Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Same size as Mom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Same size as Mom?
JennaH
Neophyte
Member # 3257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JennaH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young, I heard that girls take after their mothers but I along with most of my friends have bigger breasts than our mothers. I think of it as a common trend these days. Is this true for most of you girls as well to outgrow your mom? I am 18 and a 36C, my little sister is 13 and already a 36B and my mom is a 34B. I know puberty starts younger and younger but is true about the average bra size being a 36C where 10 years ago it was 34B?
Posts: 13 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nookiebabe16
Activist
Member # 2190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nookiebabe16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a 36C and my mom was a 38DD before her operation..thank God I didnt follow in her footsteps
Posts: 58 | From: Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, your breast size is generally determined by a variety of things: BOTH your parents genes, your general body type and build, your body fat ratio, your hormonal levels, and room for some random variables.

So, while it is certainly POSSIBLE to take after your mother, it is just as much not possible.

In terms of what you're seeing as a group, it might be worth mentioning that in general, most young women now have had better nutrition and have a higher body fat level than their mothers did while they were developing. And puberty is *right now* happening overall younger than it was say, 40 years ago, and certainly 100 years ago, but there does appear to be a baseline level that is never seems to cross -- throughout history and global culture -- on the low end overall.

As far as the stats go, I have never heard any evidence to suggest it has gone up a cup size in ten years in terms of natural breasts, especially since overall in the last 100 years women have grown larger in terms of their whole bodies, but even between 1930 and now, that increase has only been at about two inches in height and a little over ten pounds in total weight. A full cup size in ten years naturally? Doubtful.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-05-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
If I may interject, the British newsmagazine "The Economist" reports exactly that. British brassiere manufacturers have had to adjust their marketing to take into account the general increase of one cup size in the British female population over the past 20 years.

------------------
"A free society is a place where it's safe to be unpopular."

- Adlai Stevenson

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but they didn't state if that was because of the popularity of implants, rather than a breast growth of a full cup size, which just doesn't mesh with stats on women's body growth in the last century at all.

Which I'd guess it is.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-05-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and I are almost the exact same size, the only thing that is different is that I have smaller hips and she has bigger hips, and her boobs are slightly bigger than mine, but other than that we really close. Oh yeah and Im shorter than her too.

My mom and I share eachother clothes all the time, my mom dresses really hip and in style, (like me) so we really like borrowing eachothers clothes!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am MUCH larger than my mother. I'm about 5 inches taller, 50lbs heavier and wear a bra two cups sizes bigger. and that's at present.

when she was my age (20), she was even smaller.

i'd blame it on a variety of factors. Could that she grew up in a developing country whereas I was "made in the USA." Throw in a little "better living through chemistry," a few months on the Pill caused my breasts to experience a bit of a growth spurt, though I was already of comparable size to my mum even before the Pills.

As for precocious (early) puberty, take that news with a grain of salt. Yes, chemicals in our foods and medicines have pushed menarche (first menstruation) up a few years. But let's not interpret 7-year-olds with pubic hair to be anything "normal." Much of the time, those cases are due to tumors in the hypothlamus or pituitary glands (they control hormone secretion) or something going a little haywire with the adrenal glands.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also...another thing to take into account, my mom used to be a 36c, but after she had 3 babies (me and my 2 sisters) her boobs shrunk.lol, so...even if you are bigger than her now, she might have been the same size as you before she had a couple of babies.
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's funny, because I seem to be the odd one out when it comes to the body in my family...my mum's boobs are a hell of a lot more bigger than mine, and when I asked what size they were when she was my age, she refused to tell me LOL

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually, chemicals may be only one contributing factor to earlier therarche and menarche.

But what most health professionals agree on, from having watched global patterns, is that with better nutrition and thus a higher body weight, menarche tends to happen earlier. In about 1850, the average age of menarche was about 16 or 17. Now it is years earlier, but girls right now are FAR better fed and healthier than they were then.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being far better fed (and in many cases over fed) may also play a role in the increase in average breast size.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babs456
Neophyte
Member # 2716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babs456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You never can tell how big your boobs will get. It depends on a LOT of things. In my family, my Mom is 34B and 5-3 tall. I am 15 and 5-2 tall and 34A and my sis is 11 and 5-5 and 34C !!! SO you never know - tho I wish I was C cup and not my sis !!
Posts: 9 | From: CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautiful_teardrop
Neophyte
Member # 2517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautiful_teardrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm C/D, mom is A
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babs456
Neophyte
Member # 2716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babs456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Teardrop - is it weird being that much bigger than your Mom ? My sis says it is, but I was wondering if it was for you too ?
Posts: 9 | From: CA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.