Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » quite off topic.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: quite off topic.....
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello-
I know this may be quite off topic but i had no one to ask.
Well i have my hairlighted (i have brown hair with blonde highlights) and the highlights aren't as bright as i'd want them to be. Would i be able to use another form of highlighting such as "Sun in" or Lemon Juice without causing the current highlights to turn orange? Thanks so much.

Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the thing I would suggest is to try a strand of hair and see what happends. If you like it use it all over your head. If you don't, then don't use it. Simple as that...

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sun-in is all low-grade peroxide bleach so really, unless you want to fry your hair utterly, I wouldn't suggest using it at all.

I'd just tell your stylist next time you get the highlights done you want them a bit brighter.

You also may find that using a color-deposit shampoo for the shade of your highlights can brighten them. Both Aveda and ArTec make good ones.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ArTec is good, thats what my stylist suggested for me, but for shampoo and comditioner was $40..and its violet, almost looks like paint, but it works pretty good. And just ask your stylist if she can go gradually brighter.
My stylist had also said never use Sun n, if you ever get a perm your hair will fall out or, i dont remeber quite what he words were, but its bad.

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 03-06-2003).]

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister used a product called blonde Goddess(it's by Nicky Clarke.)

Here's some info on it.
http://www.nickyclarke.co.uk/colour.htm

Tis pretty good by all accounts

And John Frieda has a product called Blondes. Also pretty good by all accounts.

Neither of these products are very expensive. Any pharmacy (I'll say CBS as it's the only American pharmacy I know) should have it. Or hair supply store.

[This message has been edited by Slayer_gurl (edited 03-07-2003).]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondie17
Activist
Member # 12155

Icon 6 posted      Profile for blondie17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER EVER TRY SUN-IN!!!! everyone girl i have known who has has regretted it, it makes your hair bright orange! if u want to lighten your hair yourself i suggest the clairol cap. Its amazing and makes your the hair the most beautiful colour of blonde, my friend used it last year and i recently did my sisters hair w/ it and it came out gorgeous... no orangy at all and both of them had medium bronw hair b4!!! 2 thumbs up!

------------------
~BlOnDiE~

Posts: 60 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, some of us HAVE bright orange hair -- hopefully from something less damaging than peroxide, or naturally -- and like it just fine.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's this stuff you can get to counteract the brassiness of bleached hair, it's a tinting product, it looks kind of purpley/blueish. I think it's called 'sheer blonde' and they have a whole line of products.
Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the product neg*nancy is talking about is called "toner" and a lot of hair care companies make it. It is a lavender-colored creme or liquid that you use like any other dye product.

As for Sun-In, I have had friends get good results from it, but it does require attention (don't leave it in too long and whatnot). Me personally, I'd rather get it done professionally, but since I don't have the $$$ for that, I do it myself (but I use much stronger peroxide than Sun-In)

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I did a couple summers ago with my normal hair color (light brown) was put on a staw-hat pull pieves of hair through it and put lemon juice on it. It worked great, but I was out in the pool all day just floating around, so it really had time to soak in.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been wanting to either go back on the Ar Tec, or find something new that will not just lighten up my hair, or get rid of daily damage, but eliminate the brassiness, or orange, and bring out a more even lighter/ natural blonde. I was finally getting the color i wanted, but then something happened and my hair dresser went away for a long time, and someone else was doing it, and it was a diffrent shade, my hair has orange and yellow, and i want to get back to the way it was...but the Ar Tec is expensive, so i went to my salleys beauty supply and got some cheaper violet shampoo that will get rid of the brassiness, and lighten any highlights i have...if it works out ill tell you more about it.
Its called "Stay Blonde" and its a rejuvinating shampoo, i couldnt find the conditioner though. I hope it works as good.

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trance4
Neophyte
Member # 12214

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Trance4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. No, I wouldn't use any of that stuff, it is already bad for your hair and dryes it out. You could also mess up the color of your highlights very bad. Your hair could have a bad reaction from having too many chemicals mixed in it. Talk to your stylist about what he/she thinks.

------------------
~Peace~

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Undercover Cinderella
Neophyte
Member # 4607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Undercover Cinderella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use sun-in, and have for about 5 years now, and it has made me very blond, not orange at all. I went from a medium brunette to a bright blond using just that stuff. My hair isn't fried or overly damaged. I'm sure people have had problems with it but I love the stuff...I just spray it on my roots before I blow dry.
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
*by they way, I don't have highlights so I don't know how it would react with them but as someone mentioned before a patch test on some unnoticable piece of hair could give you an idea about if you'll turn orange or not.

[This message has been edited by Undercover Cinderella (edited 03-16-2003).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Hey trance, are you talking about not using sun in, or the shampoo i was talking about useing?

Because i know theres nothing wrong with that shampoo, its prolly better for my hair than anything else. Its made to clean colored hair without stripping it, and says it wont alter your hair color. Its EXCTLY like the stuff my stylist gave me before, but not as expensive. It eliminates brassiness like the other shampoo cause its violet. And ive used it once, and my hair is already noticably softer. And i dont ut anything on my hair besides the color every other month, and shampoo and conditioner. If my hair was bleached, thats a big problem all in itself. Then i would need to worry about what else i do to it.

And i have used sun in years ago, and it lightened my hair nicely, and never did anything damage, but i stopped useing it once i decided to go fully color it. I was born blonde and my hair would get darker as i got older. But there was nothing wrong with sun in, we would spray it on, sit in the sun, and it was good. It wasnt untill a few years after stopping using it that my stylist told me it was bad and your hair and would melt it if you got a perm after using that stuff.

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 03-17-2003).]

Trance4
Neophyte
Member # 12214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trance4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, yeah sorry about the confusion, I was talking about the sun in. I don't use it, but I am going to school for Cosmetology and have learned about what different chemicals and combinations of chemicals can do to your hair.

------------------
~Peace & Love~

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.