Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » "...Women have vaginas!"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "...Women have vaginas!"
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh ... Who knew
http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/05/08/FFXCWN0UFMC.html

Does the word still stick in your throat? Are you able to say it w/o getting a bad case of the giggles or turning 5 shades of red?

------------------
If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vagina, vagina, vagina! Hee hee hee...

I like it when she says, "You never hear people calling out 'you stupid vagina'... It's not a swear word." That was awesome .

That's a great article. You know, I have noticed how the "V" word is known as a bit taboo. But not at Scarleteen! We're awesome baby, yeah!

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...i dont' really say it much, but i don't think i'd have much of a problem with my group of friends(we all have kinda a sick sense of humour, hehe)
Hmmm....odd though...

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee, ya, shouting "you stupid vagina" would be really funny, ha!

I also love the part about the little girl! so cute!

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vagina? Hmm . . . couldn't tell you why, but I much prefer 'vulva'. It sort of sounds like a German car, but I don't think that's the reason why.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Canadian Joke:

Psychologist: I'm going to give you a word association test. Please say the first word that pops into your head when I say a word

Psychologist: house
Patient: sex

Psychologist: tree

Psychologist: broom

Psychologist: vagina
Patient: Saskatchewan

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*lol* good one, Bobo.

vagina. it has three syllables. penis has two syllables.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with the word 'vagina'. But I do notice that very few people call it that. They prefer to use other terms which aren't exactly the most respectful. Shan't go into them for the sake of the other people around.

But hey, vagina when translated in a chinese dialect is considered a swear word. And people actually go "You vagina" The things you learn.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Vagina"...there, I said it! I don't really see a problem with the word, but then I do tend to be rather outspoken and say whatever I think anyway.

What's funny though is that this reminded me of my mom. When I told her I was going to see The Vagina Monologues last semester, she looked at me like I was nuts and asked what exactly it was that I was seeing. So I very calmly explained it to her, and she actually got rather upset. When I asked why, she said she didn't like the title, that it sounded like something dirty, and it just didn't sound proper. Now this is coming from a woman who's been a nurse for years. She can talk about vaginas and penii (did we ever decide on a correct plural term for penis?), but something like that just upset her to no end. I just don't get it.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the word vagina to most slang terms and these days, I have no prob at all to say it out aloud all the bloody time.

I remember some words sounding odd for me when I was little, my best friend and I would laugh about all the terms for penii and vaginas we could come up with, but really, the words I have settled for genitals for today (for everyday use), are pretty technical and hence normal. No biggie here.

*screams* (liberatingly)VAAAAAAAAAAAAGIIIIIIIIIIIIIINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-09-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Penises" or "penes" are the correct and accepted plurals for penis.

And "vulva" is the correct term for the female external genitalia. The vagina is but one part of the vulva. The vulva is the whole banana, as it were.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took Film Studies last semester and we were marking each others' tests ...

One of my friends' answers was "vulva" ... The question had to do w/ what kind of car one of the characters had driven ...

Hehe... It was soooo hard not to burst out laughing ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, when I was in high school I wrote a story for English that mentioned "pubic transport". Although that was a case of skipping over the L in "public".

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had trouble saying "vagina". To be honest, I think it sounds a lot prettier than the slang terms.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife still hates the word.

The thing that I find funny is that men who spend their entire lives chasing women, and desperately trying to get "access" to a vagina...use c*** or p**** as an insult?

------------------
Hersband

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see the problem in saying vagina. It's only a word like another one. But I've never heard someone saying it other than in sex ed classes.

BTW, LilBlueSmurf, you have quite a funny signature.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another interesting thread that hasn't been updated in a while. We've had a lot of new posters since this thread was last active- so how do all our new people (or people who didn't respond before) feel about the word "Vagina", and other words associated with genitalia.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary:
I like it when she says, "You never hear people calling out 'you stupid vagina'... It's not a swear word." That was awesome .

