Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Stretchmark.com

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stretchmark.com
paradigmodel
Neophyte
Member # 5362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradigmodel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are bunches of threads on stretch marks, but I have a specific question. Has anyone been to the website http://www.stretchmark.com and looked at the product advertised there? Its supposed to be some "revolutionary" cream for treating stretch marks, with extensive test-studies already done, and showing good results. They have an open discussion forum on the site, and the majority of people there say it works real well for almost entirely getting rid of stretch marks. There are maybe two or three people there, though, who said the cream made the makrs *worse*. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything, good or bad, about the product, preferably from a source not in any way related with the company. An objective source is what I'm looking for. I know that its a good idea to just accept your body and all that, but I've been accepting my stretch marks for awhile now, and if there's a possibility to get rid of them, I'd be all for it.

I was thinking of ordering a tube and testing it on a small area on my hip for 3 or 4 weeks to see what happens.

------------------
[chickens are the only animal we eat before they're born and after they're dead.]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's no cure for stretch marks. why bother anyway? everybody has them. if you don't, you've probably not grown since the day you were born. stretchmarks are harmless. models have them. bodybuilders have them. you just don't get to see them because of the magical airbrush tool in Photoshop. don't waste your $$$ on a bunk product. buy yourself some books instead.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lgray
Activist
Member # 2930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lgray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was REALLY a cure for stretch marks, it would cost more than you could afford anyways.
Posts: 62 | From: Raleigh, NC, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paradigmodel
Neophyte
Member # 5362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paradigmodel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know guys. You may be skeptical because nothing's worked in the past, I have my doubts too. But check out the open discussion forum on the site...it sounds pretty good to me.

Its supposed to work by building up the collagen (I hope thats the right technical term, heh) in areas worn thin by stretch marks. I just don't see why it's *impossible* that it could work. The cream's not that expensive...I still think it might be worth a shot.

And not everyone has stretch marks...yeah, lots of people do. I can't help it if I don't like mine. I mean, I've been accepting them like crazy for years, but when I heard about this, I couldn't help but feel a little hope. Is it so awful to not want to have stretch marks? I don't mean to sound b*tchy, I mean, I know where you all are coming from, but I just don't see whats wrong with trying to get rid of them if there's a possibility that it could work...

------------------
[chickens are the only animal we eat before they're born and after they're dead.]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 10 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate my stretchmarks! As you may know, I'm overweight, so I have them EVERYWHERE. I've lost weight, but I'm afraid even when I get to a *healthier* body size, I won't be able to wear the cute clothes I've always dreamed of wearing, simply b/c of stretchmarks. They're all over my arms, my breasts, my stomach, my legs, ect. They're so noticeable... I hate em!

------------------
I believed in nothing,
but you believe in me,
I thought that life was worthless,
but you told me I'm a star...

Angel-Stabbing Westward

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
collagen is a protein that is found naturally in your skin. elastin and collagen together give your skin flexible texture -- elastin makes it stretchy, collagen stiffens it so it doesn't stretch like bread dough.

now if oyu want to deliver elastin and collagen to your skin effectively, you can either extract the proteins from the food you eat, or you can go get collagen injections. personally, i would rather endorse the former method (go eat some tofu!).

skin creams make a lot of promises they can't deliver, which is why I say it's better not to waste your money. if you opt to do something like inject collagen, then you'll only get a really firm patch of skin -- the stretch marks will still be there.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashleigh W
Activist
Member # 1352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashleigh W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive got ehm...stretchmarks..mine are really light now though, because i went to my dermatologist and got some cream stuff to use every other night and it WORKED! not overnight...like maybe 3-4 months and they were really light colored, you can barely tell now...not tryin to give you false hopes, just telling you it worked for me! go to the derm...maybe the can give you something!
Posts: 57 | From: USA...that's all you need to know! | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.