Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » TERRIBLE, horrible back pain!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TERRIBLE, horrible back pain!
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty. Here's the story: I have injured my back..and I really don't know how. Perhaps I did it while exercising, I really don't know. But the pain is below my shoulder, yet slightly above the middle of the *right side* of my back (the pain is all to the right of my spine). I have been having this pain since yesterday, and it is truly unbearable. I can't sit or stand for even a short period of time..I have to immediately lay down because laying down makes it feel better. My question is..does anyone have any back ache remedies to make it feel better? I have tried Advil and Motrin. I am going to be going on vacation on Saturday (with a 3 hr. car drive) and I really would like for this to go away by then.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advil and Motrin are both good choices, being painkillers as well as helping with any swelling. Another technique you might try (if you've got one) is a heating pad. Lay down on the heating pad for a while, and it'll help things feel better.

Other than that, really, it's just a matter of waiting for your back to calm back down (which can't really be forced). Just take it as easy as you can.

Hope it feels good enough for your trip!

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like you pulled something bad. advil will only get you so far (and don't overdo the stuff, it'll wreck your liver). If it's not better in about 3 days, that's when i'd say go get it looked at by your doctor. It could be very serious!

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no. Today is the third day (i believe). But there's no possible way I can go to the doctor's..I'll be leaving Sat. and staying out of town for a whole week. What if something is seriously wrong with me?

------------------

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, in a worst case scenario, you could have badly strained a muscle or even gaffed your spine a bit. are there any strange bruises or discolorations on your back?

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Nope, from just its appearance, my back looks normal. ::worried::

------------------

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried a hot bath or cold compresses? They say laying on a hard surface is the best thing to do for your back. Maybe thats worth a try.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.