Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Are You Happy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are You Happy?
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering whether to post this for a while but I thought it might be interesting. It's a bit of a vague question I know, but who here considers themself happy? Like, not constantly jumping around ecstatic, but content and fulfilled and glad to be alive? Personally, I wouldn't, not by a long way, but I'd like to know if there really are real people out there who feel happy. Any answers?

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. I haven't always been happy to be who I am, but at this point in my life, I am pretty happy with my life. It's a pretty good life. It has its ups and downs, but overall, it ain't bad and I'm basically on the side that life is generally a Good Thing.

(See? It does happen!)

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this stage I'm happier than I have ever been before in this lifetime..
I've learned to accept who and what I am.. and things are finally coming together like pieces in a puzzle

entropie

------------------
Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I happy? Gosh, I haven't really thought about that. I guess it's not something you have to think about.... You either are or you aren't. But I just don't know where I am right now. Sometimes I'm happy to be alive and sometimes I'm not. It all depends. I guess overall, I'm happy. Even if I'm having a bad day, I can always find a place in me where there's happiness. I'm probably not making a lot of sense. I'll have to think about this one more extensively. :::walks off mumbling, "Am I happy? Hmmmm....":::
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, the first time someone asked me that I fell in love with them, literally. It was this year, in ninth grade, in my 14th year of living, and it was the FIRST time that anyone cared to ask if I was happy. My therapist, friends, family, school counselor, no one ever asked. And it was just at that momen I knew I loved him...um sorry i'm getting off topic.

I'm very estatic and perky all the time, but I'd say I'm not happy, I'm certainly not content with my life. My one goal in life is to be happy *sigh*

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty content. Some pretty crappy things are going on, but then some good things are happening too. It all cancells out into a general sense of comfort.

------------------
I have a hideous, hideous secret...
you see, when the full moon shines, I undergo terrifying changes... My skin gets hard and stiff... shingles grow on top of my head... I turn into... a house.

That's right... I'm a werehouse.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy. I don't constantly wear a toothpaste-commercial-smile but I'm satisfied with the way my life is.

------------------
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't consider myself happy. Since I often feel unimportant and unwanted. Also, because I tend to have low self esteem- I am very sensitive to the things people say, and any little thing lowers it. Every once in awhile I feel like not getting out of bed because everyone is better than me- of course I know this isn't true, but there are some days when it feels like that. And I hate having those days. Other than that, I'm truly happy sometimes. I just have bad days every once in awhile, and that's the only thing holding me back.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
happy is such a loaded word. i prefer to say i'm content.

and i can type a li'l more without much discomfort now

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't really say i'm happy ... but nothing is really wrong w/ my life. I have to try to stay positive to GET happy. I do get there once in a while, but i'm just one big mood swing anyway
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im getting to where im happy all the time. it is taking a while and i was unhappy (as you can tell by the name) for a while. since i was 10. i am now 19 and the doctor has me on celexa. things have gotten better, im just taking it one day at a time.

------------------
frozendream1026@aol.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, am happy. Depsite the stress and the worries and all, I am happy. Generally. There are still things where I am not *content* about how I'm handling them, but generally, I am happy at the mo. Quite remarkable if I consider the fact that roundabout this time last year, the idea to drive my car into a concrete wall sounded like a pretty damn good idea.

------------------
"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very happy, and have been as long as I can remember. I think I've had an unusual amount of good fortune (whole loving family, beautiful home, lots to eat, wonderful health, good friends, good loves, tons of opportunities and inspirations, freedom, goals), and I think one of my greatest wishes is that I'll have time in this lifetime to just get started paying off the karmic balance (as it were).
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh. Happykoger. Happykoger.

I am happy. I'm reaching a stage of my life when I accept the fact that I can fail. I can get Ds for assignments and Ds do not mean I am stupid. In fact, I'm feeling so good I'm starting to feel a little big headed.

I'm learning that I can do anything I want. And I love that.

But when PMS strikes. Ooh boy. But now that I'm on the Pill my symptoms don't seem to be as bad.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say I'm happy. Of course there are days when I'm sad or unhappy or just down, but generally when I look at my life I spend a majority of it happy. I think you have to decide to try to be happy to be happy. I know sometimes I've just decided that I don't want to make the effort to attempt to enjoy something and so I don't. I'm not saying that it always works, but I think I generally decide to be happy. I also am extremely content with the way my life is going right now
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You won't find happiness in material wealth, drugs, fame or relationships. True happiness is found readjusting your mental attitude. Again, I recommend reading Matthew Chapter 5. Especially read the part about the Beattitudes.

------------------
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist:
Again, I recommend reading Matthew Chapter 5. Especially read the part about the Beattitudes.

Baptist, I respect what you are saying, but some people dont believe in the same things that you do, so I dont recommend that you give advice to tell people what to read if it has to do with the Bible or any culture or religon you believe in. As I said before some people believe what you are saying and others don't.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glitter695,

I was offering advice, not telling someone to believe in anything. Please stop promoting political correctness.

------------------
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."

-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And thank you for your recommendation Baptist.

But I think you should understand that some people do find true happiness in relationships and material wealth.

And that doesn't make them any worse than anybody out there.

We just all have different definitions of happiness. So once again, thanks for your input.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was happy before I was in my current relationship, but now I know I'm happy. My partner really made me realized all that I have to be thankful for. He makes my life a step better than it was. Happieness can come from so many different things. Don't limit yourself.

~mags

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I happy? Yeah, actually I think I am happy. Like somebody else said, there are good days, and there are bad days...but overall the good days seem to out weigh the bad ones lately. I'm not sure that I can say I'm completely content necessarily, cause there are still alot of things I want and need to do. But I've made peace with myself about alot of things lately, I feel very spiritually fulfilled lately, and I'm learning something new about myself everyday. So yes, I think I'm happy.

~KittenGoddess

Excellent topic, by the way!

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.