Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period Dehydration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period Dehydration
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend was trying to convince me that menstrual cramps are caused by dehydration, a fact that his sports trainer told him. This seems to make sense, since you do lose a considerable amount of water during your period, but I thought hormones had something to do with it. Can anybody verify this information?

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
water is good for you. drink more of it.

anyway, cramps are caused by prostaglandins. they are secreted heavily but the uterine lining during menstruation. prostaglandins cause smooth muscle to contract. when applied to the uterus, the muscle wall of the uterus contract, thus expelling the lining.

for people who get cramps, this is due to excess prostaglandin secretion. too much prostaglandin, too much muscle contraction.

but guess what! aspirin blocks prostaglandin action! take a normal dose of those for some relief.

also, when you go on the Pill, your uterus doesn't produce as much lining. Because there's less lining, there's less prostaglandin secretion. Thus, less cramping

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait! don't take aspirin if you are under 21 because <reads back of bottle> it can cause Reye's syndrome, which is bad news.

my doc recommends ibuprofen.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the risk of getting Reye's syndroms is mostly tied to children using aspirin to treat pain and fever during viral infections, most notably chicken pox. the risk is still low. but ibuprofen is good, as is naproxen sodium as those are both NSAID pain relievers and have similar properties to aspirin.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh i love my naproxen (anaprox) ... It's wonderful stuff. Works miracles
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mizu
Neophyte
Member # 4942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mizu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anaprox had the same effect on me as a long stare at the wall. I have dysmenhorrea, basically meaning extremely painful menstruation.

About a year ago, I increased my water intake to a minimum of 8 10 ounce glasses per day. I'm healthier and no longer have painful water retention (especially in the breasts), but it's done nothing for the cramps. I avoid refined sugar and caffiene for at least one week prior, as well.

Cramps are not caused by dehydration. As mentioned above, it is generally hormonal, but for some can even be related to conditions such as fibriods or endometriosis. For severe cramps, always see a gynecologist.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eppy
Neophyte
Member # 4254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I know menstrual cramps aren't caused by dehydration, but aren't muscle cramps related to exercise caused by dehydration? I know that an excess of.... some sort of acid... I can't remember... causes muscle cramps. Menstrual cramps are entirely different though.

Edit: Oh, I remembered! Lactic acid!... am I right?

[This message has been edited by Eppy (edited 08-04-2001).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eppy:
....but aren't muscle cramps related to exercise caused by dehydration?...

You mean dehydration caused my exercise? I can see how dehydration would make you feel kinda crummy all over, and it might make your cramps worse, but i do'nt see how they could be the direct result of it. Cramps are caused by muscle contractions in the uterus ... trying to expell all that menstrual fluid.

As for the lactic acid thing ... A little search at about.com brought me to [url=http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa053101a.htm?iam=savvy&terms=%2Blactic+%2Bacid]

"In the arena of exercise, reference to lactic acid has commonly evoked the most negative of responses. For years, lactic acid has been considered an exercise evil whose presence was believed to induce muscle soreness, fatigue, oxygen debt, and anaerobic threshold."

------------------
I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
~ Anonymous

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eppy
Neophyte
Member # 4254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrm, perhaps I should clarify. I meant cramps caused by exercise, not menstrual cramps. Those are totally different.

I was saying that the cramps you get from exercsing too hard or whatever are caused by dehydration. I wasn't talking about menstrual cramps at all.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Whoopsie daisy ... sorry for the mixup, Eppy.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.