Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hands
*BeC*
Neophyte
Member # 13068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BeC*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this doesnt sound stupid and I don't even know if I am posting in the right forum. Winteris coming up over here and I get really really cold hands and feet. It is put down to poor circulation but I just wanted to know if anyone out there had any good handwarming techniques? Other than the obvious gloves/under hot water ect...

Thanks

------------------
*Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly*

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
put your gloves or whatever in the dryer or in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up. There's also these bean things you can put in the microwave to keep you warm. I dunno where to buy them, I guess like a "Bed, Bath, & Beyond" type place that has home decorating stuff. My step-aunt had one when I was like 9. But yeah, I get cold too, esp my pinkies!

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful with putting stuff in the microwave that isn't supposed to be there, like gloves and socks. Don't want to cause any fires! The dryer or radiator is safer.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those bean-type-things can be made by stitching up a simple pillow of cotton cloth, and stuffing it with non-instant rice. Microwave for 30 seconds or so.

Personally, I wear mini gloves with the finger tips cut off, and lotion underneath (my hands dry out so badly in the winter they crack and bleed) around the house. It looks sort of Boy George-inspired, but works pretty well

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

'What has the rest of you been doing while your hand has been playing Atari?'

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xfireflystarex
Neophyte
Member # 13030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xfireflystarex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are these things you can get at camping stores, im not sure what they are called, but they fit in your pockets and you break them in half(having the same effect as when you break a glow stick) and they stay warm for a while.
Posts: 10 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have poor enough circulation that your fingers "turn off"? My father's do that, and I think I've probably inherited his hands. If yours are like that, don't wear gloves - wear mittens! Having all your fingers together sort of transfers the warmth among them all and helps keep them warmer than gloves.
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fireflystare, you're thinking of a chemical heatpack. You can find them in sporting goods, camping supply and military surplus stores. They don't "break" per se. Actually, it's a liquid with a tiny metal disc in it. you bend the disk and it sets off a chemical reaction where the liquid suddely hardens and start emitting heat. These things can get *really* hot, so wrap them in cloth instead of holding it in your bare hands. The heat packs are reusable; you just wait for it to cool off, then soak it in boiling water.

As for maintaining good circulation, keep your fingers and toes moving. this helps your veins push blood back to your heart. when it gets cold, circulation decreses because your blood vessels start to constrict, but keeping things moving does help.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*BeC*
Neophyte
Member # 13068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BeC*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions We actually do have a few of those chemical heating pack thingy's and i never thought of using them!

------------------
*Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly*

Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 14 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough keeping well hydrated is important when it comes to staying warm. I've how it works but I read it in a ski mag and have found it to be pretty accurate; there's a noticable difference when I'm not drinking as much water as I should.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 05-21-2003).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kena
Neophyte
Member # 10011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might sound stupid, but wearing a hat will keep you from having cold hands and feet.

Most of your body heat is lost through the head. And whenever your body is getting cold, it reduces the blood circulation to "superfluous" organs like hands and feet in order to keep its heat for essential stuff (i.e. your brain).

I guess that's why people used to wear night caps back in the days when houses were less than perfectly heated.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.