Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » tampons....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tampons....
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel545     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i want to try to use tampons cause i really want to go swimming in my new pool! how do you know what kind to get?
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a first time tampon user, start out with the smallest (and lowest absorbency) variety that you can find, just so that you can get a hang of inserting them.

Always make sure you use the lowest absorbency for your flow. If you change the tampon after say 3 or 4 hours and it's not completely soaked (there are white bits left), you need to change to a lower absorbency. Assuring you are using the lowest absorbency and changing the tampon regularly is important to minimize your risk of toxic schock syndrome.

Whether you want to go the applicator or non applicator route depends on you, really. I prefer non applicator tampons (less waste, easier, whatnot), but you need to find out what works for you. Why not buy several smaller packs and try them out? It could also be useful to purchase a little bottle of lubricant (KY Jelly serves the purpose here quite nicely) while you are at the drugstore buying tampons so that you can put a dab on the tampon and make insertion easier.

Just make sure that you do NOT buy deodorized or perfumed tampons and ideally some that are only made from cotton, not rayon.

For some tips on how to insert tampons, check out this lovely thread:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum11/HTML/000460.html

Good luck!

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-08-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's all excellent advice.

There's also a thread on tampons/pads/other alternatives here.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 07-08-2001).]

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angel545     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what exactly is an aplicator?
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi angel,

a tampon applicator is either made of plastic or cardboard and supposed to help make tampon insertion easier.

The different kinds work in different ways, but usually, two kinds of tubes are used to push the tampon into place. An inner tube is usually pushed into an outer one and pushes the tampon where it's supposed to go.

Some women prefer applicator tampons, some prefer those without. When choosing a tampon, one should be aware though that applicators are just additional waste and that inserting tampons is just as easy without one if you learn it from the start.

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

so are you saying that it would be easier to start with one without an aplicator?
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think so, but I've always been very comfortable with my body, and that has a lot to do with it.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to get used to using tampons is to get to know your body- learning the way that your vaginal canal leans in your body. I personally think that using an applicator is a good way to get used to using tampons, although I don't like using them at all anymore for the reasons that Alaska stated.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't get how to get it in with out an applicator. maybe Alaska is right and it is easier to learn from the start.
Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Well, I personally think, just liks Milke, that using applicator less tampons from the start is just as easy as using applicator ones.

You need to learn the technique anyway, no matter what you use, so I really think it doesn't make a difference.

Beppie is right though, one good thing about applicator tampon is that you do feel the actual position of the vaginal canal better with them.

Anyway, you really need to try out what works for you. You'll need to know your anatomy for the use of all tampons anyway, so really, just try it all out.

------------------
Caro

Mahatma Gandhi

angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

i always thought you could just put it in. is there more to it than that? i dont really know that much about em. i'll ask ym older sister, but ill take any advice please
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Angel, well, it really isn't a biggie. Indeed, You just put a tampon in, and it really doesn't take too long either and is just normal.

However, when starting out it can be new and a little difficult- check out the tips in the older thread that I linked to above.

Don't worry too much about it, just try it!

angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

a couple days ago i tried the tampon that's really small and you pull it and it expands and "clicks". it was a free sample in the mail. i got it half way in fine but then it was pushing to go back to its original size. does anyone know what i am talking abut, the tampons that can fit into the palm of your hand then expand? i ended up just throwing it away and read the little paprer it came with, it was a free sample in the mail, and it said it had a plastic applicator. i never would have know it did cause i have never used a tampon before. if i got it in, i wouldnt have known to take any part of it out and throw it away. can someone try to explain what part the applicatr is. im really confused, thanks for all your help!
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi angel,

always read the little insert in the tampon box for advice on how to put it in.

In general try out a tampon on the heaviest day of your period, never when you are not menstruating.

The applicator is the plastic tube thingy on the outside of the tampon, what you see when you unwrap it. The actual tampon is inside the tube.

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Picture of an applicator tampon

Picture of an applicatorless tampon

Both pics come from Organic essentials FAQ
who interestingly enough claim

quote:
It is interesting to note that over 97% of European women prefer digital tampons, and in the United States only 3 to 4% of women use digital tampons.

(digital tampons = those without an applicator)

And I actually think that might be the case. No one here uses applicator tampons. You can only buy one brand with applicators, I think.

angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

so the plastic part does not stay inside your body? only the cotton?
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Yes. Because otherwise, the tampon (the cotton bit) wouldn't be able to absorb anything. The plastic or cardboard apllicator is only there to help with insertion.
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

now i understand! i always thought that the plastic stayed in and thats why there is a whole at the top of the plasic. thanks a lot everyone! from the looks of it it looks like ones with an applicator would be easier, but i guess ill have to try em out
Eppy
Neophyte
Member # 4254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really does depend on how comfortable you are with your own body. I have no problem getting my finger a bit messy and using a non applicator. When I try to lend friends tampons however, and they see a non applicator, they are afraid to even try, which I think is a crying shame. Girls need to feel comfortable with their own bodies! But this isn't the place for my soapbox.

