Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Water?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Water?
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 4 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I searched and couldn't find any topics similar to what I needed, and I apologize if I overlooked one that did.

I started my period yesterday (of course, right on time for finals! Goodness I love being a girl) and it seems very, well, watery I suppose would be the word. There's not just blood coming down, it's soaking my sanitary napkin. I didn't think that I had any accidents or anything like that. Is this normal? I mean, I know nothing exactly is normal because everyone is different, but do you think I should see my doctor?
Thanks!

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes menstrual blood will be more "watery" and gush out in a more dramatic way than at other times. Actually, menstrual "blood" isn't just blood like the blood in your veins - there's all sorts of other stuff (like mucus) that can be in there too. So this can happen.

However, if your period suddenly changes in a dramatic way (e.g. becomes much heavier), or if you're anxious about it and want a check-up, then seeing a doctor is always a good idea.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inkie
Neophyte
Member # 8840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember someone telling me a while ago, I think it was my doctor, that taking asprin or drinking alcohol or anything else that thins your blood can make your period seem watery. Is this true or did whoever tell me that wrong? Thanks
Posts: 17 | From: my own little world, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aspirin is a blood thinner. It prevents clotting by making the platelets and proteins less able to stick together. This is why adults take aspirin to prevent heart attacks and strokes -- with thinned blood, there is less likelihood of a clot getting stuck in a bad place.

So if you were taking aspirin (not ibuprofen, not acetominophen) then it is in deed possible that your menstrual blood could appear more watery.

As for alcohol, i don't know. *shrug*

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's really kind of interesting.

It turns out that yes, I have been taking aspirin regularly, as well as an anti-biotic for a horrible sinus infection. I'm not usually big on using pain relievers....that's me, tough as nails!

Thank you for sharing what you know. I suppose it's a blessing in disguise, I mean, what girl would complain about a light period?

------------------
"A drama queen at 17 and sleeping with the boys for free - she's got a reputation of being easy.."

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.