Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Short girls, tall guys.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Short girls, tall guys.
new2thegame
Neophyte
Member # 6211

Icon 5 posted      Profile for new2thegame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that with most heterosexual relationships, that usually the guy is taller than the girl... so I was speaking to a lot of my friends and ALL the guys said that they like girls who are shorter than them, and ALL the girls said they like guys who are taller?!? I must admit, though, I like girls who are shorter than me. (not a good thing, though 'coz i'm only 5"6!)

hehe...

what are your thoughts/experiences with this?

Posts: 5 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, you're dealing with a worldwide population, so it's hard to say *all* of these people like this, whereas *all* of those people like that. here at ST, we call it a generalization, and we try to avoid them as much as possible because there'll always be other who don't fit into these boxes we put them in.

with that said, it is my own personal opinion that i prefer a guy who is equally as tall, or taller than me. this is not hard to come by as i'm 21 years old and 5'3" (about 160cm), which means most of the people in my dating pool are done growing and generally have reached a height greater than mine.

but i know a few girls who don't mind being taller than their mates. my best friend stood about 5 inches taller than her boyfriend in high school. they didn't think it was a problem and they were quite happy. then there was this guy i used to date who was as talle, or maybe a hair's width taller than me. i was one of the shortest girls he had ever dated -- he had a few previous girlfriends who were a bit taller. it made him self-concious about his height, but those gils actually thought it was cute that he was a shorty. i, myself, like his height 'cause it put us at eye level with each other.

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I'm bisexual(don't get into THAT issue) I look for a guy that is taller than me. I like the whole bigger than you protective thing. But I love small girls, little small petite females. I'm 5ft 6" so its not that hard to find either. My P.E teacher is taller than me though, and I'm in love with her. I just exclude her generally when talking baout my type, she just doesn't fit in with my type ata ll, but I digress...
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it also depends on how much of that sort of "human animal" philosophy you buy into. In other words, how much does our genetic programming, and our simple primal instinct factor into our choice of a mate? There are those who would argue that height in a male "signify" fertility and the strength to provide both support (ie. food, shelter) and protection to a female and her young. And that because nature tends to allow only the strongest and the fittest to survive, females will tend to choose only the taller, stronger, fitter, more fertile mates.

However, in today's world, it's arguable how much that should actually have an effect. But I don't know, it would be possible that unconsiously some of that primative nature might actually affect some.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
It think it's also the case that men are (generally) taller than women. So most pairings will be for a taller male and shorter female without either thinking about it. Then it becomes the accepted social "norm".

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being 4'11, i'd kinda really like someone taller than me, hehe. I like taller guys. I like being small, it's more comfy for me...if i was taller, i wouldn't want someone shorter than me....i dunno why.

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a 5'7" girl in Honolulu a.k.a Short Land...it's a little on the harder side to find a guy taller than me. My most current ex-bf was only an inch taller than me. But most guys I meet seem to be intimidated (or dislike) a taller significant other. I don't seem to have a big problem with it. As long as you like the person right? I actually think that a taller girl and shorter guy can be cute sometimes!

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory, I like taller boys. If I ever imagine a dream boy/girl relationship, we're walking down the street arm in arm, and he's at least 3 inches taller than me.

However, in practise, a lot of the people I've fallen in love/lust with are the same size as me or a couple of inches smaller. I'm 16 and 5'9", so there are still a lot of boys shorter than me, and sometimes I find them attractive. Like most things relating to physical attraction, a good personality overrides any physical 'flaws'.

I'd agree with Bobolink on how it has become normal (in western culture at least, I'm sure there are some groups across the world where it's the other way round) for men to be taller than women. And once something is accepted as the norm, it's quite hard to break it, which is why there are often raised eyebrows at a couple with a taller female than male.

[This message has been edited by BJadeT (edited 12-11-2001).]

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since I am only 5'1 I would like someone taller than me. Also everyone in my school is taller than me. All my friends I know are taller than me. My boyfriend is way taller than me, hes 6". The only reason I like a tall boyfriend is because Im a shorty. I have dating guys my height before, but taller guys seem better for me. I could careless what size my friends are.

My best friend and I are the same size! At least we can see eye to eye on things....okay I admit that was kinda corny, but hey Im allowed to be this early in the morning!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!
Yes I FINALLY got a BLOG!! Come lOOk..

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
short stuff
Activist
Member # 3415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for short stuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so... the tall guys and the short girls... well i must say that i have it that way all the time. i am 5'0. maybe 5'2-5'3 with my boots, so every guy i hve dated has been taller then me. but personaly, i don't think it really matters. but that's just me. but as for me, it really bothers me when i' walking around with people way taller then me. (no matter the gender) i always feel insecure.... ohh well... well, that's my 2 cents. hehe. take care y'all

------------------
(heart) always, sarah boo

*Memories are the best souvenirs.*

*I thought I loved him, but he had to break my heart for me to know what true love really is.*

Posts: 90 | From: seattle, washington, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 10 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny - I live in Malaysia (which I like to call Land of The Shorties - mean, I know), so I'm almost always out with guys shorter than me. It doesn't help if I date older guys because I find that I mysteriously grow as tall, if not taller, than them in a few months.

When I go visit friends and family in Australia though, it's a totally different situation - I have to stand on my tippy tippy tippy toes to be able to kiss a guy.

