Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bodyhair (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Bodyhair
ophelialives
Neophyte
Member # 24162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ophelialives     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am stuck in the unfortunate position of being half Italian and half German, heritages which gave me thick, black body hair, and ridiculously pale skin. *sigh* I started shaving my legs/ underarms when I was in 6th grade, mostly as a reaction to my classmates' teasing. I still only shave my legs and armpits, although my arms are rather hairy as well. For some reason, that doesn't seem to bother me, whilst hair on my legs just makes me feel unclean. Not that shaving is a picnic at all. I'm prone to ingrown hairs... a fate worse than death, let me tell you. I pretty much avoid shaving my bikini area because it just ends up being rather painful/ ugly-looking, so I always wear shorts over my bathing suit. *shrug* Bah. One of these days I'm just going to bite the bullet and have electrolysis done. But with my fear of pain... yeah, I'll be shaving for a while longer.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelgirl1
Neophyte
Member # 24178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a weirdness when it comes to hair. I shave usually once a week or so, but sometimes I get lazy and don't feel like it, or sometimes I do it every other day. But I won't do it for anyone but me, that's for sure. If they do not like the hair, they can deal.
Posts: 23 | From: Falls Church, VA, United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HumanTornado
Activist
Member # 23519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HumanTornado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shave my armpits and my legs simply because I prefer it that way.

But I am sort of shocked by the amount of people who said they shave because they were being made fun of/think body hair is gross/ are afraid their boyfriend will think it's gross. Geez, people, it's *hair*. It's there for a reason and it's probably the most natural thing on earth. Anyone who would turn down a girlfriend because she has pubic hair really needs to reconsider if they're ready for sex if they can't even deal with the human body.

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 24185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12345     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i tried laser, it was ok, but i just have to shave it now

Posts: 13 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisses Me Pink
Activist
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those people who just doesn't like hair. The only hair I have is on my head...and the occasional hairs on ze toes. However...I shave my toes from time to time too. I don't know. I'm just not a hair lover.

I'm just the opposite with guys though. I always prefer hairy guys to body-bald guys.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisses Me Pink
Activist
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those people who just doesn't like hair. The only hair I have is on my head...and the occasional hairs on ze toes. However...I shave my toes from time to time too. I don't know. I'm just not a hair lover.

I'm just the opposite with guys though. I always prefer hairy guys to body-bald guys.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shave my armpits most frequently because I just don't really like hair there on me, but I do get lazy sometimes and let it grow out a little. My boyfriend is lucky if he sees me on a day I shave my legs. Now my girly-parts, I go for the bikini line mostly because I just find it kind of gross to see hair sticking out of the undies/bathing suit and I figure not a lot of other people want to see that too.

I wanted to go au naturale (sp?)"down there", minus bikini line, but my boyfriend isn't really for it. I was before dating him. He thinks women shouldn't be hariy, but I told him if we weren't meant to be then why do we grow hair there?

Eh he doesn't ask too much of me in the grooming department except that. He's a good enough sport to accept my hairy legs and sometimes hairy pits.

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
recuntulous
Neophyte
Member # 24947

Icon 1 posted      Profile for recuntulous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new to here, but I have a question in addition to saying, yeah, don't shave if you don't want to shave.

I haven't shaved in about a year. I'm 20. a year ago, i gave all my razors to a friend and decided that i won't do it anymore. it's painful and takes a lot of time and my underarms get really really irritated when i shave, and they're fine if i don't.

now. I want to bleach my underarm hair and dye it a very bright color. I think i want to start with hot pink. green would be very weird. maybe purple. but. does anyone know about bleaching underarm hair? My pits were easily irritated when I was shaving, so I'm afraid that bleach might upset them too. Is there some gentle form maybe meant for upper lip hair or something that I could try?

Posts: 1 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How fun!

I'd suggest going to a salon (hopefully you have some more crazy, punk=ish salons near you) and speaking to a professional there who may be able to do it for you.

I know bleaching or dying either your pubic hair or your eyebrows on your own or even at all is a big no-no (since you just DON'T want those chemicals around your genitals AT ALL, and for eyebrows you have to be careful to not get the checmicals into your eyes), but I've never come across anything that has mentioned underarm-hair, probably since it's not a common idea.

