Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Acne

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Acne
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in a good mood today, mainly because of my skin. I left school early cause I'm in such a funk. You have no idea how many days are ruined because I'm plagued with acne. I've been avoiding my boyfriend too because of it - I feel like I'm going crazy. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.

I wash my face twice, sometimes three, times a day and it doesn't seem to help. Things were going great last week and I didn't have anything new pop up, but it seems like this week I'm get enough to make up for it.

It's not just on my face either, which puts me in an even worse mood. My friend has a formal coming up in a few weeks that I am going to and my dress is strapless and I'm terrified of appalling everyone there with the horrible acne I have.

So is there a reason for this pity party?
I read the Frequently Ask Questions thing for Skin Care but I still have some questions....

Is there a connection with smoking and acne? I don't smoke, but most of my friends do, as well as my parents so I inhale a lot of second hand smoke.
***and***
Is there anything anyone can suggest that worked for them?
I know everyone's skin is different, but I need to try something - anything.

------------------
"It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, where the first star you see may not be a star

I'm not your star -

Isn't that what you said what you thought the song meant? "

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pisces
Activist
Member # 11886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, over-washing your face can make things worse, not better. And I'd really advise not to worry that you will 'appall' people, because everyone deals with this. Some not so much, but everyone knows what it's like. And anyone who would be nasty about something like that is not worth talking to.

I don't know about any connection to smoke, so I'll move onto your second question.

What can you do? Really, you should go see a dermatologist. They can put you on antibiotics or give you a perscription for a cream, or both. They'll have a better idea of what will work. And if that doesn't help, there is a medicine called accutane, my brother had it for his skin, but it can have side effects so they usually use it as a last resort-- but that makes acne go and it shouldn't come back.

[edit] Also, don't let something like that ruin your day. If you are going home from school early, then you definately need to work something out. Ask your parents to make you an appointment, talk to a dermatologist. Acne isn't worth getting so depressed, hun. (I can say that, because I've got it too, and yes, not just on my face. And I do what I can to prevent it, am moderately successful, and am going to wear my strapless dress to prom anyway. )

[This message has been edited by pisces (edited 04-30-2003).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is affecting your life in this way, then pisces is right, you need to go see a doctor, even your regular old doctor can help you out with this! Even washing your skin and a bunch of other things to help clear it up won't help if it's hormonal or envirmentally caused. I have acne, mostly on my face, and a little on my back and shoulders. Mine is caused by weather conditions, if the weather changes to quick it's my bodies way of telling me something is up! I went to the doctor and got medicine, it's really no biggie. Just put all the worrying aside and just see a doctor!

Also, don't avoid people, it won't help the situation, I'm sure your boyfriend won't care. As for the prom thing, wear a shaw, but that will probably get put aside after you realize no one cares, they just came to have a good time.

Hope that helps!

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 3 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's hormonal, but it seems like I have ten million more hormones than the entire student body.
I don't know. I haven't lived where I do now all of my life, and I'm still kind of new, and quiet too. If people don't hear me, all they see is me...and if it were me, I wouldn't like what I saw. My drama teacher told my brother's class that I would be pretty if I didn't have acne.

GRRRR!
I'm going to stop whinning, and I apologize to anyone who read this.

But yes, a dermatologist. I've never been to one, and to be honest doctors kind of scare me, but I'm going to ask my mother tonight to make an appointment.
Do a lot of people see dermatologists? I mean, they must, or it wouldn't really be a profession, but I mean teenage people. My grandma goes to one for stuff on her arm or something like that.
Thank you again

P.S. Does anyone know anything about acne and smoke?

------------------
"It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, where the first star you see may not be a star
I'm not your star -

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sorts of people see dermatologists! And yes, lots of teens see them too. From personal experience...when I was in high school (not too long ago), I know for a fact that at least 65% of my class was seeing a dermatologist at least occasionally.