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer guys who are taller than I. It just seems more comfortable that way. It's not that I actually care what people thin, but if I did, I would still like guys who are taller than me. Just like age. I prefer guys who are my age or older. It just feel different.

Oh, and surferChicka- your signature. peace, love, and sexwax- haha! funny story- my dad used to surf, so he gave my sister's boyfriend this little can of surfing wax. it had sexwax on it, so when my sister's boyfriend's dad found it in his room, he had a little explaining to do!

------------------
"Never take back your emotions. It's what you were feeling at that moment." -Leelee Sobieski

greenjay blog

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm 17 and 5'10'' , and i love my height, but i am noticing that there are a large number of guys who are shorter than me.
i had a 'thing' with a 22 year old for a while, and he was quite a bit shorter than me. well - i think quite a bit. my best friend [who thought we were perfect for each other] is sure he wasn't much shorter than me, but i absolutely could not get past the fact, and in the end i think it meant i wasn't physically attracted to him - that relationship didn't get far!
i think that in general men like women who are smaller than them cuz it makes them feel powerful and bigger in a world where women are often outshining them and becoming their equals ... and similarly, women like a man who is larger than them, the protection aspect as someone else said. i'm generalising, i know, but ya have to, really.
when discussing this with a friend we also agreed that, if you're a girl and not particularly slim, even if you're happie with your size/looks etc, going out with a guy smaller than you might not feel right. i wouldn't feel right.

- pandora

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 16 and 5'4, and I like girls that are shorter or the same height as me. Of course, there are exceptions, as I also like to be "mothered" by a woman sometimes. Generally though, 5'2 - 5'3 is my fav.

As for guys, I like them to be at least as tall as me. It's not any psychological thing, it's just the fact that it's really uncomfortable to dance with someone shorter then you (In my experience).

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
new2thegame
Neophyte
Member # 6211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for new2thegame     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't mean to generalise... i meant all the people that I asked...

I'm 5"6, and my girlfriend is 5"2, though, and it kinda got me thinking about it...

Personally, i don't think that guys like shorter women because it makes them feel powerful. I know I don't, anyway. I like short women because they're so darn cute! (IMO) Not that taller women aren't... it's all a matter of perspective... like if I was 6"2, i'd like girls who were 5"8... just coz they're cute for some reason... maybe i'm weird... (no, i'm DEFINITLEY weird! lol)

thanks for your thoughts, though.

Posts: 5 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by glitter695:
Well since I am only 5'1 I would like someone taller than me.

Yay! Shorties unite! I'm 5'1 as well. I have only liked guys that were shorter than me once or twice, but then I've always been the shortest of most kids I know. I prefer guys that are not much taller than me. Actually, the average height of guys that I liked last year was 5'6. I like guys a little on the short side! On the whole, though, it doesn't matter whether a guy is 5'2 or 6'2; if I like them, I like them.

------------------
"You're scary sometimes! Brilliant, but scary!"
-Ron to Hermione, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Do not question the Mistress of Legend!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should make a shortys club!!!

You know I just thought of something. I think that girls like taller guys because it makes her feel more safer. I dont know, something that just popped into my head.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!
Yes I FINALLY got a BLOG!! Come lOOk..

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is true that the man is usually taller than the woman, in my opinion. But if you really look closely, there are some couples where the guy is taller (except in some relationships a girl may be taller than another girl). I like boys who are taller than me, just because, like glitter said, it gives the feeling of safety.

But, like the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks." A 5'4" girl may like guys who are taller than her, while a 6'1" girl may also like guys who are taller than her. Depends.

------------------
"Never take back your emotions. It's what you were feeling at that moment." -Leelee Sobieski

greenjay blog

Don't Mess With Texas

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danny
Neophyte
Member # 6214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im 5'11 and i like gurlz who are shorter because (like glitter695 said) i like to make them feel safe. i would not like to date someone taller than me because it would make me feel inferior in some sort of ways, even though i have not had a problem finding someone shorter than me, infact i like really short gurlz maybe about 5'3. another reason i like short gurlz is because i like to protect them from other guys but if she was tall she would be taller than other guys wich means that they would not mess with her (i dont want them to mess with her) but this would make me feel like she could take care of her self and that she really didnt need me to feel safe. (sorry my this is so long)

------------------
"The secret of life is......That there is no secret of life"

[This message has been edited by Danny (edited 01-09-2002).]

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im about 5"11', and i've never kissed a guy who was taller than me, let alone dated one, lol. my guy now is about 5"6' or so. i've always liked short guys, but i think part of it has to do with the fact that i've been this tall since about 5th grade, so when i was deciding what was attractive all they guys my age were still shorter than i am. or maybe i just like playing with gender rolls, i also tend to pay for dinner.
'rin

------------------
<a href="http://www.inhabitcorners.blogspot.com">who is rin</a>

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoohBear84
Activist
Member # 6516

Icon 7 posted      Profile for PoohBear84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SHORT PEOPLE RULE!!! And of course-- i'm short too!!! 5'1" baby. Me personally, i like my guys/girls to be taller then me, becuase i relish in the fact that i'm "short and cute" it's my aura, my personality, it makes me who i am.

My favorite quote is:

Be yourself, becuase then no one can ever tell you that you are doing it wrong.

so if you are tall, if you are short, if you don't care, just be yourself, date who you want.

Posts: 91 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.