Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Not losing weight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not losing weight
SailorVenus
Neophyte
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorVenus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will probably sound pretty stupid, but I have a problem that I cannot figure out. I've been on a diet for a year, and up to now I've lost a lot of weight. However, this past month I haven't lost anything at all. I don't understand why because I've increased my exercise routine to two hours a day, and I've completely cut junk food out of my diet, but I'm still not losing weight. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice because I really want to be thin before school starts. Thanks.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutie
Neophyte
Member # 4245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when you loose weight, theres levels and in between them, your body has to stabilize itself. you probably noticed, during that year that sometimes you werent losing weight as fast or as much as other times. so its probably just your body that needs a little break to adapt..
thats what i think anyways

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cutie's theory could be a possibility, but it could also be your body's way of saying "okay, I've lost enough weight, it's time to stop." There's a difference between losing weight to look good and losing weight to be healthy. If you were a little overweight when you started your diet and exercise routine, and you've lost your excess fat, then you're probably in the "healthy' target area now. Sometimes when your body has lost enough weight already, it gets harder and harder to lose any more because you don't need to. Everybody's bodies have different health levels and needs, and it usually has a body fat "comfort level" that it is healthy and comfortable to stay at.

Other than that, I'd say that Cutie had a good theory. your body might just be taking a break to get used to the weight loss and stabilize itself. Really though, unless you're weight is unhealthy for your body shape, height, and age (if it it does, or possibly could, affect your health) then there isn't really a need to lose any more weight. It could be dangerous to lose an extreme amount of weight, especially in your teen years when you body may still be growing. I'd see a doctor if you're worried about it being unhealthy or not, and he can suggest an exercise and diet routine that's right for you.

If you aren't at an unhealthy weight level and losing more weight is unnnecessary or even unhealthy, there are many exercises out there that help to tone and shape various parts of your body. That way you can possibly get the shape you want while staying at a weight level that's right for your body.

If any of that is incorrect, feel free to fix my error. I know I read that somewhere, but I'm trying to recall the entire information from the depths of my mind. Plus, I've also noticed that no matter how much I exercise or eat healthy, I always stay at the same weight, too.

------------------
*^Lucky^*

"I could rip your eyelid off..."

"No, Don't do it! I need it to seal my plan.."

"Why?"

"Because it's so devious I need to wink."

[This message has been edited by Lucky1402 (edited 07-08-2001).]

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darkweaver
Neophyte
Member # 1957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darkweaver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remeber that when you first change your eating patterns, aswell as daily excercising, you're asking your body to go beyond what it's use to. For someone who isn't use to working out, and starts working out, they'll notice great results, weightloss or muscle gain, depending on what you're doing, and possibly both!
Even though you've increased your excerice levels lately, you'll become more healthy, but you may not notice as many results as fast because your body is striving less to meet you new goals.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this was an exam question on my biochem final.

how are you dieting? did you change your eating habits? did you start exercising regularly?

answer those, and i'll give you my exam answer (which i got right, thank you very much)

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorVenus
Neophyte
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorVenus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, thanks for all the advice.

Gumdrop Girl: I've been exercising regularly since last June. As for changing my eating habits, I normally eat just the recommended serving sizes for meals (in the past I didn't pay attention to it). For snacks, I eat fruits or yogurt, and I don't eat fast food anymore. I hope I got the right answer.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, as far as my biochemistry class is concerned, your body is finally adjusted to its new level of activity and caloric intake. you basal metabolism has shifted upward, meaning it's processing things more efficiently, on more activity and less fuel. you body is happy here.

theoretically, if you wanted to kick it up one more notch, you'd have to exercise more than that and restrict your diet. BUT DO NOT DO THIS! It's just not healthy. According to what you've said, you're doing everything right. And your body's giving oyu all the signals that everything is A-OK and you're healthy. Don't jeopardize that by getting greedy for a smaller jeans size.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.