Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Boob Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Boob Question
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolio2000grl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it normal to have dry, peely, itchy nipples? One of mine sometimes gets sooo dry and its annoying. Do I need to check with a doctor or does this happen to other people?? Maybe its just my bra rubbing against it?
Posts: 5 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happens to me to every once and a while, specially during winter months. I just put on some vasaline or hand lotion to lubricate and keep from drying out. Or Neosporin might work really well, to heal, lubricate, and mosturize. It worked for me.
Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Vaseline isn't the best thing to put on your nipples, and the alcohol that's often found in hand lotion can just aggrivate the problem.

When I was breastfeeding, I got cracked/itchy/bleeding nipples all the time, and what worked best for me was either simple aloe applied to the nipple or cream that's made especially for breastfeeding -- it can be found either in the pharmacy section or infant section of pretty much any store. Since the cream is made especially for use on nipples, it's probably your best bet.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is this stuff, I believe its called "bagbalm" something of that sort. The doctor prescibed it to my mom when she was breastfeeding. Its a substance kind of like vaseline but it works differently.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6829

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Goodbye_blue_sky96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a guy, and I don't have that sort of problem, but during the winter, I used to get really dry, sore, windburned hands that used to bleed n stuff. So my doctor prescribed that bagbalm stuff too, and it works good. Its sort of like vaseline, but medicated for use such as this.
Posts: 36 | From: ......up......there..... | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cumquat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Bagbalm was originally created for cows' udders! But then it got out how good it was for sensitive human skin as well.

"I want to live like I type--fast, and with lots of mistakes"

Posts: 14 | From: VA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this bagbalm the same as "udderly smooth"? They didn't even bother changing the labels on that when they started selling it at drug stores, so on instructions on mine it says, "Apply to udders and rub in" or something to the effect of that. It's all i use though because it's not greasy and it doesn't smell.

'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My nipples just got really sore and red. Also, in a matter of one day we went from 80 degrees with 90 percent humidiity to about 65 with 30 percent humidity. I've been putting udder cream on them, but it hasn't helped to much. Any other ideas?

I'm gonna talk to my gyno on monday.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9742

Icon 11 posted      Profile for coolio2000grl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why gynos know about boobs and stuff too...I mean I kind of do...but it confuses me anyway. I'm afraid to ask mine about anything besides vaginal matters.
Posts: 5 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gynocologists generally specialize in all manner of female reproductive issues. This includes breasts. That's why typically part of a pelvic exam also includes a breast exam and/or an explaination of how to do your own breast exams at home too. Remember too that your gynocologist is a doctor. S/he went to med school, just like all other doctors. Only afterward s/he chose to do more specialized training in the area of gynocology. Now granted, this means your gynocologist probably won't be the one doing your open heart surgery. But just because s/he is a "gynocologist" doesn't mean that they know absolutely nothing about the rest of the body.

Never be afraid to ask your gyn anything at all. What's the worst that can happen? They may refer you to someone else who may specialize more in treating that part of your body if they don't happen to be well versed in the answer to your question. Your gynocologist is there to help you take proper care of your body. You are responsible for your body and your health...and you certainly shouldn't be afraid to ask your health care provider any questions you may have.

Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.