Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Donating Blood....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Donating Blood....
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst experience of my life. I will never do it again.

I was fine when they were taking the blood outta my body, and then after they took the needle out, I started getting dizzy and light headed and I almost passed out, then I threw up. Oh yeah, thats grea isnt it. I never thought it would be that bad.

My boyfriend told me not to do it, and people were questioning if I even weighed 110lbs, but I thought I did, so I donated my blood. I did it because its for a good cause and I like to do things like that and help out people who need it.

Everyone keeps telling me I look pale. Sheesh, what a day!

Has anyone had that happen to them before? Whats your story of donating blood?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I used o get headaches after donating blood. Because of my meds, I no longer can but encouage those that can to do so. I had a co-worker who had a very rare blood type. The Red Cross (the agency that used to handle blood donation in Canada) kept him on the shelf for emergencies. Every so often, he would get a call at work asking him to report to a certain hospital where his blood type was urgently needed.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a pretty common blood type (A pos). I've donated blood 7 times so far, and two of those have been 'misses'. I've yet to pass out or feel ill, though I have gotten woozy when I sat up too fast. The two 'misses' were awful, though. Both were with the exact same nurses. They had to dig in both of my arms for an adequate vein (no one else has ever had to do that before), and about 2 minutes later, the needle pulled out. I was very unimpressed. The second time, I was so nervous, I was shaking when they came to put the needle in. The same thing happened.

I know it isn't me. Every other time I've been 'tapped' in 5 minutes or less.

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually the one time I went to donate blood (my friends convinced me too I was scared lol yuck needles) I had a cold. I didn't know you weren't allowed to have a cold and donate blood. Well, the first lady I talked to I told her I had a cold and she didn't say anything. Then just before they were about to take it I started coughing. She asked me if I was sick. I was like yeah just a cold though. She was like you can't give blood if you are sick don't you know that. I was like I told the lady up there that I had a cold and she didn't say anything. She was actually pretty mean about it. Oh well! I will try again sometime!

[This message has been edited by Rachel (edited 05-04-2001).]

Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always really wanted to ... I'm pretty sure i'm O positive. Either positive or negative, but i know it's O I also know that any kind of O blood is always in high demand ... So when a blood donor clinic comes around again, I think i'll give some blood. Now that i'm 17, I can do that

------------------
If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to give blood as soon as I was able to again (there's a short waiting period in between donations) but I found out I was anemic and can't anymore.

I can't say that I was saddened at this too much, since like alot of you, there have been 'misses' all too often and it hurt. But the thought of how much I was helping someone else usually made up for the pain. Plus, the donuts and juice they give here are from Dunkin Donuts and are pretty yummy!

Now I volunteer my time for the Bloodmobile and instead of giving blood, I recruit people to donate. For those of you who are medically unable or just don't like needles, giving your time is almost as valuable as the blood itself.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm planning to give blood as soon as I'm able (I'm 15). I know there is a chance of a "miss", and I know that must suck, but a little perspective:

think of the people who are recieveing the blood, I'm sure they've gone through WAY wosre pain then most of us. So maybe if you try to think of the people your helping, it will help you

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is probably the worst thing that a pre-med studentcan say, but i confess: i'm squeamish around needles.

oh, i have no problem sticking someone 'cause i'm a sadistic twerp like that, but god forbid i need a shot in the arm!

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've had that sort of thing happen to me before, but not while I've been donating blood.

It's happened to me during blood tests, though. Once when I was in elementary school, I had blood taken from me as part of some school-wide testing thing. There were mats for all the wimps like me who needed to lie down.

Two summers ago, I went to the doctor's office for a blood test. The nurse sat me down in a chair, and gave me very specific instruction with regard to how to position myself. I followed them. But, while that needle was inside me, I couldn't help it... I passed out. They made me stay at the doctor's office for the next half-hour lying on an uncomfortable couch.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've given blood, and while it's not the nicest thing I've ever done, it really wasn't that bad. Just don't look at the needle going in, and you'll be fine -- if you're like me, anyway.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, i wish i could give blood. i have always wanted to. every year when the blood drive people come to my school, i get so mad that i can't sign up. i don't weigh enough. i hover around 110 lb, and i just don't think i could handle it.

