Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Can Pantiliners Tell If You're Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Pantiliners Tell If You're Pregnant?
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly, according to this article!

I think it's a pretty good idea, but kind of.......scary? I would like to know how they'd be able to tell such things, and I don't know if I'd want chemicals like that so close to my vagina for long amounts of time. What about the rest of y'all?

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulldoo!

I don't see it coming. Those are some life altering situations there, and they DO need councelling ... Finding out if you're pregnant or carrying an STD should not be done alone. As for periods, i would be ok w/ that. I'm on the pill now and i can almost count to the second when i'm about to start. I don't know about the chem component of it tho ... I don't like the sound of that at all!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't we just talking about multitasking panties? I think Hanne and Milke brought it in one of those smart replies.

I don't like pantyliners as it is and I wouldn't wear one to see if I was pregnant or if I contracted a disease. For me, it just seems simpler to go get a pregnancy test and an STI screening. At least then I know what may happen. I don't want to go to the bathroom and then get shocked with the news that I am pregnant. I think I'll pass if that product ever comes on to the market.

------------------
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be a little wary of the chemicals they're using but if it was safe I'd use 'em. Not to find out if I'm pregnant/have STD's, but to know when my period's coming. Mine are so wacky (I'll get them every three months or two months or maybe twice a month or who knows what my body's thinking. And I've only had them for FIVE years!) that it would be VERY helpful to know when they're coming. but I wouldn't want to be going to the loo and look down to see if my periods coming and BAM I'm pregnant.

But I don't think that they'll be available until I hit menopause (in other words, they won't be here for a while)

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was a chemically safe way to do it, I think it would be a good idea. My periods are slightly irregular- a variation of a few days each month, nothing more, and it would be good if I could get a better idea of when they're going to turn up from a special pantyliner!

As for the pregnancy/STD testing, I really don't see how that could be terribly reliable. Possibly it could give you alerts that you MIGHT be pregnant, or infected, but I'd guess you'd still have to go to the doctor to find out for sure. It might not be bad though, even having such a vague warning- it may make people sit up and realise, "yes, I really should go get tested".

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't use that brand because I heard they donate money to the satanic churches.

It just doesn't sit right with me...nothing personal :0)

Winnie

------------------
..because being evil is soo much more fun..
~dark queen of scully's non-existant social life~

Member of OBSSE & GAWS

"True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare, false friends are like autumn leaves, blowing everywhere"

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT.

We're sorry, but we try not to encourage the perpetuation of urban legends on this site. There is no truth to the myth that any major company or companies are donating money to "the satanic churches." In point of fact, there are no significant organized "satanic churches."
www.snopes.com is a great source of information about these and many other "urban legends." Check it out.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

[This message has been edited by Hanne (edited 02-28-2001).]

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i might would use them i dont know. if it could tell me if i was pregnant and i was a teenager i would get them. that way my mom wouldnt know that i thought i was pregnant. now for the stds i dont think that i would want to find out that way. but what do i know i get tested all the time (once a year) and i have 2 kids so im not afraid to find out if im pregnant. so i guess that my opinion doesnt matter. so ignore me. im sorry.

------------------
frozendream1026@aol.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can definately see how it would be helpful to have pantyliners that could give you advanced period warning. I know that I seem to have a built in advanced warning system in the form of nasty cramps for at least a day before I actually start. But my sister doesn't have that, and hers is somewhat irregular, so she never knows when it's coming. So I can see that being a positive thing.

As far as STD and pregnancy testing...I don't know that I'd necessarily want that personally. Although it would be nice to know that you have a yeast infection as soon as it starts...but the other side of that coin would be that alot of women would probably try to treat themselves for that without consulting a doctor the first time at all. So I don't know.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind that pregnancy tests are going to be more accurate and are just as easy to use as this thing they're thinking of.

Also bear in mind that most STDs can't be tested for by simply urine or vaginal mucus. So, it's limited at best.

And heaven knows what sort of chemicals will be on the thing because the overuse of chemicals, bleaches and toxic fibers that are ALREADY in most commercial brands of tampons and pads.

I have to add to that my first reaction when I read about this last wee was that the folks at P&G have obviously never seen anyone after they got a positive result on an HIV test. If they had, they'd probably realize that learning about it during lunch in the bathroom is less than sound or ideal.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost wonder if they would have to use more organic components in the pads. Perchlorate and other whitening and such agents are pretty strong chemicals...
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.