Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » field trip and lack of pons-need advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: field trip and lack of pons-need advice
Nefertiti
Neophyte
Member # 3050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have a little problem here... Tuesday my class is taking a field trip to a waterpark. Well, what do you know, I went and got my period.. it's been going for 2 days and should probably be tapering off by the time we leave for the waterpark, but I'm still worried. Tampons never seem to work for me (just spent half an hour trying to get one in and it wouldn't), so I'm thinking of just going without. Will I be okay?

------------------
I love deadlines. I especially like the whoosing sound they make as they fly by.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you certainly won't come to any harm. Being in the water can stop the menstrual flow a bit, but honestly, I can't guarantee you that you won't get a bit of spotting.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and go swimming, and put a dark coloured towel around your waste when you're not in the water. If you seem to be bleeding too heavily, then you can always change into your normal clothes with a pad, but since it's the end of your period, and you say it's usually very light by then, the towel should absorb any spotting that does occur.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep yep, I've gone swimming without any protection, 'coz I'm not big on tampons. The water pressure seems to hold it in, but when you're on land, a towel's a good idea.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but the water pressure thing never works for me. Whenever i have a bath I have to use tampons or ... well ... ya know. But i think my uterus must just be working overtime or something. Wouldn't surprise me.

My period is usually lighter towards the end, but i know everyone's cycle differs. If you think you'd be fine, then sure ... go w/o. Just make sure you have a good friend (preferably female) to do a "spot check" on ya once in a while to make sure nothing's visable.

------------------
For I am a bear of very little brain and long words bother me.
~ Winnie the Pooh

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whenever i have a bath I have to use tampons or ... well ... ya know.

But they look so cool! Like little fishes.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

If I run by the window real fast no-one will notice I'm naked.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinupGirl
Neophyte
Member # 2820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinupGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i don't know if this will help, but here are some tips for getting tampons in
Remember that the canal you're trying to insert the tampon into slopes back, as in towards you back. When you're putting the tampon in, don't stick it straight up, because that's not the way your body works.
Also, don't clench your muscles...if things are tighter it will be harder to get that sucker in.
Try sitting on the toilet with one leg up, that helped me my first time!
And if not, maybe just wear board shorts in the water and of couse a dark bathing suit!
GOOD LUCK!

Posts: 32 | From: Sacremento, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did do that once at a waterpark... I wore board shorts the whole time. (The kind that dry real quick in the sun) I wish I had been able to use tampons at the time cuz it would've been SOO much easier and I would have been less frantic the whole time, but if you have a dark towel and wear shorts it should be A-OK.

------------------
"nothing's quite the same now - I just say your name now - but it's not so bad - you're only the best I ever had"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.