Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Vaginal Itching...help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaginal Itching...help!
Paige2K1
Neophyte
Member # 5533

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Paige2K1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I have a problem and it bothers me recently. You see, I have vaginal itching. This occurred to me years ago but it only got me concerned when I started to hear all these diseases like candidiasis, etc..I'm afraid to go to a gynecologist and have him check my insides and all, u know? Oh and hey, I don't experience pain while urinating. But what really causes vaginal itching? I have good hygiene and all butoh, man! Does this lead to cancer? I hope not! Will u recommend anything (aside from consulting a doctor)? Like, will I start to use a vaginal wash instead of only soap and water? I'm 17 and I'm so, so, so afraid I may start to have cancer! Oh, please, please help me!
Posts: 7 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honeybunch,

first of all, chill.

And yes, I will tell you to see a gyno, simply because (s)he is the only person who can tell you whether everything is in order and if not, help you to get rid of it. Vaginal Itching sure is a sign that you should have yourself checked out.
It's no big deal either, promise! Check out our article on your first gyno visit: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/gyne.html

For all on Yeast Infections, check out http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/fbi_yeast.html And nope: candida infections do not cause cancer. However, when left untreated, they can become chronic. In addition, do NOT use soaps or deodorant "specifically forumated" for the genitals - they are unnecessary and can make things worse. Water and mild soap are more than enough.

So read those articles, and jump over your shadow and give your local sex health clinic a call and get yourself and appointment.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paige2K1
Neophyte
Member # 5533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paige2K1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Alaska thanks for the help..but another one, does masturbation causes this? I only tried it once or twice, and with clean hands of course...but i don't know...oh and I'm still a virgin.
Posts: 7 | From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, gal, pleasure to help. As to what causes Yeast Infections:

quote:
Known Accomplices
Douching, pantyhose and synthetic or wet undergarments without breathability, diets heavy in sugar or yeast, allergic reactions, other infections or sexually transmitted diseases.

From http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/fbi_yeast.html

So nope, masturbation itself can not cause or spark a vaginal infection, unless you use unclean tools or lotions that could irritate you. Whether someone has had intercourse or any other kind of sex before has little to do with yeast infections, too. They simply start when your normal balance of good bacteria gets out of sync. And that can be anything, really. - Even babies can get candida infections in the form of nappy rash.

------------------
Caro

Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 10-13-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If things start to get nasty down below, my roommate applies some plain, live culture yogourt topically, and then seeks medical help. The bacteria in the yogourt is good for keeping your usual bacteria at healthy levels, and helps makes things a bit more comfortable until she can get the problem properly dealt with. And please, do see a gynecologist or doctor, it's really not that bad, and it's definitely worth it to be healthy!
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Oh, yes, great that you mention that, Milke.

For easier application, you can also freeze some plain, live yoghurt in cardboard tampn applicators, once they are frozen, you just rip off the cardboard and insert the yoghurt.

While this does offer some temporary relief, it does not substitute a visit to the doc.

------------------
Caro

Alchemical Precept

Paige2K1
Neophyte
Member # 5533

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Paige2K1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Milke. Thanks, Alaska..well, whatever you guys suggest, bottom line is, YOU REALLY WANT ME TO GO TO A DOCTOR!

Hey, I didn't mean to yell at you'..it's just that I feel nervous and scared. By the way, about that yogurt..live? You mean, there are other yogurts aside from those in the market? Sorry but i'm kinda confused.
Anyway, thanks again!

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi Paige, yup, we want to get you to the doctor, indeed. - That is the only way to get rid of whatever might be behind your symptoms. Have you checked out the article on the first gyno visit yet? It really is no biggie at all - far less scary than a visit to the dentist, me reckons.

What exactly worries you about going to a gyno? Maybe if you try to put down what exactly troubles you, you can face your worry a bit better. Is it the chair? The fact someone will touch your genitals or simply because you've never been to one and because it's new?

In regards to the yoghurt: Milke and I meant plain (i.e. without fruits) organic (because that's simply better) yoghurt that still has some living cultures in it. You can get it either at a health food store or at your local super market, just read the label.

Paige2K1
Neophyte
Member # 5533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paige2K1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah, that's one reason..i havent been to a gyne. Yes i've read your article and whenever i imagine everything, it just scares me..what if the doctor says that the reason i have vaginal itching is because it got dirty inside? What if (s)he suspects anything that I, uh, masturbate? That would so freak my mom out! Ok, maybe I'm just being paranoid..but u cant blame me, i'm new with these things.

As for the yogurt, ok I'll find one. So i'll just apply it in my vagina and that's it? Ok, i'll try what you've said bfore...but, i only use pads not tampons. Should i buy tampons as well?

Ok, I guess those are the reasons why I'm afraid to go to a gyne. But if that will really make everything worth it..then i have no choice. By the way, i still haven't talked with my mom about this.

[This message has been edited by Paige2K1 (edited 10-14-2001).]

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi Paige,

being a bit worried about something new is perfectly ok, but it's really important to take a look at the worries we have about something new and to see whether they are well founded.

First of all: gynecologists of both genders are humans, and most try to make someone who's there for the first time comfortable. You've had a look at the possible reasons for a vaginal infection, have you? "Being dirty" is definitely not one, gal, and sweetie, your genitals are fine the way they are, and not dirty or icky or whatever else by default, just because they are genitals.

Also, your gyno will not worry about you masturbating or ask you about it or tell your parents. - And you know why? Because masturbating is normal, because tons of people do it and because it really has nothing to you with your (possible) infection. Gynos are not members of the moral & sex police, they are doctors, and they will only ask you about things that they need to know in order to help you to be healthy. - And they won't tell anyone else.

In regards to the yoghurt: it really is only a temporary relief method, not a cure. I really recommend that you head to the doc, sweetie. If you want to use some just to make things easier until you can get an appointment, just apply a bit on your vaginal area. Beware: it's a bit messy. Best to use some at night and bed yourself on a towel.

Hon, just tell your mom, I bet she'll help you in finding a doc and making an appointment.

Take care.

------------------
Caro

Alchemical Precept

Paige2K1
Neophyte
Member # 5533

Okay, thanks again, Alaska. You're the best! I'll update you about everything, okay?

Take care!

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

No worries, tis a pleasure to help, and we've all been there (before the first gyno visit, that is), gal!

You can do it!

So keep us updated, ok?

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just wanted to throw in a half cent...

Doctors are supposed to be compassionate, nonjudgemental people. It's part of their ethic to do no harm and help whenever possible. So don't worry what your doctor thinks 'cause chances are, he or she isn't thinking anything at all (except for how to diagnose and treat your illness). Besides, even if your doctor were catty enough to be judgemental, I'm sure your situation wouldn't draw that sort of attention.

Vaginal itching and infections happen to a lot of people for a lot of reasons, including ones that aren't societal taboos. (and imho, as far as societal taboos go, masturbation should not be on the list -- there are better things we can shun, like blatant stupidity)

------------------
Living proof that it's hip to be square .

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paige2K1
Neophyte
Member # 5533

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Paige2K1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Gumdrop. I really appreciate it.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.