Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » pierced with a gun (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: pierced with a gun
love4eva
Neophyte
Member # 19696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for love4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the normal gauge for the ear lobes and what is the normal gauge for cartalage?? can someone please respond to me

Posts: 18 | From: Nazareth, PA, United States | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
assuming you're talking needle, 14 or 16 gauge (on both).

more commonly 14g in the US, 16g in Europe... but, of course, it varies.

your particular ears also make a difference which is used.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had four piercings done at Claire's, but not specifically with a gun. They are now using disposable plastic cartridges in which the earrings are completely contained. The earrings used were made completely from surgical steel, and were sharp enough to make a small cut in the skin behind my ears when I slept on them.

The only problem I had was with the most recent piercings -- my ears were pierced with the wrong gauge, making the holes too small to accommodate standard size earrings. Also, my hair kept getting pulled through the holes with the earrings, and had a tendency to cut my ears a little. That was my own clumsy fault,though. I also chose to remove the earrings a little too early, causing some scar tissue on the back of my left ear; the holes are still there, but I don't really like wearing earrings in them.

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BZZT! The issue goes beyone the sterile plastic cartidges and the earrings. the GUNS themselves cannot be sterilized.

What can this mean? This can mean a little bit of blood from the piercing can get onto the gun and contaminate it. From there, bloodborne illnesses like hepatitis B&C can be passed from person to person.

Most people have no grasp of what Hep B&C are. We do have an article on Hepatitis B and I encourage you to read it. Hep B is 100 times more infectious than HIV, and it can last on dry surfaces for more than a week! Hep C is also scary because more than 80% of people who get it will have chronic infection, and half of those will get cirrhosis (liver scarring) or liver cancer. Pamela Anderson announced she was chronically infected with Hep C (probably from a bad tattoo) just last year. Hep C can also survive for a while out in the open.

This means piercing guns are PERFECT vehicles for carrying and transmiting Hep B&C from person to person, which makes me wonder why Claire's would allow their chain to continue piercing when it is such a HUGE liability.

Moral of the story? If you haven't gotten pierced by a gun, don't start now. If you have, you shouldn't continue. And if possible, ask your doctor about Hep testing.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information for Los Angeles County residents.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was no gun used at all. The plastic cartridge was the whole piercing contraption, and it was disposed of in a marked container after it was used.

There was no piercing gun in the entire store. There are single-use piercing boxes, in carefully labeled packaging. That's it. I was very careful to investigate this before I had anything done.

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop talked about the guns that are used, but more specific in your case (and anyone else that runs into this in the future) is that the piercing studs *themselves* even without the additional risk of the gun are not wise to have used.

while sharp, the essentially tear a hole through the body displacing tissue. when done with a piercing needle, a small hollow tube of flesh is created the right size for the jewelry.

instead of poking through the skin & then forcing metal into the body by shoving (and tearing) flesh out of the way, a tiny cleanly cut tunnel is created for the jewelry.

much less difficult on the site, better healing, etc.

good to know for the future!

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

I was merely trying to make the point that at least the guns are being phased out for sanitation reasons -- well, at least in my state.

The next problem they need to address is proper labeling of the gauges on earrings sold. Several local establishments are known to pierce too small without a warning, causing unnecessary aggravation when buying new body jewelry.

love4eva
Neophyte
Member # 19696

Icon 5 posted      Profile for love4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the gauge size when your ears are pierced by a gun and what is the normal gauge size when you are pierced by a needle
Posts: 18 | From: Nazareth, PA, United States | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
love4eva
Neophyte
Member # 19696

Icon 5 posted      Profile for love4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the gauge size when your ears are pierced by a gun and what is the normal gauge size when you are pierced by a needle
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A semi-related problem on an old thread: I got my lobes done yesterday in 14g. I asked the piercing guy whether that was standard gauge, and would I be able to wear regular earrings afterwards? And he said yesyesyes, but now I'm staring at them in the mirror and they look awfully big. I don't know anyone else who's gotten their lobes actually pierced (with a needle and not a gun), so I can't ask them. Will the 14g be all right, or should I take them out and stick 16g rings in there or something?
Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lithiumbarbiedoll
Neophyte
Member # 9186

Icon 2 posted      Profile for lithiumbarbiedoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow...i love needle piercings....i have both my lobes pierced twice, both done with guns and in all honesty i dont remember them getting infected badly - i had taken them out after they healed (i got bored with them) and they never grew back in, lucky for me i didnt have to get them re-pierced when i wanted to wear earings again. When i turned 16 i got an industrial, shortly after my belly-button pierced and then after they had both healed i got my conch pierced (its kinda the middle of your ear - i love it but it goes through one huge chunk of cartilege) all those were done with needles and i must admit i was very pleased. all of my piercings got infected however a week or two after i had gotten them (which i think is indeed my fault, coz my hair gets wrapped around the jewlery in my ears and i played with them alot)however they have all healed and nolonger cause me greif. I stretched the piercings in my lobes up to a 4gague but took them out and let them shink back a bit - currently they all hold 14gague jewlery (although my bottom lobes are still stretched out of shape) however i dont think that i could put standard studs in any of my piercings, i have a feeling they would fall through being maybe 16 or 18 gague....thats just my guess anyways...
-LBD

------------------
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap."
-Cynthia Heimel

Posts: 34 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MarvellousPurple:
A semi-related problem on an old thread: I got my lobes done yesterday in 14g. I asked the piercing guy whether that was standard gauge, and would I be able to wear regular earrings afterwards? And he said yesyesyes, but now I'm staring at them in the mirror and they look awfully big. I don't know anyone else who's gotten their lobes actually pierced (with a needle and not a gun), so I can't ask them. Will the 14g be all right, or should I take them out and stick 16g rings in there or something?