The sensitive-skin could be a big issue, since underarm skin is generally more sensitive and the process may be more difficult or you'd be unable to do it do to sweat, etc.; but that may be another good reason to check at a salon and ask questions there. It may also not hurt to check with a doctor and see if they have any reasons that you shouldn't be mesing with your underarms. (Also, similar to hair dying and other product use, you could do a small spot test, maybe, per irritation issues?)

Good luck on the search, though, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you opt for purple or blue, you might not have to do the bleaching at all. In my youth, I dyed my hair often. I found blue was plenty bright without bleaching. There are also some wild colors that are meant to be put on dark hair.

I do like your idea though. It sounds fantastic!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
N3N44
Neophyte
Member # 24798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for N3N44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::sigh:: i read through most people's replies, and it saddened me to realize how uncomfortable with my OWN body i must seem... all these women are hairy, and HAPPY.
.... i started shaving my legs in like fourth or fifth grade. then in fifth or sixth, my underarms. near the end of sixth grade, i started shaving my arms and pubic area. ive been doing my eyebrows also since fourth grade.
now i alternate between shaving and waxing with my stomach, legs, arms, pubic area, underarms, and lower back. i dont know why, but hair on my kinda bothers me.. but hair on other people is fine.
its not like, a growing up too fast thing, i wasnt allowed to wear make up until i was fourteen or so- it was just i have SO MUCH hair, that my mom said it woudl be okay to get rid of since othe rkids made fun of me.

maybe i should give it all a rest for a bit, see if i mind.
ill probably end up with a lot more free time, thats for sure

Posts: 13 | From: Vancouver, WA, United States | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PuNkYeGg
Activist
Member # 21320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PuNkYeGg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....Body hair...Im only 14 and i have quite alot of body hair, on my legs, arms, pubic area, upper lip, hands, stomach, chest etc. its not a major deal though! I get really uncomfortable with my facial hair, yet im not too fussed about anything else. Yeah i shave, mainly just my legs and underarms but theres not really much need to if your not going out. I like to feel smooth, but i dont have a problem with body hair. Most people feel self consious about some furry bits, but the people who see it usualy dont care. So if you have it, love it. Or if you dont love it, get rid of it. Just make sure you do what makes you feel good, dont let other peoples comments influence you!!
Posts: 97 | From: Uk | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have extremely hairy arms and legs and fine hairs everywhere else (except my palms and the soles of my feet) that are about a centimeter long. I shave my legs about once a week (because my boyfriend likes it) and my armpits the same times (because I like it). I also have bushy eyebrows, over-abundant eyelashes,and sideburns that nearly go past my ears. And to top it off, the hair on my jaw line is (I'm guessing) about 1.5cm. (I blame it on being half French.)

My classmates have told me for years that I should take care of my hair problem, but it's never really bothered me. Then again, I've been lucky enough to have very fair hair (everywhere but my legs and pubes) with all of being either blonde or red, so it might be because you can't see it that well.

The only issue I've ever had is that my boyfriend seems to like petting my cheeks and belly, and even then I enjoy atention.

[This message has been edited by tinyrebel (edited 09-06-2005).]

Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheerchickie2009
Neophyte
Member # 25382

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheerchickie2009     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shave my legs and armpits, but I don't know if I want to shave my pubic hair yet.I think that it's really gross when a girl has armpit hair, I don't really care about leg hair. I started shaving when I was about 12.
Posts: 2 | From: New Cumberland, WV, United States | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheerchickie2009:
I think that it's really gross when a girl has armpit hair, I don't really care about leg hair.

And yet, hair grows in women's armpits, all the same, and worldwide, more women go without shaving than those who do. Through nearly all of history, save the last 100 years or so, pretty much ALL women had hair in their pits, as-is.

Let's please remember to avoid calling anyone's body or how they choose to tend to it gross on the boards, please. It's both rude and destructive.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichSM2
Activist
Member # 13662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichSM2         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have hair on my fingers.

