Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » pads and sweat...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pads and sweat...
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, i know i posted this a while back, but i can't find it...
i sweat a lot and a bunch of people said a certain type of deoderant that is supposed to work really well. Secret platinum is what i use now, and it's just not cutting it.
It is the best that i have used, but i still sweat a whhhoooollle lot. I would like to get through one day without having a big pit stain by the time school ends(sorry, kinda gross)

And secondly, are washable pads usually available just at a drug store? I haven't had time to go down there and i just wanted to know.
Are there any really good kinds?
Are they better, in your opinion, than dispossable ones?

Let me know, thanks.
:P

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really address the sweat issue but I think it is important to keep in mind that it is perfectly healthy and normal to sweat.

As for the washable pads. I like them. I do find them a bit bulky compared to the super slim pads so I wear them around the house. When I leave the house I use my Keeper. I like both options because they have less impact on the environment and they are super cost effective.

You can't find them at drugstores because they tend to be hand made. I buy mine from urban Armor, a Montreal group. You might want to contact them and ask if they know of any similar groups in your area.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow bettie, that urban armor site is great! i think i'll be placing a few orders...

thanx a bunch!

jess

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, agree, Thanks for that link, bettie. Woah, their pads really are very very purty.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...I know EXACTLY what you are goin through with the sweat. I hate it too. I know that it means your bod is healthier because you are sweatin more...but it is very upsetting when your fave shirt has been ruined. I also use platinum and it doesn't cut it. The active ingredient is the aluminum whatever. Platinum has 19% and the only one that i know is higher is Mitchum. try that, and if it doesn't work, ask your dermatologist bout a perscription antiperspirant. hope i helped!
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know sweat is natural, but it's kinda gross to sweat that much. I always have to wear sweaters and light shirts, etc.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i just thought of something:

those pads are really pretty, but don't they kinda get stained? that would wreck the prettiness of them

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few words from the resident safety slut.

Antiperspirants are not actually safe. They work by essentially blocking the pores which the sweat comes from, and what that can do is cause permanent "clogs" that keep toxins in your body that very much need to be released. I wasn't entirely convinced of that as a valid danger myself until a very close friend of mine had to have surgery which sliced her armpits open to fix that. She became very ill before the surgery was done.

Sweat is normal, it's natural, and it really is necessary. Deoderants are fine and safe if you want to use them, but antiperspirants are truly best avoided or used sparingly.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, daisy, i think i know what you're talking about: was the product something called "certain dri"? i think glitter posted something about that awhile back.

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sidenote: (duh, very cosmo one, I admit, guilty as charged)

If sweating really bothers you and you keep getting sweat stains on lighter clothing yet you still want to wear that light blue blouse for the job interview (or whatever), you can actually buy little cotton "pads" that you can sew or stick in the armpits of your blouses that sort of help avoid stains for a while. You can get those in old fashioned lingerie stores. I had never heard about those thingies until I was forced to wear a shiny blue blouse for that TV thing with my guy. I was sweat machine that day, for all that excitement, and nothing would help, really. Not nice. While they are nothing for everyday, they certainly help if you want to avoid full blown anti-perspirants and stains.

And in regards to the stains on the reusable pads, I think most of the blood washes out well, and if you soak the pads in cold water before throwing them in the washing machine, the staining really isn't bad at all. And I bet they aren't that obvious on leopard print anyway.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.gladrags.com/

cloth pads, etc.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus
________
masterbating is what the MASTERS do.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.