Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Dry Eyelids.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dry Eyelids.....
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have really, really dry eyelids, this has never happened to me before. I have been using the same eye shadow for awhile now. I have been (every once and awhile) putting Vaseline on my eyes, but after I take it off and put more of my eye shadow on it they still get dried out. Should I try a different eye shadow? I might be allergic to it, but I have been using it for a long time. The kind I have is Cover Girl, Pink Chiffon. I like it a lot, but it really ugly when my eyes get all dry, and I don't know what else to do about it.

Has this happened to you? What did you do? Is there something else that I can use on my eyes?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nix on the vaseline. i have dry eyelids too, and my dermatologist told me that oil-containing/creamy eye products (cream shadow, for example) are actually more irritating. so i would guess that the vaseline is doing more harm than good. if i were you i would try some cortisone cream and take a few days off from eye products, and see if that helps.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Em here: nix the eye products for a while.

I'd be careful though with using cortisone cream unless it's been prescribed by a doc.

My dermatologist is a firm believer that cortisone products shouldn't be used in the face at all. The usual problem with cortisone is that -while it makes rashes and all "dissapear" very quickly, it masks real problems (by "turning off" your skins way of reacting, correct me, If I am wrong, Gummy) and it happens easily that your problem returns once you don't use the cortisone product anymore. In the face, wher eone quite understandably wants to get rid of problems quickly, you soon end up in a vicious circle of cortisone use, when you could have had gotten to the root of the problem if you'd been patient at the start.
Trust me, I've been there, as I have a skin disorder in my face due to products that I can't handle and stress.

If I were you, glitter, I'd just skip ALL eye products (all creams, all mascara, all remover, everything), at tops, I'd maybe use some camoimille compresses on my eyes, to see whether that helped at all. If the problem continues, I'd head to a dermatologist. Sounds an awful lot like an allergy.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 10-30-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alaska's got the right idea with the cortisone. when your skin gets irritated, it releases steroids (specifically glucocorticoids) into the surrounding area. this causes inflammation. when you add hydrocortisone, or cortisone creams, they override the corticoids your body is cranking out, which is how the inflammation is stopped.

these cortisone creams are harsh. putting them on your eyelids can cause them to leak into your eyes and that's not a very pleasant thing.

in the meantime, stop using makeup. give your eyelids time to recover (a week or two at least!!!). then maybe search for a better product, and test it on your cheek before putting it somewhere super-delicate like your eyelids. and always remember that it's important to throw away your eye makeup after 6 months. and definitely do NOT share makeup with other people! mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow especially can harbor bacteria that you definitely don't want in your eyes.

back in high school, during a school play, one cast member shared her mascara with a few other cast members. all those ppl wound up with impetigo around their eyes. not a good thing to have!

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for clearing that up further, gummy. so useful to have you around, my dear!
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all. Yes I showed my mom what you guys wrote and when she reads Emsily0 post to try cortisone cream, she told me that isnt good, and that it thins out your skin! I never knew that! She said when we go to the doctor we will ask what is going on and stuff.

I really dont like it. I'm so used to wearing makeup. The only time that I dont is around my parents or my boyfriend and his parents.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
<3 love forever!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi glitter,

trust me, you get used to not wearing make-up. Last year (I think? when was it? I can't even remember!), I developed a nasty, itchy rash in my face, from around my mouth all the way up the side of my nose. It really sucked, quite honestly.

My dermatologist diagnosed me (it's nothing fancy, a common ting called "perioral dermatitis") and bluntlyd told me to simply get rid of ALL products that I use.

All creams, cleansers, make-up. All.

Me, who was rarely without some sort of make-up ever since I was twelve! So I did that. My best friend was a very happy gal afterwards, as she got lots of stuff from my bathroom cabinet.
I only did so gruntling, started cleaning my face with a super-mild prescribed cleanser, and used some medicated cream....and it got better. And well, I noticed: living without make up saves time! It saves worry! And I swear, no one noticed it, really.
Sure, I missed the fun factor a bit, but it was worth living completely without make up for a while.

These days, I have slowly started introducing selected products again, and handle all well, but have significantly toned the entire make-up thing down, and I swear, life is better for me this way. My skin just doesn't like certain things, and far better than flaky red skin around my mouth (because I wanted some coverage) is healthy, maybe not so perfect, but make-up free skin.

So no matter whether the colour of that eyeshadow is good, or whether you enjoy it: honey, no make-up is worth stressing your skin (which you'll need another 65 years or so)!

You can do it, glitter! go the make-up free route!

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 10-31-2001).]

emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eek! i know cortisone thims out your skin, etc. it's just what my derm told me to use.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

One of the worst things about this, is that if I rub my eye harder than usual then it hurts really bad.

I never had this happen to me before.

I think I can do it. I just feel naked without it, but hey being naked is good! HEHE

Thank you everyone for your advice and help, I appreciate it LOTS!!

I will keep you updated and tell you if my eyes are getting any betters or not!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
<3 love forever!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.