I consider myself somewhat a hairy person, and I think in the black community, that is somewhat unheard of. You look at people from Sub-Saharan Africa, and they barely have hair on their body. Me? I have hair EVERYWHERE except for the inside of my arms and inside of my legs and palms and soles of my hands and feet. Thankfully, I'm not growing a beard or anything, but I've noticed a few long hairs (FEW) on my chin that need plucking occassionally. Both of my parents are hairy argh!!! But I believe I'm much hairier than my mother. And I'm a black girl whose hair on her head is almost down to her waist. People always ask if I'm mixed in ancestry or what not or how pretty (jet black) it looks on me. Sighs.

Since its' fall/winter season, I don't even shave. I save the shaving process when it gets warmer and sunnier. I just lie in my hairyness.

Posts: 93 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waste my time
Neophyte
Member # 26000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waste my time     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont care much for shaving. im only 16 and i dont shave my legs unless i get bored, or about every 2-3 months or so.
im redheaded, and have the pale skin, so my body hair is white/blonde and you can hardly see it. but i shave my underarms every other day or 2 just because i think it feels better.

My boyfriend acts like women not shaving is a sin. No one ever said that women had to shave, its not a law or anything.
i told him ill shave if he shaves. and he wont. so i wont.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good on you. An absolutely perfect response!

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Good on you. An absolutely perfect response!

Electro057
Neophyte
Member # 26144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electro057     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well........i am 15 and i don't even have body hair . i envy you people. What i wouldn't give to look like chewbacca! Damn freakin crappy genes and their no hair chromosomes. We'll at least i got a nice head of hair!

------------------
i'll start being nicer if you start being smarter

Posts: 28 | From: Guelph, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's nice when my legs are all smooth and shaven. It makes me feel good. But I don't often bother to shave them because I'm lazy and I think it takes too much effort. Besides, I hardly ever wear anything but long pants, so no one ever sees my legs (except in the locker rooms). And really I don't much care either way. What I do have an issue with, is the hair on my face. Most of the time it's pretty fair and non-noticeable, in which case it doesn't bother me, but every now and then I'll get these wierd long dark hairs on my forehead and cheeks. Those are plucked right away. And, in addition to that, my eyebrows and nosehairs are pretty out of control. So I like to keep that in check. :) Mostly, though, I'm comfortable with my body hair.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's nice when my legs are all smooth and shaven. It makes me feel good. But I don't often bother to shave them because I'm lazy and I think it takes too much effort. Besides, I hardly ever wear anything but long pants, so no one ever sees my legs (except in the locker rooms). And really I don't much care either way. What I do have an issue with, is the hair on my face. Most of the time it's pretty fair and non-noticeable, in which case it doesn't bother me, but every now and then I'll get these wierd long dark hairs on my forehead and cheeks. Those are plucked right away. And, in addition to that, my eyebrows and nosehairs are pretty out of control. So I like to keep that in check. :) Mostly, though, I'm comfortable with my body hair.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lemming- You mentioned bleaching your mustache and asked if anyone knew of a good bleach. Actually!!!!!...... I don't. However, I was in your shoes once. I would go through the same routine of making those little hairs above my upper lip lighter than they wanted to be so they would be less obvious. Then, one day I made a discovery that ended my tedious, burning bleaching sessions forever: A little trimming with some nail scissors once every week or two is a far easier, better option. I just cut the hairs short, and it doesn't matter how light or dark they are because they are no longer noticeable. I believe that most women have SOME hair above their upper lips, anyways. I was self-conscious about it, and I like the way my face looks without it better. Hooray for little nail scissors :-D!

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lemming- You mentioned bleaching your mustache and asked if anyone knew of a good bleach. Actually!!!!!...... I don't. However, I was in your shoes once. I would go through the same routine of making those little hairs above my upper lip lighter than they wanted to be so they would be less obvious. Then, one day I made a discovery that ended my tedious, burning bleaching sessions forever: A little trimming with some nail scissors once every week or two is a far easier, better option. I just cut the hairs short, and it doesn't matter how light or dark they are because they are no longer noticeable. I believe that most women have SOME hair above their upper lips, anyways. I was self-conscious about it, and I like the way my face looks without it better. Hooray for little nail scissors :-D!

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.