Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Meditation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meditation
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering a bit about meditation recently and i was wondering what exactly it is. How do you do it? What does it do for you? Just give me some tips about it i guess.
Please and thanks!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people use it to calm themselves down ... clear their minds ... relax. There are many many other reasons as to why one would choose meditation.

There is a really great site here if you're interested in doing a little bit of research on how and why it is used

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe double post .

My Mom took meditation classes because she was having trouble relaxing. They helped a lot, too. Basically, meditation is relaxing and becoming in tune with oneself by stopping everything, and concentrating on yourself. Breathing is also a big part of meditation. Try coming here for more stuff. (I typed meditation in Yahoo, and got a bunch of replies. I just chose this one, so if you want more try a search engine)

------------------
Best body type for a man? Chunky style. With extra gravy

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 04-22-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i meditate. it relaxes me. i usually sit on the floor in a lotus, or simple cross-legged position. then i close my eyes and focus my thoughts onto one thing until i clear my head. sometimes i'll use a mantra. a mantra is a one word chant the keeps you from thinking too hard. good words to use are "moon," "seem," "vase," or "wall." they are one-syllable and have long vowels. you can also experiment with two-syllable words and say one syllable when you inhale, and the next syllable as you exhale. a good example would be "yellow." oh, and i like to meditate in silence or with very soft instrumental music.

there are other forms of meditation such as:
walking meditation
sitting meditation
standing meditation

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine recently suggested I try this, so I've been giving it a go. I think it has been helpful, although the task of emptying my mind is still somewhat difficult for me.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, isn't it amazing when someone replies to a thread you don't remember writing? Since i wrote this, i have started meditating. Depending on my mood it can either be really easy to concentrate or otherwise, i just can't do it. I have to be relaxed, not overtired, and it must be quiet, or something peaceful playing that has no words, otherwise i start thinking of song lyrics, haha!

I found a good site that had tips on different kind of meditations right here

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrStar
Neophyte
Member # 2170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I took a meditation class last year at school(Indiana University). It was such a relaxing class. Meditation is kind of hard to explain, because there are many different types. My favorite type is called "Silva mind control" (or something like that). In class, it was also called "Mind Development". It was extremely relaxing.

We also did other types too, such as Passive nature scences, Yoga, Tai-Chi, Chi Gong, Zen meditation, to name a few.

I highly recommend everyone check out meditation. It definately changed the way I look at life. I'm definatley a much happier person as a result of this class. Good luck.

Posts: 6 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heavenz_Naughty_Angel
Neophyte
Member # 8917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heavenz_Naughty_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By now you no doubtedly know what it is and why people do it

Along with yoga, I highly recommend it.

Posts: 4 | From: Somewhere in the world | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maha
Neophyte
Member # 25206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meditation means to intensely absorb your mind in something or someone. It's no wonder that people have trouble concentrating their minds on emptiness, trying to clear their mind of all the thoughts. The natural course would be to clear your mind of everything thinking about someone very attractive to you, like a young boy first time in love with the girl. Actually God is the sourse of all the wonderfull and wonderous things in this world. He is the most attractive Person. If you try to know Him and think about Him it's easy to free yourself from all the miseries and worries and absorb yourself in Him. All the true systems of meditation be it yoga or something else are build on this. Try it for yourself and discover the whole new world.
As for the mantras, they are the powerfull sound vibrations which have existed since thousands of years, you can't just manufacture it. Again try it for your self and see the difference.
AND the last but not the least - for those poor guys who tried celibacy(or take it as life without masturbation) and announced that it's impossible to do it for longer than one week - i(and many of my friends) have been a celibate for 14 years. I was addicted to masturbation and despite all the talks about it ben' normal it kind of dulls your mind and robs you of self respect. I mean how "normall or natural" it can be? Just look around - do you see animals masturbating? Their life is a real way or Nature. Masturbation won't make you kinder and better person, won't help you to get rid of the anger, greed, lust inside you - things which make you suffer every day! It's not even about angry God punishing you. By being lusty, those poor bastards punish themselves. There planty of natural ways to become peacefull and happy. Try it and see. It's your choice.
Wishing you happy meditation ...

Posts: 3 | From: Delhi, UP India | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try not to generalize here. Not everyone is Catholic and believes in God (or any higher being, for that matter) so if God helped you, great. But not everyone has the same belief system.

As for your bit about masturbation, you're a bit off. On Scarleteen we respond to facts when it comes to this sort of thing, so if you have any scientific information to back you claims of masturbation "robbing you of self respect...dulls your mind...addicting..." share them. Otherwise, don't make those statements, please.

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 09-04-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmm
Neophyte
Member # 25208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, why don't you share with us your belief system? It looks to me that he(or she) was not generalizing, but sharing some realizations. Those of other belief don't have to to be offended, it's a forum, right?

ANd about masturbation, that was his(her) practical experience, why do you bring science in? Where is your scientific proof that it's not harmful? I never heard of a full scale research conducted to verify it.If somebody wants to do it - fine, their choice. But were is you scientific proof that it's good? All you claim is that no one has proof that there is harm. Will try to dig up some facts for you.
But that's not the issue. People do it because they like it, they get gratified, relaxed so to say. ANd even there are some facts, it will get disregarded, in the same way like people take drugs, they smoke and drink although everybody knows that it's harmful. So the real issue is about the drive for pleasure and the means to fullfill it. As far as I understand the topic is meditation and he(she) was trying to share how meditation can give you more pleasure and make you more complete with yourself and God. Let the God be there, by the way, you don't have to be Catholic to accept Him.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a quick search of any of several well-known, well-respected, academic peer reviewed journals will provide quite a great deal of information about masturbation. I'll leave you to do that research yourself, if you so desire. But the long and the short of it is that the scientific and medical community now recognizes that masturbation is a normal part of life. Children experiment with masturbation before they even know what it is that they are doing! There is no indication that the act of masturbating physically harms anyone nor does engaging in it have any inherent negative effects on one's mental or emotional health. There is certainly no connection between masturbation and smoking/drinking/taking drugs.

