Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Nail biting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nail biting
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola todos.
I still bite my nails as I did when I was a little girl.
I quit for the longest time but started up again just in time for high school...
And here I am, just a couple years away from graduation, still nibbling.
So, how can I quit?
My mom has suggested snapping a rubber-band on my wrist, but that seems slightly sadistic to me...
PS- I did a search with no results, but if I missed something, please let me know!

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bit my nails for many years, and still do at times- however, most of the time I do not. I actually need to cut my nails at the moment, which was something I didn't need to do for years, because my teeth did it for me.

I found that the reason it is such a difficult habit to break is because its something you do subconsciously. Even if you use the rubber band, you may not even realise that you are doing it half the time. I had brief periods of success from using nail polish- if you've spent a lot of time working on your nails, you don't want to ruin it, and besides, nail polish tastes bad. However, as I'm not really a nail-polish type of girl, I soon grew weary of it, and my old habits came back.

What did work for me was resolving some emotional issues that I didn't even know I had for a long time. Once I had those resolved, the nail biting magically stopped, without me even trying. Now, when I find myself returning to the habit, I search through recent happenings thoroughly for things that might have brought those old issues back up again- and then I work on those issues.

Now, this may not be the case with you, but I do suggest that you take a look at your life since you started nail biting, and see if there have been any ongoing issues (especially ones relating to self esteem) over that period.

Good luck.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been biting my nails for about six years now, and I've tried a lot of things including putting vinegar on my nails(instead of iscouraging me I discovered a fondness for the taste of vinegar) and using over the counter treatments to put on your nails to make them taste absolutely vile. Biting you nails often starts out as a nervous habit and turns into a habit(like myself).

The best way to conquer this I think is through your own will power. Every time you go to bite your nails stop yourself. Make it extra difficult to bite through them by wearing nail strenghtener nail polish(this is clear, so it doesn't really feel like nail varnish- I hate nail varnish!). This helps, but ultimately its your will power that stops you from biting them.

Unfortunately I have the will power of a monkey so I'm still the proud owner of chewed awway nails, on what I know could be really pretty hands if I stopped.

I ahve an idea, lets start a support group for nail biters in the support group forum. Anyone on ST who bites their nails can sign up and we'll encourage each other!!!

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped biting my nails when I was 13. I got a manicure. I was so loathe to mess up my nice painted nails that I quit, cold turkey.

my best friend has always bitten her nails and when she runs out of nails she chews her fingers till they bleed - but she's been "clean" for about 3 weeks now, and her hands look so much better for not being all bitten up and I'm sure they feel much nicer.

and if she can do it, anyone can. ;] I notice it's much more unpleasant to bite them with nail polish on - but I'm sure you've tried that...?

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexy_dani882
Neophyte
Member # 8431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexy_dani882     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive got a quite inexpensive solution! lose the tape around nails or rubber bands etc etc.... i was in shoppers drug mart and came across a 6ml bottle of clear nailpolish....its about 5 bucks...its works like a charm!!!! firstly, it hardens your nails so theyre A LOT easier to bite but most importantly it has the most horid taste ive ever tasted in my ENTIRE life....2 weeks later...long and healthy nails...now i can actually gert a manicure!!
Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess I was a nail biter too. For years and years I bit my nails off way down. I tried to stop quite a few times, and for some reason the promise of cash if I stopped (my grandma offered to pay me if I'd just stop), and being teased by several people in school never seemed to work to get me to stop. Then I met my boyfriend online, and we started talking about meeting. I took a look at my hands and thought "I can't let him see my nails looking like that!", and I stopped cold turkey.

Not that that is a solution to your situation. But I'd suggest finding yourself a reason to stop biting them. Everytime you start to chew them, then remind yourself of why you're stopping. Try the bit with the nail polish too, that might help.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 6 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped biting my nails a few months ago, and I've got a pretty nifty solution...

I figured out that I only bit my nails when I was bored out of my head, e.g. Maths lessons, so my friend and I made some toffee coated pencils, and whenever I got the urge to bite my nails, I stuck a pencil in my mouth instead. After a few weeks of doing this I got absolutely SICK of toffee, but I didn't bite my nails again...

OK I'll stop there, it's starting to sound like a commercial! Wait for it - 'Badger's boredom busters, now available in most shops..'

Anyway, it's a great solution for nail biting if it's boredom related, but make sure you brush your teeth plenty!

*Badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.