(plus, i have never even had a real blood test. i might get squeamish around needles.)

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did it once, a while back. I kept planning on doing it again, but never really found the time. (University was hectic!)

Since then, its more been a case of disorganisation, laziness, and forgetfulness.

I didn't mind the needle, and I didn't get dizzy after - just weak. (I'm nowhere near 110lbs!)

I just hated the feeling of my bruised vein afterwards. That feels so nasty.

------------------
Hersband

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i wish i could give blood. i did it once, when i was a senior in high school, and i had a horrible, skull crushing migraine the next day. i could hardly move, and had to spend the day in fetal position under covers. i don't know if the two events were necessarily related.. but it sure scared me away from ever giving blood.

has anyone ever donated plasma? i'm curious as to what that's about.. i mean, i know what plasma is.. but is the actual donation similar to giving blood?

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
donating plasma is very similar to donating blood. they extract the whole blood, then centrifuge it until the cells separate from the plasma matrix. then the plasma is either frozen for later use or further processed into things like Factor 8, or other blood products.

scientists are getting closer and closer to making a viable blood substitute, though.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to give blood, at some point. But seeing as I'm barely 5'1 and about 115, I'm not sure it's the best idea.

I'd like to donate my organs, too, actually...

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't donate blood. I'm too skinny. Which could be a good thing because I am squeaminsh about needles as well.

But I definitely want to donate my bone marrow. Yeah, for someone who is scared of pain and needles, this is major. I've always had thing thing about leukemia. When I was young I would imagine that I had leukemia and I guess reading stories about how few bone marrow doners there are and how many people die a year waiting for a suitable bone marrow saddens me.

And yep, I would love to donate all my organs as well. Just take it all.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

to donate blood, i think the requirements are:

110lbs (50kgs)
over 17 (in america)
no new tattoos or piercings in the past 6 months (risk or HIV and Hepatitis if you got yours done at a sketchy place!)
no "risky" sexual behaviors

please add to my list, my memory evades me...

------------------

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ummm, no needle sharing. Even if you did it once. Even a long long time ago, if you used any needle for drugs, you can't give blood. (i think you go the point)

If your iron is to low.

If your preggers.

Thats all i can think of.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:

over 17 (in america)

What?! Well then, why do they have them at High schools, where the majority is under 17? Weird.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: All your base are belong to us!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Well mostly juniors and seniors can do them. Most juniors are 17.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I counted, I was around 7 gallons or so for blood donations (that's 8 pints to a gallon, for those of you not up on your U.S. measurements, and they take a pint each time).

Actually most of those in recent years have been platelet donations (also called apheresis donations). For apheresis they spin the out the platelets and then water down the red blood cells and put them back in. It's a similar process to extracting plasma but I don't sell it, I donate.

I weigh around 135 lbs. and have lovely big veins, no needle squeamishness whatsoever and a high pain threshold, so the Red Cross loves me. Oh, and I'm also CMV-negative, which means I've never had some common virus and my blood is safe for newborns and chemo patients. They call almost every time I'm eligible.

Glitter (and anyone else who's had a lousy experience), I'd encourage you to give it at least one more try. Drink some juice and water beforehand, and if you start to get dizzy, immediately ask them to lay you back down until you get over it. I've found the trick is getting up sloooowly.

Every time I go in, the list of questions gets longer and longer, which means that more and more people are ineligible to give blood. Ever since they discovered that early on HIV was spread through blood transfusions, the Red Cross (and other blood donation organizations) have gotten super careful. This is good, but it means they need all the "safe" donors they can get.

[This message has been edited by Lady Moonlight (edited 05-15-2001).]

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krys2k
Neophyte
Member # 3725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krys2k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the first time i donated blood the guy missed me vein and had to poke me twice! then my bag was filling up really slow and a bunch of nurses went over to me and all went hmmm.....hehe.....so i only filled the bad up about 1/3 of the way.....they said that my blood was clotting too quickly

the second time went better....i filled the bag all the way up *yay* but afterwards i got really dizzy and almost passed out...so i just lied down for a while....

it feels great to do something like that for someone...knowing that donating just once saves 3 peoples lives is great! next time im eligible i plan to go back!!

