Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Dry, cracked nipples :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dry, cracked nipples :(
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nipples hurt!! *sniffle*

All this week they've been cracked and peeling and they sting ... It almost feels like i've got frostbitten boobs It's really hard to explain ...

There's no discharage or anything, they're just red and sore. I just want to make sure that there's nothing to worry about ... since i know discharge is really bad but i don't know of cracked nipples being something worth a trip to the doc ... ??

I've been using vaseline cream stuff (it's not like petrolium jelly or anything, it's actually body cream) and it makes the itching stop. I feel kinda weird walking down the street scratching my chest ... hehe

Has anyone ever ran into a prob like this? Any suggestions? Thx

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you trace it back to any particular starting point? In any case, I'd give the doc a call, just to be sure.
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peeling? Ewww....

Sounds like a really bad case of dry winter skin to me. Is it just on your nipples or other parts of your body? I have a skin condition called excema (really hard word for majorly dry skin), and I get red, itchy, peely skin all over when I get it. Thankfully, I haven't had an outbreak in a while.

I'd recommend a trip to the doctor to see if it's dry skin or something worse. But for now, just keep applying a body lotion rich in moisture (i.e. Lubriderm, Jergens...), and don't itch!

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shygurl
Activist
Member # 1764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be that you are wearing a bra or a shirt that has material like wool in it that irritates your skin, that has happened to me before, it sucks!
Posts: 47 | From: BFE | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll support the going-to-the-doctor suggestions, and offer another for relief until you do. Go to the baby aisle of any discount/drug store and look for the breastfeeding items. They're usually located around the bottles and things. You'll find nipple creams that are made especially for dry and cracked nipples that won't cause further irritation, like normal lotions that aren't designed especially for that type of tissue can. Most of them are made with aloe and lanolin.

[This message has been edited by Aria51 (edited 12-18-2000).]

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smurf,
Remember the other night when you and I were talking about your diet, and about recurring yeast infections?

This again -- dry or flaky or cracking skin -- well may be yet another symptom that your system is just really overrun with candida.

All in all, at this point, I can't advise some dietary changes enough.

1) Drink water. At least two full glasses a day, and be sure that you're drinking more water than other fluids like soda.

2) Balance out all the starches you eat with fruits, vegetables and proteins.

3) Start eating organic yogurt or taking acidophilus supplements ASAP. You need to correct the balance of flora in your body so that the healthy bacteria (in organic yogurt or acidophilus) rids you of the unhealthy kind.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In line with the idea that you may have a fungal or bacterial skin infection, here's another thing you might want to do --- UNTIL YOU CAN SEE A (COMPETENT) DOCTOR.

Caveat: I normally do not endorse self-medication for unknown conditions, but in this case, it might help and it can't hurt you to try it.

Go and buy a tube of Monistat 7 or Mycelex antifungal *cream* used to treat vaginal yeast infections. Get a box of 2 inch by 2 inch gauze pads, too. Twice a day, take a gauze pad, smear a healthy amount of antifungal cream on it, and slap that puppy on your nipple and leave it there. It may not cure things, but it MAY help if what you're dealing with is a fungal skin infection.

If you have chronic fungal infections, though, what Ms. Scarlet says is very true. Lots and LOTS of water (many sources will tell you to drink at least a gallon of plain old water a day to help with this). Lots of fresh veggies and fruits to make sure your immune system is getting all the vitamins it needs. Eat some yogurt to help repopulate the "friendly bacteria" in your digestive system. And this is the tough one: cut down on or even give up sugar and refined carbohydrates like white bread, pasta, cookies, pretzels, and so on. It sounds weird, I know, but cutting down on refined sugars and simple carbohydrates can be very helpful to people who have chronic candidiasis.

And do go see a doctor. See a second doctor if your regular doctor isn't taking this stuff seriously. You've had a lot of infections and boils and other conditions since you've been posting here that are suspiciously like the symptoms many people have when they have an underlying problem with some kind of smoldering infection or other, and you don't need to live with all that ickiness! It's no fun! And it can be treated, so go do it, girly.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tea tree oil's another good antifungal, smells funny, like carrots, but it's gentle, and it's getting pretty common. And the Wal-Mart near us has something called Udderly SMOOth, which, as you may have guessed from the multiple puns, is meant to be used on cow udders, and is one of the best body lotions I've found.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh hey... something to take note of:

it's a really BAD idea to use products like vaseline (or any other petroleum based products) on nipples, it can clog the ducts.

If this isn't fungally related, i'd recommend a product called "mecca" it has antiseptic qualities - and it's AMAZING at moisturizing. I was using it for peircings before, and found that it did wonders on chapped lips, and dry, cracked and bleeding nostrils Best of all, it's water soluble.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have eczema..and I get what you have only in the winter. Never in the summer. I wouldn't worry about it..I've been to the doc's about mine, and they have given me this cream stuff I think it's Hydrocortizone and acid mantle (types of creams) mixed together. It works wonders. Maybe you haver eczema too??

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.