Doctors have always scared me too. I used to have the most awful anxiety attacks at doctors appointments. I always found my dermatologist to be my least scary doctor (though now none of my docs really scare me).

It was really wrong of your drama teacher to make that comment about you to your brother's class. Have your parents or your school counselor been informed about that comment? If not, then I'd suggest you do so. Teachers should not be making comments like that. Either your parents, your counselor, or some other adult needs to address this misconduct.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I talked to my mother and all and she thinks its silly, and said that for the formal maybe I could go tanning or something to try to cover up the acne on my back, but she said she'd make an appointment, so I'm looking forward to that.

As for my teacher, she's just a crotchety old lady who hates just about everyone and says what she wants when she wants, so I suppose I'll put feelings aside and take it with a grain of salt.

I'm just afraid of sitting in the office waiting and everyone thinking, How cute, another pimple-faced teenager... you know?

Blah...now I just need to face my boyfriend... He's older, and I'm just afraid that he'll think the same thing, that I'm just another pimply face.

I need a vacation!!

------------------
I'm not your star -

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by butterfly12:
I'm just afraid of sitting in the office waiting and everyone thinking, How cute, another pimple-faced teenager... you know?

Blah...now I just need to face my boyfriend... He's older, and I'm just afraid that he'll think the same thing, that I'm just another pimply face.

And what do ya suppose everybody else sitting in the waiting room at the dermatologist is there for, sweetie? Acne, eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, melanoma, allergic reactions, scabies, warts, nail health, hair loss, dandruff, pruritus, lichen planus, tinea versicolor, spider veins, athlete's foot...the list goes on and on and on. See where I'm going with this? You don't typically see a dermatologist for a sort of yearly checkup when everything is fine. People see dermatologists most often when they have a problem. So everybody's there with some issue or another.

Also, keep in mind that people of all ages get acne, so it's not limited to teens.

And as far as your boyfriend goes...sweetie, he loves you for YOU, not for what your skin looks like. I can sympathize with you on this. I've never had clear skin. And for a long time I was convinced that I wasn't pretty because of it. In addition to having acne, I've got eczema, which means that I've got not just pimples, but sometimes break out into large patches of red rashy spots everywhere. And I took alot of teasing over it in high school too. But ya know what? My boyfriend doesn't care one bit about a few zits and broken out bits. At first, I worried that he wouldn't think I was pretty because of it...but I was wrong. He thinks I'm beautiful no matter what. He just wants me to be happy. Because he love me based upon who I am, not what I look like.

So really, if you're that worried about what your partner thinks, why not ask him? Sit down with him and tell him that you're insecure about it and that people have said things in the past to you. Tell him that you've been avoiding him because you're worried about what his reaction is. See what he's got to say about it...I've got a suspicion that he'll tell you you're beautiful no matter what and not to worry about it at all.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 04-30-2003).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCagedOne
Activist
Member # 3746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCagedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any other guys have posted in this thread, but I'll give you my perspective as a guy on this one. People of all ages, sexes and races get acne, it's just something that happens. I know it can be embarrassing, but the other posters in here have some great ideas.
I have to say I was a bit concerned about you avoiding your boyfriend. If anyone can help you deal with this better, it might be him. After all, I'm sure he knows what it's like to deal with acne. He's not going to think any less of you, or think you're not beautiful. He should be supportive. Your boyfriend loves you for who you are, not what you look like. Bottom line, avoiding your boyfriend because of this is not a good idea. You need to share with him what's going on with you so he can be there for you.

------------------
"A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey"
----
"We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Posts: 52 | From: Usually somewhere between MI & FL - currently KY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I would chime in again:

I wouldn't suggest going to the tanning bed to cure the acne problem, for one it's only a short term solution (as it dries them out) and another thing is it can cause scarring. Just go see the dermatoligist or your primary care doctor. I assure you, as kitten already pointed out, everyone is there for their own skin problems, so they won't be thinking "oh look at that pimply girl."

