Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Alternative Menstrual Products

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternative Menstrual Products
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've read On the Rag -- http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/ontherag.html -- you have an idea about how we feel about a lot of commercial pads and tampons, which use rayon fibers and bleaches that aren't good for you, as well as contributing to environmental waste for no good reason.

I just had to take a second to plug a really great company who just totally redid their website (thanks to two wonderful designers and gals I'm glad to call friends, Lauren and Emira of the wonderful 'zine SoapboxGirls): Lunapads.

Looking through this this morning I was thrilled to see that beyond their excellent washable cotton pads (which even come in leopard print, my personal favorite) they just added "Lunapanties," several different varieties of cotton panties which come with a swen-in minipad in the crotch -- a godsend for those of us who can tend to be "leakers," for extra protection of you use menstrual sponges, or for nighttime use.

They're a really great Canadian company who also ship and distribute in the US, their prices are more than reasonable (especially if you're swapping from throwaway pads, you'd be amazed at how much money you save in a year), and beyond their pads and panties, they also sell the Keeper, menstrual sponges and organic cotton tampons.

I have a few pads from them I have literally had for over five years. But a spanky new site, of course, reminds me that I need to order some new ones!

So, might just want to take a look and explore the idea. If you're new to this stuff, they have some excellent articles about alternative and commercial menstrual products of interest.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow. awesome redesign.
can especially recommend checking out the extensive testimonials.

only downside: now i crave a couple of thong lunapanties.

quote:
Wearing Lunapanties is like a dream come true. All the comfort of a teddy bear between my legs, combined with knowing that I won't get any stains on my clothes.

Who doesn't want a teddy bear between her legs?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, I was just about to start a thread about this. I have LOVE alternative menstrual products! I recently bought a Keeper and two minipads from Many Moons (they have a special on mini pads if you buy the Keeper) Cleaning pads and the Keeper isn't very time-consuming, and it's so much more comfortable. I use the Keeper most of the time with a mini pad as a pantyliner. The one downside is that the mini pads from Many Moons aren't color fast, even in cold water. I'm planning to get more in organic cotton.

The Lunapanties sound wonderful. I have a pair of hole-ridden panties that I'm using as "period panties". Time for a replacement!

Geez, before reusable menstrual products, I never got this excited about my period.

------------------
Kindness and honesty can be expected only from the strong.
Anonymous

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my reusable pads... I'm a total cheapskate, so I love not having to buy new ones. It's very easy to make your own, even if you only have basic sewing skills. Cotton flannel tends to be very cheap at most fabric stores, and often comes in cute prints.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 14 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for this thread! I was just thrilled to see a discussion for alternative menstrual products and cannot be happier with my Glad Rags (great name huh?) and the Lunapanties...me want!

Funny thing, when I contacted Always to ask what sorts of materials they used to make sanitary napkins, there's never any mention of what materials they use, I was surprised to see the word polyurethane.

Is that safe or healthy?!

quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo:
I love my reusable pads... I'm a total cheapskate, so I love not having to buy new ones. It's very easy to make your own, even if you only have basic sewing skills. Cotton flannel tends to be very cheap at most fabric stores, and often comes in cute prints.

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that once you learn more about disposable pads, one agrees that it's not. Problem is, most women in the US and Canada probably have never even considered that you could use reuseable menstrual products.

I'm seriously trying to convert all my friends. Many of them seem weirded out by the notion of the Keeper and such, but to me, it seems a lot more sensible than using bleached rayon things. And washing pads is no big deal! I used to be like "ack..." when I got my period. Now, I hardly notice it in my daily activities. I must convert others!

------------------
Kindness and honesty can be expected only from the strong.
Anonymous

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me about it, I continued badgering Always asking them why couldn't they use more natural materials, such as cotton,and the reply was it sticks to you and women wouldn't want to buy a product like that. <!>

Which is why I'm all for converting all my friends too. And yeah, you get to a stage where you initially go, "ewww..." but I feel it keeps you more connected with your body and what it's going through.

Conversion is the thing!

BTW, Has anyone seen the poster of Female Merit Badges by Mary Yeager? There's one for getting your first period which I think should be given to everyone once they do!

I wonder if they have patches so you can sew it onto something...

quote:
Originally posted by Ashy:
I think that once you learn more about disposable pads, one agrees that it's not. Problem is, most women in the US and Canada probably have never even considered that you could use reuseable menstrual products.

I'm seriously trying to convert all my friends. Many of them seem weirded out by the notion of the Keeper and such, but to me, it seems a lot more sensible than using bleached rayon things. And washing pads is no big deal! I used to be like "ack..." when I got my period. Now, I hardly notice it in my daily activities. I must convert others!

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.