school in the middle of nowhere and they don't have one around there). they told her tanning beds wouldn't work as well.

i think it's interesting that UV rays can be so harmful, but they basically cure psoriasis.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not superiority
Neophyte
Member # 9830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not superiority     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my dermatologist gave me a perscription for olux foam. it's a strong steroid foaming liquid. it works if you apply it the way you're supposed to, otherwise (if you rubbed it in going against the hair on your legs for example) you'll get ingrown hairs.

it also stings like you'd never believe when you get it in an open sore.

annahal

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 4 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the relpy about the foam, but I've used it, and it gave me a really bad rash. I've been using the Elocon solution, with a moisturizure right after I get out of the shower/bath and it's really starting to clear up.

They need to find a cure already!! lol

------------------
.n.i.n.a.

JoeTheBean
Neophyte
Member # 13244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeTheBean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it on my neck. I don't know how I got it. It started showing up a few months ago and I can't get rid of it. I use all those body wash things when I take showers and it just makes me smell good.
Posts: 1 | From: Tennessee | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, use a more gentle body wash. The ingredients in soaps (dyes, fragrances, detergents) can irritate the skin. Also, apply dye-free, fragrance-free moisturizer so the skin doesn't get all raw.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 10 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger i had it really bad all over my body especially my scalp. I had bald patches since I was falsly diagnosed with ringworm and I used all sorts of medicines for it, some doctor prescribed some my mother thought up. I don't really know what made it start going away I think time had most to do with it. When I get it now though i use a little baby lotion and it goes away. What did I tell people who asked what it was? The truth. If they were brave enough to want to ask about it I figured I could be brave enough to talk about it

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.