Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hair Dye

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hair Dye
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just dyed my hair blonde, and I like it.....but it's not as blonde as I wanted it. Right now it's like, Jessica Beil blonde. I was hoping for Gwen Stefani. And, being the impatient teenager that I am, I want to be platinum blonde NOW. Would I be alright if I redyed my hair? Or I should I wait until it washes out (it' L'Oreal Open, and it's permanent, so I don't know if it will wash out!). Or, would I be safe bleaching and starting all over again?

Thanks for any help .

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your hair is naturally dark, you will only end up with a light reddish result if you use a blonde hair dye, and yes, as L'Oreal Open is a permanent colour, it will not wash out- only grow out.

I'm not sure what would happen if you dye your hair again, but I recommend that rather than experimenting and risking ruining your hair, that you invest in visiting a good hairdresser who can professionally lighten your hair and give you the shade that you want.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a veteran of an unbelievable amount of hairdying at only 16, I think I can offer some advice here. A few months ago I went dark blonde, then I went strawberry blonde, then a godawful orange, until I decided I wanted to bleach my hair. My hair seems to handle hair dye well, so I wasn't too worried when I made the drastic change.

Since you just got it dyed permanent, and you want to use a bleacher, which is quite harsh, I'd say wait a few weeks. I tried to wait 3 weeks-a month before dying my whole head a new colour. I've never been to a hair dresser, but i seriously think they would tell you to wait a bit to, and give your hair a bit of a break.

To get my hair the bleached, Gwen Stefani, colour that it is now, i used a cheap blonding kit, that made my hair patchy, and i didn't like it at all. I switched to Feria, blonding kit(i can't remember the number but i think it's the lightest and it's new, so the box still has that "new" off to the side). I was very happy with the results on my hair. I dyed the whole thing twice with a blonding kit, until my hair was even and now i bleach the roots every two weeks. My hair looks remarkably well for the amount of dye that's been thrown in throughout the past 4 years, but that's just me.

You may want to consult a hair salon before jumping into bleach, because like i said, i've never been to one, and i don't know what kind of advice they would give you. And also, i'm sure our hair is quite different.

What i do when i want a new colour is just shop around the isles, find one i like, and give it a shot. If i don't like it, i dye over in a few weeks. If you aren't comfortable then get a second opinion on what is best for your hair.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HockeyGrl
Neophyte
Member # 9401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HockeyGrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god...my area of specialty hahah

I have been every single shade of blonde from strawberry to pale to WHITE!

My advice would be using a product called FROST AND GLOW ...it is especially formulated to create a pale blonde colour and since you already have dye in your hair you`ll get the desired look...I used to dye my hair blonde religiously but after a while I found that my hair was beginning to fall out and break off...literally snap off....so make sure you condition well with FROST AND GLOW other than that I`m sure you`ll look fabulous!

ps. you`re hair will actually have a very shiny "GLOW" to it...it looks killer!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel_Kisses
Activist
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel_Kisses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!
I just died my hair also,but it was like almost a month ago..I had Brown hair and my sister used Ash Blonde and my hair turned a arburn..It has blonde in it..It says in the paper thingy that you are suppost to wait 1 month before you redye it or bleach it..
My sister told me that if I was to dye my hair sooner than what the thing said then I wouldnt have to worry about brushing my hair for a LONG TIME..Hehe..
I would wait..
A_K

Posts: 52 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute, does blonde even wash out at all?

Here's my 2 on hair dye. I have jet black hair naturally. I bleach my bangs to "gwen" blonde (she bleaches, too -- her natural color is dark brown). I use Clairol Professional products: Pure White 40 volume creme developer and BW 2 powder lightener. You mix the two together to get this caustic cream with the consistency of thick buttermilk. Then, if you are brave enough, you paint it into your hair.

I cannot get platinum blonde on the first try. after 2 hours or so, my hair is orangish, but I have to stop. Going too far will burn out your hair and it'll just fall out. Then I wait about three days before dyeing it again. This time around, it'll go platinum. If it doesn't, i have to wait three more days.

I'm not a big fan of the box stuff they sell at Target/Wallgreens/Walmart et al. I just go to a beauty supply store to get my goods.

------------------
"In God we trust. All others must pay cash..." faw-choon kookie say.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lithiumbarbiedoll
Neophyte
Member # 9186

Icon 6 posted      Profile for lithiumbarbiedoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was wondering..what about funky colours? cause i want to dye my hair blue (if my work lets me..and if not well i think im getting a new job ;0) but anyways i have fairly dark brown hair so i know ill need to bleach it to strip the colour and then dyr it blue...but i was wondering if it would damage my hair in the long run if i bleach then dye...i have only gotten highlights in my hair before...but i dont really want my hair to fall out...got any sugestions? =)

------------------
i knew i was an unwanted child when i discovered my bath toys were a toaster and a radio

Posts: 34 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will damage it, but so long as you're careful about following instructions, and okay with the texture of your hair not being quite what it was, that's okay. You might be best off, if your hair is anything but short, dying it in streaks, or only dying the ends, which is what I do, which means that if I need to get rid of the colour quickly I can cut it off and only lose a few inches.

------------------
You're the one I adore
You're my C64

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Litium, good thing you realized you need to bleach it first. I natuarally have dark brown hair, and I dyed it blue one time without bleaching it (I'm scared of bleach).....it turned out gray! Lucky me, the hair dye was terrible quality and only lasted for 2 days. Get a really good conditioner-like L'Oreal's 3 Minute Miracle for Color Treated hair. It works wonders!
Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.