Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Uncomfortable

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uncomfortable
*Girl*
Activist
Member # 10799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Girl*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am really really uncomfortable with the look of my vagina,well no,my labia!!! they just look out of place and not very nice.I mean the inner ones, they come out of the outer ones a bit which just dusnt look right to me. And i know no that this is normal and evrything, but still i cant help thinking that everyone elses inner labia stay inside the outer ones.Is their n e one who feels the same? I feel like i'm the only one with this, and i dont feel like ill eva want to get intimate with a boy bcoz im too ashamed of my labia.
Posts: 73 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it often takes people some time to get comfortable with their bodies in the presence of others. So, if you're not there yet, you're not there yet. That's okay. Sex should never be a hurry -- no one gets a prize for crossing the finish line first.

Do other people feel that way? Yes. But mainly, that's likely due to young women not seeing what other vulvas look like, because what you're describing is what a normal vulva looks like. In other words, you're worried about someone seeing what they would be seeing on any other living woman.

Most inner labia do extend at least a bit beyond the outer labia. It may not look "right" to you, but how many have you seen, love, in person? Likely very, very few, and if you've seen labia in pinup magazines or the lot, what you're usually looking at are labia which have been tucked and placed to look smaller than they are.

See if your library doesn't have a book called "Femailia" by Joani Blank, where you can see page after page of a wide diversity of vulvas and labia. Ask your gynecologist about what a normal vulva looks like. Spend some time realizing that not liking your vulva as-is is pretty destructive business, and remember that your genitals do serve a purpose other than for display. Your inner labia, for instance, are there for a number of reasons: they help keep bacteria out of the vagina and urethra, and they also are part of what creates sexual sensation in your genitals.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Girl*
Activist
Member # 10799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Girl*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I never realised that most vulvas were the same as mine. I thought it was a rare thing to have your inner labia a bit visable. And your right i havnt seen any others to compare to. Thanks for all your help
Posts: 73 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 12 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My protruding inner labia have found this thread worth reading: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001337.html
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hun, don't worry about it, I used to feel the same exact way until I realized it was normal and not all vulvas look the same.
So don't sweat it

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chocolaterulz
Neophyte
Member # 11562

Icon 6 posted      Profile for chocolaterulz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey hun, i used to feel exactly the same way. i thought my labia looked odd and different from everybody else, but i have recently learned that i am one hundred percent normal, every vulva is different and unique. actually it was because of this site that i have come to love my genitals....:-D
Posts: 6 | From: florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friendlydude
Neophyte
Member # 11706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friendlydude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me, he's probably just as scared as you are of being naked in front of someone else he cares about. Remember, boys are obsessed with size and whether or not a girl will say something about it being small.

If anything he'll be understanding. But I assure you labia come in all different sizes, textures and pigmentation. Don't worry about it as you're normal.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCagedOne
Activist
Member # 3746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCagedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a point...
Guys are not obsessed with size. It is very possible, and common, for guys to be completely comfortable with the size of their penis.
This is not to say a guy won't be sensitive about their partner's feelings. Honestly, if you can't trust a guy to not ridicule you or hurt your feelings, you probably don't want to be intimate with him.

------------------
"A wise monkey never monkeys with another monkey's monkey"
----
"We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Posts: 52 | From: Usually somewhere between MI & FL - currently KY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Girl*
Activist
Member # 10799

Thanx very much everyone uve made me feel a lot better Obviosily what i have cant be that rare if u all have it 2 lol thanx xxx
tinydancer18
Neophyte
Member # 11954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tinydancer18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just read all that..and well, ol if it makes u feel anybetter, im kinda uncomfortable cuz the .."lips" or whatever u wanna call em on me. i think are too big lol.
vanessa

Posts: 17 | From: iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi tiny,
the "lips" of you vulva are called "labia" (inner and outer labia), and like written in the thread, it's perfectly normal for the inner labia to be larger than the outer ones.

no reason to feel uncomfortable: i hope all this info and the talk by the others about their labia will ideally make you feel better about yourself in the long run instead of more worried and uncomfy.

for more check out Pink Parts Female Sexual Anatomy - a guided tour for your genitals!

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-23-2003).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.