What that teacher said was inappropriate, so I suggest you tell a parent, another teacher or consulor because she needs to learn that it's wrong to discuss such matters.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a few more words of encouragement:

if you make an appointment to see a dermatologist (or as other posters mentioned, your primary care physician can probably help you out too), they may be able to prescribe some topical treatment for you acne that can work very quickly on the trouble spots that are worrying you concerning your upcoming dance.

a few years ago, my mom started getting these really big bad pimples due to her hormones changing as she began to go through menopause. she only got them occasionally but they were big and painful so she went to see a dermatologist and was prescribed a topical treatment that worked very quickly to reduce the size of the pimple and sped up the healing time considerably. the medicine came in individual foil packets that contained a small wipe soaked in the medicine. i'm not totally certain of the name, but i think they were called Clindets?

anyway, if you are really concerned about the acne on your shoulders and back and the prospect of wearing a sleeveless/backless dress, if you explain the situation to the doctor, they may be able to suggest a "quick fix" to help you out for your big event, and start you on a more long term treatment as well. good luck!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I suffer from acne. I started in 3rd grade and now I am 30. I found a great homopathic remedy that might help. The fronter company makes it and it is drops that you put under your toung 3 times a day. It really helped me and it may help you. The antibotics and creams my dr gave me never helped. Neither did going on birth control. Good luck!
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 3 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for helping me out, you have no idea, but just reading this I felt a lot better.

JT ( my boyfriend ) and I are going to see eachother today, it's been a while and hopefully I'll have the confidance to talk to him about all this - I think I'd feel more comfortable talking about sex than acne, but I'm strong right? I can do it.

I didn't think that tanning would be a good idea either...We learned in chemistry that UV rays can damage tissue and even cause abnormalities in cells - not very tempting. Don't get me wrong, I love a nice tan just like everyone else, but I'll wait until summer to risk skin cancer just like everyone else. But I will ask the doctor for advice when I see him for a 'quick fix' and if not, I'll guess I'll just have to suck it up. Even if it doesn't work out, it isn't my formal, and its in the States so if I'm totally embarassed, I'll most likely never see any of those people again in my life.

But thank you again

------------------
I'm not your star -

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long term, btw, learning NOT to do the tanning -- in a bed or in the sun -- is going to help your skin out a LOT, with the acne and otherwise.

So, if it's really bothering you, might be the best summer to start using 15 SPF and (preferably) above sunscreens and not lay out the whole time, if you do that.

And before the formal, if you've got acne that's red and inflamed, a simple fix to tone that down a little bit is just to use something DIY and cooling on it, such as a cool compress with peppermint oil on it (very good for the skin as well).

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetprincess89
Neophyte
Member # 12936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetprincess89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i NEVER get pimples, its a blessing But, my sisters always tell me that putting toothpaste on your acne can clear it up in no time. also, dont worry about acne!! really!! ur boyfriend will love u for who u are, not for whats happening on the outside.

------------------

I'm sweet like sugar, soft like suede, but unlike Nintendo I never get played!

Posts: 24 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Toothpaste? I think I've heard of that before, but it sounds a little strange. Regular toothpaste, or the gel kind? I use the gel kind for my teeth.

Where does one get peppermint oil? My grandma actually suggested something like that too. Do you think they'd sell it just at a drug store?

------------------
I'm not your star -

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they sell peppermint oil at health food stores, herb shops, and supermarkets (baking aisle, just make sure it's oil, and not some cheap extract)

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of questions and suggestions (rhyme!) about toothpaste clearing up pimples. Yeah, it works, but it also dries out the pores and skin around where you put it. So keep it super-moisturized or find something else!!!
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Toothpaste can work, however, you want to make sure it is PLAIN toothpaste! Anything else can burn the skin,(I learnt that the hard way....OUCH!)

------------------
~Jay

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.