Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Belly Bubbles..lol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belly Bubbles..lol
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I've had this question for a long time, I just never asked it cuz I forgot about it! Anyway, the skin that is RIGHT underneath my belly button..to right where my pubic hair starts, there's this bubble. It's like..my stomach ABOVE my belly button is all nice and flat, but undernath the belly button looks like I'm permanently bloated. I mean, ya can't tell when I wear jeans, but otherwise it's quite obvious (well, to me anyways). I was wondering, does anyone else have this?? My mom told me something like it's there because your body prepares for child-bearing..or something!

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that too!! And i think your mom is right!!

It's a pain in the butt isn't it? My stomach is alright i guess, until that little bump. It's like a spare tire or something And i've never seen any guy w/ a "belly" underneath their bellybutton so i think it's just extra "flubber" (hehe i love that word) for having babies and stuff.

If you're worried or self concious about it ... a good way to get rid of it is w/ crunches. Get a chair and sit on the floor w/ the seat facing you. Lie down and put your legs up so you're raised just a bit off the ground. This will work the spare tire muscles and maybe you'll lose some of it hehe At least that's what my PE teacher told us ... I've never really cared enough to try hehe

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crunches don't always help, I've got that lower-case letter "b" thing going, and I've been pretty darn buffed before-I could jog 5 miles, do 50 sit ups, and I once did 200 jumping jacks, and it never goes away. And it's not squishy fat, that's muscle down there! But I seem to look extra pregnant right before I get my period, so I've concluded it's my uterous. Plus I happen to know I have WAY over zealous and buffed uterine muscles. Doctors keep upping my dossage of prescription painkillers for my period, but it's not helping.
Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know what, guys? It's normal. It's the way women are built. Most women's lower abdomens aren't flat, and aren't built to be. It's just the way we're constructed. Crunches are great exercise and will help make your back and abdomen very strong -- which I recommend wholeheartedly, because it will strongly reduce your chances of injuring your back -- but they aren't going to erase Mother Nature. It's just a curve. Women have those, remember?

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown
Neophyte
Member # 571

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unknown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually..crunches hurt more than they help..my powerlifting/wrestling coach told us the best thing for abs is products such as the "ab-roller" but make sure its the one that lets u go forward as well as left and right..and trust me this is the best thing..now back to the subject..my g/f had that and she started doing the ab-roller thing and after a while it started to get less noticeable and now her stomach is flat all the way
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color me skeptical, but 80+ years of research into exercise physiology has still failed to prove that "spot exercises" do much, in most cases, to remove specific fat deposits.

Besides, is there something *wrong* with not having a completely flat belly? Is there something wrong with looking like a woman instead of a girl -- or a teenaged boy? Is there something grotesque about having a normal, healthy body? Because if there is, then that's where the problem is -- not in anyone's body, but in our perceptions.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know what my favorite stomach exercise is?

Lie back, put one hand where your ovaries are, and another just underneath your ribs, and envision all the organs in there that make your body work and visualize how healthy and wonderful and miraculous they are.

Then be thankful you have the muscle and flesh you to to cover them and keep them protected.

After all, it isn't how our bodies look that make them wonderful -- it is what your bodies DO.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am SO with you there Heather. I had a little time with my body the other day where I thanked different body parts for what they do and why I appreciate them. The body-mind listens and responds very well to positive reinforcement.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone cares to look, you will notice that all the women photographed in Playboy are carefully posed or draped to obscure that little bulge that they all have.

------------------
All paper clips are born free, but they live in chains

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candy_Chica
Activist
Member # 154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candy_Chica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't think you should get rid of that lil' bulge completely (cuz that's not natural), but I know an exercise that strengthens the muscle in that area so it won't be so out there. The military has done this for years, and I think most magazines have shown it at least once. Most people call it "scissor kicks". You lie on the floor, put your hands (one overlapping the other) under the small of your back. Then you move your legs up and down like scissors (alternate legs). Be sure not to let your heels touch the ground. Another great exercise in this position is putting both legs up in the air at a 45 degree angle and just holding them there, but it's a lot harder. Not only do these exercises strengthen your lower abs and your thighs, but I think after routinely doing them for a while they also relieve cramps, but I'm not totally certain. I hope I've been helpful.

------------------
Candy
Property of Freud's School of IDiots
No. 6785-4398-3655

Posts: 67 | From: El Paso, Texas, United States | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.