Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » curious about the clitoris...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: curious about the clitoris...
Alexquestion
Neophyte
Member # 2539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexquestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that all woman are different. Does the clitoris respond differently to stimulation in all women?
Is it supposed to become erect and extend out from the hood, or is it supposed to remain stationary and simply swell?
This website suggests:
"In women the clitoris and inner labia become puffy, stiffer, and somewhat enlarged, and at the same time, the vagina produces a slippery lubrication. "

During stimulation, my partner's clitoris does not appear to change (Swell, enlarge, change color) in any way, but she does feel stimulated and can reach orgasm. Is this OK? (she has no complaints and gynecological exams have been normal, but then again she has never asked her doctor if her clitoris is supposed to become erect from stimulation).

Thanks for shedding some light on this...

Posts: 6 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, i must say i'm impressed that you took time to read the site before posting It's very unusual, lately ...

If your partner is getting pleasure out of what you're doing and has been for gynecological exams and they have found nothing wrong, then i'm sure you have nothing to worry about. If you're really curious as to why this is happening tho, one of you should probably ask. Everyone is different, so i'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

Again ... Thank you for taking the time to actually read the articles put on this site ... They're there for a reason

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fine question, that.

Do understand that the degrees of change in the clitoris are generally FAR less maarked than in a penis. So, no clitoris is going to swell to twice it's size, in general. It also will not get obscenely red. But there are changes during arousal, even if they aren't very visible.

Too, it may be that you're not seeing your partners genitals when she's not aroused. Usually, having someone get a birds-eye view of your genitals who you're attracted to is arousing in and of itself!

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alexquestion
Neophyte
Member # 2539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexquestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for your responses. I must admit that sometimes I had to read the site several times to realize that my answers were actually in there.

So my partners response is just the way her individual body works. Do the majority of women respond similar to this description, or do some women actually extend further?

One more thing: Lilbluesmurf suggests talking to the gynecologist-- this is always difficult to convince a woman to do, and I would do it if I could (she insists on making the doctor visits without me). Perhaps Miss Scarlet could add a section on how to talk to your gynecologist, and what men can do to help and perhaps how a man could seek information from a gynecologist. This may seem basic, but I think there is a need for it.

Thank you for your advice and this incredible and valuable web site!!

[This message has been edited by Alexquestion (edited 01-31-2001).]

Posts: 6 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You asked for it, you've got it!

We have a whole section on gynecologist visits right here: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/gyne.html

There isn't anything in there about involving boyfriends, because to be frank, it really is something a woman needs to be able to take care of herself. She won't always have a man around in her life (if at all) and even if she did, her sexual health really is her responsibility, and autonomy is important. EVERY sexually active woman really needs to have an annual appointment. It's incredibly important, and it's not always difficult to convince a woman to do: really, no one should need convincing. Our genitals really are just another part of our body, and it's just not that big of a deal.

But anyone can call a gynecologists office or go into a clinic and ask questions.

In terms of clitoris questions, it really depends on the clitoris is question: like penises, they vary in size, color and shape pretty widely, and they vary in how they respond to stimulus.

...and you're welcome.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.