14 guage is the size jewelry you normally see for body piercings. It's the standard for belly buttons, tongues, etc. You can always wear body jewelry in your ear (it's usually made of good metal whereas cheap earrings can be iffy), but if you want to wear regular size earrings, you'll have to shrink your holes a bit.

I wouldn't take them out now while you're healing, but after it's healed put in a 16 guage and let it close up a little, then put in an 18 guage and let it close up a little more and you're good to go.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ephemere
Neophyte
Member # 21366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ephemere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been pierced with both guns and needles, and I find that those pierced with a needle heal much quicker using the same healing process. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure a possibilty could be the fact that piercing guns cannot be adequately sterilized. That was a risk I chose to take, but after this past experience with my ear piercings, I won't have it done by a gun again. Live and learn.
Posts: 8 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just some food for thought to the folks who are thinking about guns versus needles...

Who would you rather have as your piercer?

1. The older guy at the piercing parlor who can show you his certificate verifying that he's passed a class on bloodborne disease safety and also show you the records from his parlor's last health inspection

2. The teenaged girl at the mall whose training in piercing consisted of the store manager showing her how to hold the gun and pull a trigger.

Did you pick 1 when you read that? Good. Did you actually choose 2 to get your piercing? That's too bad.

Did you know that the health department inspects piercing and tattoo parlors? Specially trained inspectors visit the parlors at random, twice a year and check the equipment for sanitation and sterility. They look for autoclaves and make sure they work. They check to make sure the facility is clean, with enough sinks and benches to do good work. Even the "sketchy" places at the swapmeet get inspected.

The health inspectors never inspect the mall stores. There are too many stores and not enough inspectors so they just excluded places like Claire's from the laws that regulate body mod safety. The folks who work at those stores may pierce a lot of ears, but none of them have been trained in sanitation and safety. Heck, have you ever seen these people wash their hands before they get the gun? No, they don't. They don't wear gloves either. That's an easy way to pass infections around. Totally bad stuff!

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megs1216
Neophyte
Member # 26605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megs1216     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my cartilage pierced about two days ago at a Claire's. I didn't know it was such a big deal to get it pierced and didn't know I needed to do anymore research on piericing cartilage so I just went and had it done. I did know that there were risks of your ear collapsing, nerve damage, etc. but I didn't know anything about not piering with a gun. I, of course got it done with a gun, but the lady who did it was the manager and said she had been doing piericings for years, and also had several piercings of her own. She said that all the piercings she had done she had never had any problems with afterward and that there should be no problem. So far it's been ok, but the only thing I've noticed is that I can see a few veins leading up to the piercing that I never noticed before. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? My ear itself really isn't very sore, except when I touch the back of the earring and it's not red or swollen or anything...I'm thinking about just going to a tattoo parlor and asking them what they think. Any good expriences with guns or helps would be great! Thanks so much!!
Posts: 1 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetsEscape
Neophyte
Member # 26672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LetsEscape     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a rather informative site on why not to be pierced with a gun, or any gun-hybrid-creation, or infact anything other than a needle in a proper piercing parlour that fully sterilizes equipment, never re-uses needles,etc. and has well-trained piercers to do the job: http://www.namaii.com/suck/

I think, almost more than anything else, what scares me about mall-piercers is that they barely have a clue what they are doing. This is technically a surgical procedure we're talking about here, I would never think of putting my body, my health in the hands of somebody who has only practisted before on bleedin' sponges before my flesh.

Did everyone's piercers check for veins in the cartilage before they used a gun to pierce them? That one wasn't a continuation of the rant, I am just curious.

Posts: 2 | From: Scotland | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allaric131
Neophyte
Member # 26345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allaric131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had peircing in my ears like 11..ang three and all of them are done with gun..
Posts: 13 | From: philippines | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stripe1989
Neophyte
Member # 26837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stripe1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had my earlobes pierced at a mall claires 3 weeks ago and it was with a gun and they have NEVER hurt.....yet lol
the piercing lady put on gloves and sanitized everything, and i mean everything and took a disposable gun (yes, a gun) and just did it. they look great and STILL dont hurt at all, they never did. one question though, the holes seem very tiny. Why is that? so far i can only fit posts in. i cant get hoops or anything like that.

------------------
Stripe

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Piercings of any sort usually have a guage- which is basically a number explaining the size of the piercing. You may have noticed this on jewelry before - the larger the guage number, the smaller the piercing (I think typical earrings are in the mid-high teens).

A piercing by a gun is usually for a small guage, for small posts and the like, this is because guns work by piercing an earring straight into your ear (rather than using a needle), so your piercing will therefore be, by default, whatever size the earring is that was stuck into it.

Professional piercing parlors use needles, not only because they can be sterilized better than even the disposable guns can, but because most of their clients will be looking at having a different range of piercing sizes. (A nasal piercing, for example, is usually a different guage than a tongue or lip piercing, and some ear piercings are much bigger than any of those)

You have a couple options: you can let the piercing heal properly, and from there go to a professional shop to have the piercing enlarged slighlty, or you'll need to look for jewelry that is the same size as your own piercing (though sometimes piercings can accomodate slighlty larger piercing sizes, you just need to watch out that you don't use too big of a piercing and cause irriation in stretching the hole which can lead to an infection)

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.