Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » My dad's got homophobia!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My dad's got homophobia!
GaiaTheorist
Neophyte
Member # 9542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaiaTheorist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm bi, and even though my mom's awkward and even a bit rude about it, she hasn't disowned me or anything. I try to bring up GBLT subjects around my dad (they're divorced) occassionally to lessen the load when I tell him eventually. But whenever I try to, he says that from the bottom of his heart he thinks they should all be thrown in prison until they "stop being queer." He's a total redneck, the total opposite of my mom and I. I am so scared he'll disown me. He's a stubborn jerk, set in his ways, and makes rude gay jokes all the time. Should I tell him? And if so, how?

------------------
Scherezade

**Edited for length**

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 08-14-2002).]

Posts: 5 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending to Parents, Adults, and Teens

------------------
You're the one I adore
You're my C64

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
. . . And re-opened due to board glitches.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Product_of_Sweden
Neophyte
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Product_of_Sweden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you're going through. I am gay guy and where I live people are very stubborn when it comes to excepting gays. Nobody has an open mind. Of course where I live, you could call most of the people rednecks or hillbillies or whatever. But, it is hard. And it's frustrating that people can just not even try to be understanding or respect that we are just a tad different from the norm.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please keep in mind that while coming out and being honest with the people you care about is often a good move that will not be the case if it puts you in any danger.

Your safety and wellbeing (both physical and emotional) need to come first.

[hug]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.