Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » The Trouble with Toilets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Trouble with Toilets
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got your attention, didn't I?

Check out this article at salon.com. The loo and love

I've always found this to be one of those odd issues. An issue that exists, but nobody talks about at all. So, my question to you is, what do you think about all this?

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not the only one?!?!?!?! whoa!!!

Since he spends a lot of time with me, I've taken to searching for the most obscure bathrooms on campus. Or at least I make sure I turn up my stereo up extra loud and then turn on the vent in my bathroom and lock the door twice.

a sad existance i lead. i can't even take a leak in peace.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never been in that situation exactly, but i can't pee when he's around. in fact, i can't pee when anyone is around, or i can, but it takes a lot of effort.

so yeah, i think i'll join the ranks of the neurotic.

em

------------------
Once in awhile you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

-The Grateful Dead

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with what she mentioned as the Freudian thing. I'd rather have my genitals as a sexy, clean, alluring part of me than a, in my mind, yucky place. I can't even pee near my girlfiends, let alone a guy! I just think I'm too loud .

------------------
Sin by thy lips? Oh trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am just glad to know I'm not the only one! This hasn't been an issue with my boyfriend so far...basically cause he lives 8 hours away, lol! But I do go to college and I live in a dorm, and it's hard enough to pee with other people around, let alone do anything else. I'll have to confess to knowing exactly what time of day most of the people on my end of the hall are in class, and that's the operative time for doing that sort of thing. It just seems like such a private thing to be doing in a reletively public area!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rite! i knew i couldn't be the only one who had iSSues with this. i cant pEE around my boy...and who knows about taking a crap.

does the same thing go with farting??

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm completely comfortable w/ my bf!!

I always have to get up to pee when we're having sex, so a lot of the time he'll come w/ me. Just to be w/ me. And i tickled his bum and he farted on me ... We got a kick outta that one too. But i would say we're really really comfortable w/ each other

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no problem going to the bathroom with my SO around or anyone else for that matter.

I guess its cause since I was little I was taught that holding it wasn't good for your system and since I didn't want to end up in the hospitale (I pictured that anyting could end me in there and that being the worst place to me when I was a kid) I just went to the bathroom.
and no one has gotten grossed out yet so I'm doing ok

------------------
*~ Daisy ~*
"It's 8am and today I wanna save the world.
.....I'll start from my bed."

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazingly enough, I have never had that problem. I make it a point to empty my bladder after sex so I'll end up peeing while he showers or washes himself at the sink.

About taking a dump, we haven't tried that before although I have walked in on him a couple of times. But we are not comfortable with having each other in the loo while we are taking a dump coz we both need to errm, concentrate. We both have to read in the toilet.

But I'm absolutely comfortable with him even when it comes to "gross" things like farting. That's one thing I really love about this relationship.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about farts and poops is nothing. But if I may relate, my family has this tendency to talk about bathroom functions at meals. We can't sit down to eat until someone talking about their gas or their constipation or something. Especially since my dad got over colon cancer -- that gave him plenty to discuss.

My family came up to visit, and we brought my boyfriend along for brunch at a nice dim sum place. I warned him in advance about how my folks like to talk about this stuff at the table. He thought I was kidding. So we were debating whether to get some tea or not. My dad said no tea, and my boy asked why not. So dad leans in and says so matter-of-factly, "Tea makes you constipated." Given that my father had nary spoken a word to him before, my boyfriend was somewhat disturbed.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdxnc
Neophyte
Member # 2697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdxnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls you're not the only ones with difficulties "taking a **** " near your lover. I'm a guy and yesterday I was at my gf's house and i really had to go but i held it as long as i could i guess cause i didn't want to stink up her bathroom or smell me or something, i donno really, i just felt REALLY uncomfortable about it.
Posts: 12 | From: Quebec, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, what a relief. I'm not alone.

My partner and I share the bathroom, but not for toilet matters. I don't know why, we just don't. Never discussed it, but I make an informed guess I wouldn't be comfy about it. I'm not terribly comfortable peeing in company in intimate settings, such as two stalls only. But it's been getting better - I can go to the loo with girlfriends on parties and don't mind. So I'd guess I could pee near my partner. After all, we all go to the loo, eh? No real need to have a shy bladder (or colon for that matter).

One of my exes made a point of telling me he wanted his loo time private. Whatever makes one happy, eh?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood what's so embarrassing about being heard while peeing...

Once I went to the bathroom at school and these two girls came in after me. One girl went into the stall and she got the other girl to turn on the tap really loud, to cover up her noise.

I also hear that in some bathrooms (in Japan I think) you can put a coin in a machine that will make noise while you pee!

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most people have this problem. I do, too, sometimes. It really depends. Around a guy, especially if I liked him, I'd simply curl up and die. I agree with the Freudian explanation someone posted earlier. Makes the most sense...people don't want others to think of bodily waste when they think of their genitals. They want them to think of, well, sex. Makes sense, I guess. By now it's some kind of collective neurotic tendency. ::shrugs::

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i actually have no problem doing that sort of thing around my husband. it bothered me at first but not anymore.

------------------
frozendreems@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdxnate250
Neophyte
Member # 2771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdxnate250     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a great t-shirt at the mall the other day. It says girls don't poop... I think they might but I've never seen or heard it before... Its a mystery to men. Kinda like the loch ness monster or bigfoot. Guys always talk about "taking a dump" or whatever. I have friends that take bets on color and texture on their way to the bathroom. I've never heard girls talk about that though...
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.