------------------
I'm not a lie, I'm not an illusion, I'm an angel, so what's the confusion???

Posts: 6 | From: Reno, Nevada, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Lady Moonlight, oh yes I did eat breakfast, I had a bagel and 2 juice boxes. I felt fine before giving blood, and during, it was just after. I didnt even try to get up, it kinda just happend.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to for the helping-people-out part of it, but I'm too skinny and the piercings and whatnot, and so I just find other ways to volunteer.

plus, for awhile, I was on a medication that required me to get my blood tested every 2 weeks - and this wasn't just one little vial of blood, it was 6 or 7. and it didn't hurt or anything, but I think it was the idea - and *every single time* I got blood drawn, for probably 3 or 4 months, I passed out. I had a system: I lay down on the table instead of sitting up. so the needle went in, I blacked out, and woke up to a Mars bar! not too bad.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalalalalalala
Neophyte
Member # 3839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalalalalala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave blood for the first time a few months ago. It didn't hurt and I felt fine afterwards. I ate some snacks and drank liquids to regain some energy just in case. However, a few hours later when I was on my way home, I fainted right on the sidewalk. Someone saw me fall and helped me. I don't know how long I was out, though. I wanna donate blood again, but I don't want another bad experience...
Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
to donate blood, i think the requirements are:

110lbs (50kgs)
over 17 (in america)
no new tattoos or piercings in the past 6 months (risk or HIV and Hepatitis if you got yours done at a sketchy place!)
no "risky" sexual behaviors

please add to my list, my memory evades me...

What qualifies as risky sexual behavior? I'd really like to donate, and don't want anything in my way, lol.

------------------
Signed, Moth.

"Nothing in Life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Risky sexual behaviour= unprotected sex with a partner who has not been tested twice over a more than six month period of monogamy- covering penis in vagina intercourse, oral sex, anal sex and anything involving exchange of blood, semen and vaginal secretions without a latex barrier in place.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here's something you can do with your summer vacation.

you can even bank spare blood for yourself (for a limited time, but ask the blood bank about it).

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do this once a year at our school. It's open to anyone and i think it's a fabulous idea. Anyone else's school have this going? If not, i think it's a good idea to look into it.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beppie, your definition of risky sexual behavior is lovely, but unfortunately, not the one they use to determine whether or not you may donate blood. If you are a man who has had sex with a man, you may not donate blood. If you are a woman who has had sex with a man who has had sex with a man, you may not donate blood. If you have ever had sex for money or drugs, you may not donate blood. I think that's about it. They don't take into consideration whether or not you take safer sex precautions, whether or not you've been tested for HIV, or how many partners you've had.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Our school does it every year in May, but of course I didnt do it because I was still scared from last year...Im such a baby, aint I?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Heather Corinna

lilithelf
Neophyte
Member # 6877

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lilithelf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy horse manure..If those qualifications are correct, I donated blood and I was not supposed to as I am a woman who has had sex with a man who had previously had sex with a man....Two of 'em, even....They didn't even ASK me that one..wow...so, that's nice to know....never mind that all my male partners have been the biggest condom-lovers on the planet, I get tested at least every four months, etc...heh..that's just odd though..I saved lives and I wasn't supposed to...well then...

------------------
"i am not an angry girl
but it seems like i've got everyone fooled
every time i say something they find hard to hear
they chalk it up to my anger
and never to their own fear" -'Not a Pretty Girl' by Ani Difranco

Posts: 13 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni
Activist
Member # 6560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I did not know you couldn't donate if you are anemic. That really saddens me. We have a drive every year at school, and next year I would have been able to participate (me being 16 as of exactly a month ago! woohoo!).

Of course, I'm also only about 113 pounds and have tiny veins which are hard to find for all the nurses I've ever had draw my blood.

So, in short, this sucks because I really, really wanted to donate and I don't have any squeamishness about the whole sittuation.

just wanted to give my two cents;].

------------------

If you want to dip into someone else's life for a while then go here

Posts: 43 | From: US | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.