Actually, ppl do -not a good thing but they do (P***y,C**T)

But oh well

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have trouble saying the word.

No problem with "penis" or any other word, but vagina and vuvla just bother me.

My friend and I just call it a "frog" lol.

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 06-01-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no trouble with "vagina", but only when it's used to refer to the actual vagina - it really annoys me when it gets used to refer to the entire female genitals, as if the "hole" was the only bit that mattered (like teaching kids "boys have penises, girls have vaginas". Why not something like "boys have penises and scrotums, girls have clitorises and vaginas"?)

When referring to my own genitals, I'm actually pretty fond of reclaiming the word "c**t" (even thought I guess I can't type it out in full here). It's a powerful word, with a really rich and positive etymology - it's linked to words like cunning, canny, knowing, etc. and to sacred terms in various ancient religions.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
idied4beauty
Neophyte
Member # 6670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for idied4beauty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.. it's crazy. I can say penis in the middle of class, but its hard to say vagina.
Posts: 14 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggish
Activist
Member # 6370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow...I get all weird and whisper a euphemism (like, "down there") like a little kid - and I'm nearly 19 years old! The only time I can say specific words is if I'm speaking strictly about medical issues.
BTW.
quote:
My friend and I just call it a "frog" lol.

Really? How did that one come about?

------------------
~*frog*~

[This message has been edited by froggish (edited 06-04-2002).]

Posts: 41 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

I have used the term "frog" used as a slang term before- as far as I can tell its used to represent either "vagina" or "vulva".
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I just realized your love for frogs, froggish, and how I use the word frog for vagina

It started when me and Whitney were talking about her as a little girl, and the conversation went something like this...

whitney: "it's like my dad says, 'no whitney! don't call it that! call it an... african tree frog!'"
me: "haha. and then you say 'look daddy, she has a frog!!'

I guess who had to be there. It was a while ago, so I don't remember how it went, but VERY funny

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol i can here you saying -
YOU: does this girl ever shutup?
Me: nope =D

anywat...

i just saw a site sumone posted here... and i wanted to also mention i think its also mostly phsychological (did i spell that correctly? lol)... i mean we've come to learn that bigger is better... with houses and land, room, etc... of course this idea cant be used to everything... but its true that this is the well known saying people here... and tag on to everything...

but... i dunno... too big... oucies!...

Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cutie? What exactly are you saying? I dont understand. Is your point that bigger penises are better?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this old thread, and thought I'd add my experiences.

I felt somehow cheated because I didn't meet the word vagina until we were given a health education lesson about periods at age 12. I didn't even know I had one. Not sure how I managed that, because I had been told something like "the man puts his dicky inside the woman" in explanations of how babies are made, and I knew that women have periods. It had just never occurred to me that there was a separate passage there and a third opening, and no-one had taken the trouble to tell me.

As for the existence of the clitoris and the word vulva, I didn't learn about those until even later. It's so annoying that women's anatomy was discussed in less detail than men's in my early life, and when it was finally discussed, I learnt about vaginas first - as if the "hole" is the most important part. This emphasis seems to be so common, with many people confusing the terms vulva and vagina, and the expectation that women will reach orgasm from intercourse only.

I find the word vagina a bit clinical, because I only came across it in formal contexts I guess. But I don't like slang words like c**t because they are used in a negative way. However the description I dislike the most is "birth canal", because it implies that vaginas are only for giving birth. I don't even think I'm likely to ever want children now, so it is a pretty irrelevant description for me.

------------------
Londongirl
Thirtysomething and not actually counting
Who the **** is Londongirl?

[This message has been edited by Londongirl (edited 09-21-2004).]

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no trouble saying vagina. If one can talk about and say the word sex, then one should be able to say, vagina, penis, clit, and etc.

I however didn't learn the word vagina until about my freshman year in HS. Ever since then, i was more appreciative and more respectful to my vagina, clit and it. I saw it as more beautiful and also that it allows you to be connected with a male's penis which obviously is the fact of having sex/intercourse.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.