Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » kissing with eyes open

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kissing with eyes open
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else ever had their partner point out that it's "creepy when you have your eyes open when we kiss"? I wasn't even aware that I did this, but now I'm extra self-conscious. It's weird, but now that I make sure to close my eyes, I get all paranoid...It's like if I can't see what's going on, I don't want anything happening. But it's a very subconscious thing...grr. Anyway, is the common thing for people to close their eyes when they kiss (as in the more involved stuff, not merely a henpeck on the lips )?

------------------
~*frog*~

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you know, this is something i think about sometimes too. sometimes when i am kissing my boyfriend, i open my eyes and see that his eyes are open and i kind of feel weird, like i'm not supposed to be watching or something, so i close my eyes. and other times i open my eyes and his are closed. i understand how you feel cause its just kind of weird to me also. but i don't think its a bad thing or something you should worry about. perhaps your kissing partner just gets a little freaked out with you watching them as they are kissing you, like maybe they are self-conscious and think they might look silly. some people might like to kiss with their eyes open and make eye contact with their partner. at any rate, i don't think your partner should make you feel uncomfortable about what you are doing and vice versa. maybe you could ask them why they don't like the notion of you kissing with open eyes?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazz
Activist
Member # 6206

Icon 10 posted      Profile for mazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think its a pretty common thing for people to close thier eyes whilst kissing, but i personally like making eye contact when kissing. I feel like im connecting with the person better if we're looking into eachothers eyes - especially if i share a close emotional connection with the person im kissing.

I agree with gloworm though - i dont think that either of you should do things that make the other person uncimfotable, so you should talk to your partner about this more if you feel self concious about it.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I usually keep my eyes closed while kissing, and so does my boyfriend, but sometimes I open my eyes and I love looking at my boyfriend enjoying the kiss. It might be weird, but it feels good knowing that my boyfriend is into the kiss. I know he does it too because sometimes I open my eyes and I catch him with his eyes open.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's kind of creepy. I was making out with a friend of mine this one time, and I open my eyes to find her just staring at me. It was kind of weird, but that was mostly because it was a sort of one time make out fling deal.

I prefer to kiss with eyes closed, but sometimes it's nice to watch the other person really enjoying the kiss, or just make eye contact with them.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hadn't thought about this before, but I was curious enogh about what other people thought to start some late-night ICQ querying. Recipent of these queries who actually responded said he thought it was sort of freaky when people on TV did it, but didn't seem too concerned by the idea of people doing it normally. So, I'm most inclined to see it as one of those things that seems weird on analysis, but is otherwise okay.

------------------
Why scream and cry when you know it's true?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here's my reason for closing my eyes when i kiss: my eyes can't focus that closeup. they'll cross and my eye muscles will strain, and it's pretty uncomfortable.

but there's no right or wrong way. unless it creeps out your partner, in which case, adapt.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting...I can't literally see anything that close up either, but for some reason my mind thinks that if my eyes are open, I'll be able to "see" what's going on. It's not like I have my eyes wide open...just halfway...But yes...if it creeps her out, then I'll close my eyes.

------------------
~*frog*~

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinnie Tesla
Neophyte
Member # 8041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnie Tesla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by froggish:
Has anyone else ever had their partner point out that it's "creepy when you have your eyes open when we kiss"?

If your partner's eyes are closed, how can s/he tell yours are open?

Posts: 21 | From: Somewhere near Boston | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I kiss with my eyes closed because everything gets all distorted when you looking so close up, It looks so funny I would just start laughing, and it also feels like my eyes are going crosseyed...

But at any rate, I think vinnie is right, how can your partner tell if your eyes are open if theirs aren't opened as well...
but if you really wanna see whats going on, just make it look like your eyes are closed but actually take little quick peeks to see whats goin on it works, that's what I always do, and I think my boyfriend kisses with his eyes open but I never look into his eyes, or again, I'll break into histerics

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vinnie, that cracked me up.

I think the kissing feels much more intense when both of our eyes are open. You can't pretend, or think about anything else when you're looking into someone else's eyes and mooshing body parts together. ;] Maybe that's what makes some kissing partners uncomfortable.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and i actually kiss with our eyes open quite often. It's nice to look into each other's eyes (not stare...just gaze) and see each other enjoying it. When we're really into the kiss we close our eyes, but i always sneak a peek or two (or three) He's so cute when he kisses me.

------------------
"Distance and time do not make the heart grow fonder, but only serve to show he who is missing how deep and vigilent his love lies." ~~My boyfriend :)

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never opened my eyes while kissing. I guess keeping my eyes closed just seemed like the thing to do. With my eyes closed, I can capture and enjoy the moment more. Hmm, maybe sometime I'll open my eyes to see what it's all about!

------------------
So don't let the world bring you down,
Not everyone here is that f*cked up and cold,
Remember why you came and while you're alive,
Experience the warmth before you grow old

~*Only God Knows Why*~

Seein' Red: My Teen Open Diary

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no one has ever told me it's creepy, but i generally keep my eyes closed anyway. i just don't like looking at people that close up! and it's not really a good angle for eye-gazing anyway, at least not for me. :-)

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ssexxigurl18
Neophyte
Member # 4811

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ssexxigurl18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay well I prefer to kiss my boyfriend with my eyes closed but I guess some people might like to keep their eyes open when they kiss... I just feel that it is more romantic to kiss with your eyes closed but thats just my opinion so hope this helps....
Posts: 35 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i usually have my eyes closed when i kiss... the only time i open my eyes is to make sure my bf has his closed (the only time he has his open is when he's not paying attention like looking around for other people who mite be watching... or watching tv... grrrr!)
so then... i make sure he starts paying attention heehee =)

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I kissed someone and noticed their eyes open, it creeped me out. It was just, really really unexpected. But now I find myself keeping my eyes open more and more...I just like to see their face...their eyelashes, their eyes if they're open too. It makes me smile right now just thinking about it
Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FalconWing
Neophyte
Member # 7090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FalconWing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend rarly closes his eyes and when we first started to go out i found it weird. But a long while later i've come to like it. Its really nice to open my eyes and see these beautiful bright blue eyes looking at me with such love. now i rarly close my eyes too. it makes everything more intense to realize someone loves you that much that they don't want to not see you for a second. Or thats my crazy way of thinking about it.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karabear3000
Neophyte
Member # 8392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karabear3000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well its rude to stare u know!! ;-) lol
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.