I think using a non applicator is best to start with, cause it's less painful. But you have to do it when you're really flowing, cause otherwise, you're too dry, and it will hurt going in. And RELAX! I can't say that enough. You may think you're relaxed when you put it in, but you have to consciously relax the muscles down there. And also, sitting on a toilet may not be the best position for you. Try doing it after a shower the first time, and prop your leg on the side of the tub. After a shower, you're more likely to be relaxed, too.

The first time I used a tampon, I got it in, but not correctly. It takes a while. You shouldn't be able to feel it if you have it in right. I also used an applicator. I had a much easier time when I used a non applicator. (OB is my fave non app brand, Tampax my fave app brand.)

And whoever said to read the lil paper that comes with it is exactly right! It helps you get it in right, and it tells you about TSS. Make sure you read it. I used to only use tampons when I had to, and pads the rest of the time. But since being away at school, I've gone to tampons exclusively. It's so much easier, and plus, they're the only thing available in our bookstore!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angel545
Neophyte
Member # 4218

is it true that if you take a tampon out too early it can tear the inside of you?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, not that i know of. If you take it out before it's fully used (covered completely in blood), it doesn't feel too good, but I don't think it can cause any real damage. Another reason to use the lowest absorbancy you can
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Some excellent advice here from Eppy. Good onya girl!

To your question, angel: "Tearing up inside" really isn't the right word. Because that really can't happen. What can happen if you use tampons that are too high absorbency for your flow is that the tampon absorbs too much moisture from inside the vagina and that removal gets apinful and that you might give yourself *microscopic* little ulcerations. No *tearing* as in tearing your vagina apart.

So just make sure you sue the lowest absorbency possible and change every 3 to 4 hours.

------------------
Caro

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

amongthethorns
Neophyte
Member # 3173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amongthethorns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question. What brands of tampons don't contain rayon and the toxins that are harmful to your body? I found out that the one I'm using has rayons (Playtex Gentle Glide) Around here.. the only brand of tampons available are OB, Playtex, and Tampax that I know of. They dont have any of those special kinds.

------------------
"When a person doesn't express theirself, they die one piece at a time."

Posts: 21 | From: Cambria, California | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eppy
Neophyte
Member # 4254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'm a huge advocate of OB, and I think they're ok... And I know that Tampax Naturals are. They're made of 100% cotton. And they have an applicator, if you're into that.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can get organic cotton tampons, with or without applicators, from any whole foods market or other natural food store.

i like OB too, but don't use their ultra-absorbent kind. no one needs tampons that absorbent, and a similar product was the cause of the TSS scare in the 1980's. bad.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 4 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with you, Em, that one should stay away from ultra-absorbent tampons, to the best of my knowledge no current product on the US market in any way even resembles Rely, the tampon produces by Procter & Gamble (the company who today owns Tampax).

Rely's danger not only came from the ultra-absorbency, but also from the materials used in it's production that have been outlawed by the FDA for use in tampons since then.

Today's ultra-absorbend tampons (while still being dangerous enough) are all pretty tame compared to Rely, which could soak up 20 times it's weight in liquid.

------------------
Caro

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 07-13-2001).]

CalvinBall
Neophyte
Member # 4723

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CalvinBall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only used tampons a few times, but the only thing I dont understand about them is how do you know when you've used up the entire tampon. Once when I used a tampon, I left it in for about 2 hours and then started to bleed on my bathing suit. Now whenever I use them I change them too early. A little help?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi Calvin,

lots of it is try and error. You know you are using the right absorbency if you change the tampon after about 3 or 4 hours and it is fully saturated (no white bits left).

If there are still white bits left after 4 hours, you should switch to a lower absorbency, if you need to change earlier than 3 hours, switch to a higher absorbency.

Some women start to *feel* when their tampon is getting full or on the verge of spilling, but that's really something you need to try out for yourself.

cutiepie12340
Neophyte
Member # 3097

Icon 14 posted      Profile for cutiepie12340     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer tampons. The first time I tried tampons (very recently) it had an applicator. I would recommend that! Good luck, and remember to change it every 5 hours or so if you are AT a waterpark or something! =)
Posts: 31 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.