Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » :confused: masturbation?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: :confused: masturbation?????
lolipop08
Neophyte
Member # 10333

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lolipop08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

i am confused about this ---
my friends think that masturbation is a sin but i dont !!! i even do masturbate----sometimes------ but if my friends found out they would say that i was betraing my christianity!!! pl ease help me about what i should tell them!!!

Posts: 4 | From: texas,usa | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for starters, you don't have to tell them at all if you don't want to. Your friends don't have an automatic right to know every detail of your private life .

What you choose to believe is sinful is up to you, your conscience, and your religious beliefs. It's not up to your friends. Different people, even of the same religion, may disagree about how to interpret that religion.

You might find it helpful to take a look at some of Scarleteen's articles on masturbation:

Is Masturbation Okay? (Yep)
Going Blind - A Masturbation Memoir
Jerking Off

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rule to live by:
Do want you want, when you want, how you want

------------------
Life rocks

Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long as it doesn't hurt anyone?
One area on which the AMA and Wiccans both seem to agree, and they may have a point with it.

It might be good to make sure it's legal, too.

------------------
Milke, SSBD

And if I want to, I can stay
Or if I want to, I can leave
Nobody knows me

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn2
Neophyte
Member # 7684

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Robyn2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lolipop08:

i am confused :confused: about this ---
my friends think that masturbation is a sin but i dont !!! i even do masturbate----sometimes------ but if my friends found out they would say that i was betraing my christianity!!! pl ease help me about what i should tell them!!!

"The Sin of Onan" dealt with in the Bible concerned the "spilling of seed" (semen) on the ground non-procreativly. It does not refer to masturbation per se, and certainly not female auto-eroticism.
I masturbate all the time, even in front of others, and feel no less Christian because of it.

Posts: 16 | From: Torrance, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mingo
Activist
Member # 7667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mingo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard some say that Onan's sin was not masturbating, but rather disobeying God when he was ordered to sire children with a particular woman. Like most everything in the bible it's open to interpurtation

------------------
We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

Posts: 126 | From: Ferndale, Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even know Masturbation was against Christian beliefs...(actually some of you just kind of proved it wasn't) but you should not do what your friends believe in, do what your beliefs are, and what you feel comfortable doing. Masturbating is quite a natural thing, and you should not have to let anyone know if you don't want to.
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eeew if they ask! That is gross, they are invading your personal, and when I say personal I mean personal, activities. Whether you are Christian, Buddhist, Catholic, Hindu or Islamic.. your sexuality is your responsibility, not theirs!

Good luck.

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Izzybella6
Activist
Member # 9724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzybella6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh wow! i can't believe i missed this post until now!

My friends call me the finger police because i've recently had a very firm stance that female masturbation is very, very healthy for women who like it.

Personally, i feel there is something wrong with the way your friends are being guided if they feel that pleasing your mind and body like that would be a sin. They could be simply immature and are twisting their teachings to help them feel better, or perhaps, they really were specifically told that is was a sin. It's up to you. Darn Bible Belt.

quick question, where is masturbation illegal???? that's so horrible!

Posts: 56 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Izzybella, I think what Milke was saying is in regard to doing what you will as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, NOT in regards to masturbation. I'm fairly certain that masturbation is not illegal, at least in the States. Except maybe in Texas, where selling dildos/vibrators is a criminal offense ;P (joking: I doubt masturbation's illegal there, either. Masturbating in public, however, is illegal pretty much everywhere.)

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, yeah, lemming's got it. Sorry for the confusion!

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advicesekr
Neophyte
Member # 10958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for advicesekr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Whether you masturbate or not is your own personal business and not usually to be shared. Nobody should make you feel guilty about it either as all research and medical info points to it being super healthy for people.

Also, chances are they do it too but won't admit to it or have butt backwards approaches to it and feel guilty. I say do what feels right for you and forget the rest as you won't fry in you know where for eternity for enjoying something natural that 90% of the people do.

I grew up in a religious home and was told by my parents not to let beliefs about masturbation or anything else cloud what I did or restrict me as people would like to restrict every damn thing we did if they could.

I was told to enjoy it and do it if I wanted to in the privacy of the bath, bathroom or my room with doors locked. It's really your call and your business and not something anyone else should give you an opinion on. Do what you need or want.

Posts: 10 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShlupQuack
Neophyte
Member # 6875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShlupQuack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't believe that masturbation is wrong, then I see no reason why you should feel guilty about it because it involves you and only you, and should not affect your public life. (I say that last part because some people would use that reason for doing drugs, but doing drugs does affect your public life.)

As I understand it, masturbation was originally considered a sin based on teh belief that the amount of semen in men was limited, and that masturbation was a waste of precious fluids. That rule obviously doesn't apply to females. I find no reason why masturbation would be a sin, but, then again, I've never looked heavily into it because I've never had an issue with it.

Posts: 24 | From: Corona, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confuzzled
Neophyte
Member # 10988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this helps, there is a great deal about sex in the bible, and alot of rules governing it. Leviticus 18:6-23 lays out the rules.

nowere in this passage, or in the bible have I found God saying to anyone that mastrubation is bad. hope this helps

Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn2
Neophyte
Member # 7684

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Robyn2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by a Bible scholar, for what its worth, that to withdraw early was the sin of Onan; that is how he disobeyed the Sky Monster's order to knock that particular maiden up. He spilled his seed on the ground (and on her stomach).
quote:
Originally posted by mingo:
I've heard some say that Onan's sin was not masturbating, but rather disobeying God when he was ordered to sire children with a particular woman. Like most everything in the bible it's open to interpurtation

Posts: 16 | From: Torrance, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Sky Monster?

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

lilacvase
Neophyte
Member # 11048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacvase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you decide to masturbate, you don't have to tell your friends. That is your choice and you can tell the priest you masturbated in Confession. Your friends shouldn't judge you by something that is what you want to do and isn't against the law or anything.ok?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.