We certainly support everyone's right to make the decisions that are best for them. So if masturbation does not fit into your beliefs structure, then it's certainly not the thing for you. And that's perfectly fine. However, we do have a problem with people who make claims about physical or emotional harms of an act without providing reasonable evidence to support those claims. So if you have recent, peer reviewed studies to support any of the claims you have made in this thread or the other thread about masturbation, I'd really like to see them.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone in this thread that we respect the views and beliefs of everyone reading and posting on these boards. Whether one is Catholic, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Wiccan, Athiest, or whatever else, we respect their right to believe or not believe in whatever they desire. Please be careful to avoid pushing your beliefs on others or engaging in religious proselytizing.

<We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.>

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and just to add to what kitten and jamsession said above.

maha mentioned animals do not masturbate..

well, hell, I know I'm not the only one who's seen monkeys at themselves in the zoo.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmm
Neophyte
Member # 25208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK here are a couple of links http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2093562.stm http://celibacy.info/SexOverview.html

There is also some info and veiws on http://www.celibacy.org/

Ultimately as I said it all depends what do you WANT to see and believe. No evidence can convince you if you don't want to see it.
There are billions links repeating the same message - masturbation will not harm you
But I haven't found there any seriuos type of research. Just someones opinion. People nowadays want to be free to do things which they thought to be bad before. We can debate on it endlessly. But one thing is for sure - the world humans created nowadays is one kind of a hell. Look on those thugs raping women and kiddies in New Orleans...We need to learn to control our sexual drive to turn our energy and life to a better use. Learn to change our vision of our body and other bodies around as an object of abuse and gratification only.
'Love and lust are as far asunder as a flower garden is from a brothel.' Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmm
Neophyte
Member # 25208

To a slayergurl
That's right - the monkeys - that's who we are turning in by following the process...

mmm
Neophyte
Member # 25208

[Deleted for inappropriate content]

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 09-05-2005).]

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm, you've been warned twice already about proselytizing and breaking the guidelines. If you'd care to review them, here's some handy excerpts:

quote:
You will be held to these guidelines when posting at Scarleteen, whether or not you choose to read them. So, we suggest that you do read them.

...harassment of any sort of other users and/or staff via the boards or e-mail (and that includes religious proselytizing or antichoice canvassing, as well as barking at staff or volunteers for a given answer or response)...

...spamming the board in any way (...by posting replies or topics very rapidly and repeatedly in short periods of time -- posting for the sake of accumulating posts is not acceptable), continual refusal to follow any aspect of this user agreement, three or more posts closed, deleted or direct warnings given due to your behavior or misuse of the boards per the user agreement , snarky attitudes in general...

Similarly, I deleted your link, since that kind of website, regardless of the content the link held is not an appropriate site to link here.

If you wish to continue having discussions at this board, I highly suggest that your tone (this includes referring to our users as 'monkeys') changes. Thank you.

Edited to add that the sexual assaults occuring in New Orleans are incredibly appalling, but are not a result of lust but power. Claiming that societies who masturbate are more likely to commit rape is absurd.

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 09-05-2005).]

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm,

I would prefer that we not belabor this particular point any further in this thread, but rather allow it to return to the topic of meditation at this point.

However, I would like to point out that I asked if you had any evidence present in "well-known, well-respected, academic peer reviewed journals." The websites you provided present secondary evidence at best. While I am currently unable to attain a copy of the actual study that the BBC reported on in your first link, I am in the process of trying to get a look at the actual claims made by their study (rather than just those made by the BBC News, which may significantly differ). Suffice it to say, the abstract of that particular research study does not make reference to a possible connection between the scientists findings in insects and the results being applicible to humans. As to your second link, the doctor publishing said information apparently prefers to publish his information for mass consumption rather than in peer reviewed journals (which may be cause to question his claims). As to your third link, I'm not sure who this individual is, but his website certainly has some questionable aspects (much of it appears to be not only anti-choice, but also anti-women's rights as well).

Also, research has shown that rape is rarely about sex, but rather about power and control and often anger. So I fail to see how the situation in New Orleans has anything to do with masturbation.

Again, I ask that we please return this thread to it's original purpose. Should you like to further discuss masturbation, we can do so in one of the threads specifically dealing with masturbation. However, I would encourage you to provide some substantive evidence if you will to advocate the points you are taking. It's completely fine to assert that masturbation is not for you, however making claims about it being harmful to the public in general without sufficient backing does not lead to an effective discussion.

<And again, I return this thread to it's regularly scheduled discussion about meditation.>

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmm
Neophyte
Member # 25208

Sorry mam, thank you for been pationed with me.
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To return to the original topic, I do the odd bit of meditation now and then. Before exams or any stressful situation(like going on stage) I always like to sit on my own in a quiet space, close my eyes and breathe out the tension.

Always helps. Even just counting to ten and breathing out slowly can make a massive difference to how I'm feeling.

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

When I was doing yoga more regularly, I was meditating on a regular basis. And I think I honestly felt calmer and more centered. Unfortunately, life just got stressful -- and unfortunately the things we do to take care of ourselves are often the first things sacrificed when it starts to get crazy.

I do still use the practice when I need to control fear or anxiety though. By focusing on my breathing, I can help control my emotions. I usually breathe in to "blue" and out to "red".

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.