Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » tss warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tss warning
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this afternoon i was sitting at my computer, and i felt sick. i ran to the bathroom and threw up. after i thought i was done, i tried to stand up but i felt dizzy and fell down. i called for my brother and nearly passed out. he called 911 and i went to the hospital.

they told me i had toxic shock syndrom.

i never really understood what it was until it happened, and it happened so fast.

to all you girls who wear tampons, please read about t.s.s., it is really rare but really severe.

i almost never wear tampons, but im very sensitive to almost everything so please dont think that it cant happen to you.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Italien, honey, I strongly recommend that you call the hospital again immediately, because it would be highly irresponsible for them to let a TSS victim after one afternoon.

TSS requires intensive care treatment, and I wonder whether you got all the care you need.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they sent me home with a medicationn, some kind of antibiotic.
they gave me all the help they could have, i don't have ne insurance and i went with out a parent. my mom is on vacation right now, so they couldn't contact her.

the doctor just told me to stay home and take it easy, i still feel really dizzy when i stand up, but i take tylenol and i feel better after a while.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard treatment is about a week in intensive care on an IV.

If your local ER is a private hospital and wouldn't treat you, then I suggest you see your county hospital, unless your doctor diagnosed you with something other than TSS.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

why wouldn't they give me proper care?

this scares me now cause i still feel really icky.
could they do that? just send me away?

i live in a pretty small town, there's only one hospital nearby, the rest are all in the city ( Chicago ) there's no way i can get there.

what should i do? i can't die or anything can i?

exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hon...my friend had tss and she stayed for a week while they pumped her with antibiotics. try to get in contact with your parents, and the hospital again, also another hospital. i hate to scare you, but tss is a potentially fatal illness if not treated correctly.

-justine

------------------
have i been wrong?
have i been wise?
to shut my eyes and play along?

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure your doctor diagnosed you with TSS? It's a pretty serious disease, no joke.

Didn't your mom leave you with a number where you can contact her in case of an emergency? Is anyone staying at your house with you? If you aren't feeling well, it isn't wise to stay home alone. Maybe invite a friend over.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Italien, if I recall correctly you live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago where there are LOADS of hospitals.

Again, it would be totally and completely unlikely, especially in a suburban hospital, for a doctor to release a TSS patient on the same day, or even within a day or two. What I suspect is either that you were not actrually diagnosed with TSS or that there is some sort of miscommunication going on here.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.