Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period and water (read to understand)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period and water (read to understand)
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey !
Here in Montreal there's a radio show every monday night with sexologists and psychologists where people can call/ask questions and I sometimes listen to it. I heard the other day that when a girl gets wet from water(shower, pool, sea) the period cycle somehow stops (meaning that blood no longer flows out of the body) and I'd like to know if someone knew about it. Plus, is it really true and if so, how does that work ?

Thanks !

- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... I've heard of this before too, but i don't have any solid facts about it.

From what i've heard (and i could very well be way out in left field w/ this), the water cleans out the blood from the walls of your vagina ... so you think it has stopped b/c it can't build up and all come out at once. If you were to go swimming w/ a tampon in or something you would see that you hadn't stopped bleeding just because you sat in water. Again ... i could be way off. This is my best guess ...

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Smurfy is right on the money!

Being in water does not magically stop anyone's period. It may wash away the visible blood, and getting water inside the vagina might mean that it takes a little longer for you to *see* the blood flow again, but no, it doesn't stop the flow or take it away or anything like that. Boy, if it did, would there ever be a lot of women going swimming all the time!

Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A vagina isn't a whirlpool jet. If you're in the bath for example, blood won't shoot out.
<-- graphic person

My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mophead, if vagina's were whirlpool jets could you imagine the size of a tampon and how many one would have to use before a leak?!?!?!

"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.