Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » suicide success stories?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: suicide success stories?
bluefaerie
Neophyte
Member # 10017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluefaerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dudes. i'm doing a school suicide prevention assembly... I wanna get my success story out there but... i dont know how to have my message reach depressed unmotivated kids.. does anyone have any ideas for me? that would be so freakin rad.yeah. wee! thanks
Posts: 7 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey,
i'm assuming you mean that your success story is about how you overcame feeling depressed and suicidal, correct? when i first read your title though, my first reaction was it was about people who were successful at their attempts at suicide!

anyway, i think that what you are doing is a great thing. however, i agree that it might be difficult to find the most effective way to get your message out there. maybe you could compile some information about some famous people who committed suicide, like artists or musicians, writers, etc and show what a great loss their death created because they were so talented and who knows how much more wonderful works they could have created, etc? maybe make a video montage or something like that? you could also try to interview other kids who were in a similar situation as you and somehow present their stories. i agree that you need to have a creative approach that will get your classmates attention. good luck with your presentation and let us know how it goes!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had one of these at my school last year. Suicide has been a huge part of my life (both from myself and friends). The thing that really hit home for me was having guest speakers. There were 4 girls that were all formally depressed and suicidal who talked about their experience.

It was really eye opening.

Also, the girls weren't from our school so it was fairly anonymous.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witch_baby
Neophyte
Member # 9911

Icon 9 posted      Profile for witch_baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... this isn't exactly a sucess story... yet....

My friend "Neal" tried to commit suicide last week. I was at school when i got a call from the office saying my sister was on the phone. Odd, since I only have brothers. So I went to the office to figure out what was going on. I was Neal's little sister, having hysterics. Her older brother (and one of my closest friends) was in the bathroom with his wrists slit.

I ditched my last class and rushed over. By the time i got there he was passed out and everything was covered in blood. He was laying in the tub, and all the water was so red. I almost started having hysterics, too.

I'm still having nightmares about that afternoon.

To make a long long story short, I got ahold of some other people who could help and we got him to a hospital. Now he's staying with a friend (he's 18, so this is ok) who works from home and we visit him every day. Yesterday we even got him to laugh and smile like normal.

The thing is, all of us realized just how important he is to us. I mean, you know that your friends are important to you, but that day, i really thought he was going to die. I realized EXACTLY how big of a part of my life he was. And what would be missing from my life without him. We all are feeling bad because we feel like we should have seen it coming. We knew he had problems, and we thought he was doing ok, because we all tried to be there for him

I guess the important thing is that he's doing better now.

So that's my story.

hey.. thanks for starting this thread. I hope this can help your presentation... and i didn't realize how much i needed to get that off my chest.

------------------
Once upon an time...?
What time are we upon and where do I belong?

Posts: 21 | From: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.