Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Bias Because Of Looks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bias Because Of Looks
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering what people thought of biasim (is that a word?) based on beuaty, and different experiences they've had. I found a pretty interesting web page all about beuaty and why we think the way we do. The main article is here: http://www.beautyworlds.com/humanbeauty.htm

I just thought it was a big coincidence because two beuaty-biased things have happened to me in like, the past few days.
Just some background info, I think I'm okay looking, my friend thinks I'm pretty and whenever I meet any of her friends she tells me that they say I'm pretty and she tells them I'm really pretty when I actually do my hair and stuff.
Numero uno: Me and two friends were outside of our spanish classroom making up a dance when a few guys stopped by to chat. I was wearing baggy pants and a baggy shirt. The guys said some pretty rude and gross things ("shake what your momma gave you baby" comes to mind) But none of it was directed towards me. It was all to my two friends who weren't wearing revealing clothing or anything - but their hair was done and they had on some makeup and were dressed in tighter clothes.

Numero Dos: The other day a lot of my extended family was over, including my cousin and her two sons (ages 1 and 3). I barely see them but kids don't really acknowledge me and ignore me if I try to play with them (plus they don't speak english) and it was especially true. I had to get ready for dance so I changed out of my baggy jeans and too-big sweatshirt and into my tight black jazz pants and a spaghetti strap leotard (if you don't know it kinda loods liek a one piece bathing suit, except it's for dance) and put my hair up. After that my little cousins were all over me. Smiling and hugging me, wanting to play with me and show me stuff around my own house.

And I thought about it and I realized that it happens all the time. We instantly like people who are beuatiful and we are instantly drawn to them. So what are your thoughts, experiences, etc about this?

------------------
I'm so sexy it's almost evil

"...a ready supply of playdough that anyone can create the stuff of their dreams from" - Mz S

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We definitely respond to looks. Its part of our languange. Its not just sexual either. People are saying Gore lost 10% of his votes because of his make-up during the first debate!

Also I've seen studies. I remember one guy when to a commuter train station, said he forgot his money and needed to buy his ticket home and asked people for spare change. When he wore a tie he got $30 in about an hour, without tie about $4.

The thing is standards of beauty are completely cultural. There are many examples in anthropology. I remember one African group that saw fat women as beautiful, the fatter the better. A man's duty to his wife was to make sure that she never lifted a finger to work and to fatten her up on butter from his cattle herds. The fatter (ie 'more beautiful') his wife, the more prestigious he was.

Just look at how standards of beauty have changed in Western culture. Most Renaissance belles would be considered overweight today. Looks are a cultural language.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 11-19-2000).]

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I was just going to post something like that. Interesting....
Anyway, I can relate. Recently, I dyed my hair again (pink, of course). And I noticed today, as I was walking down the street, I got a lot of weird looks from passers-by. Mostly from people 40+. I know pink hair isn't exactly normal, but these people weren't very discreet. I was expecting some if them to come over and ask "What the hell is wrong with you?!" from the way they were staring.
Now, a lot of my friends are also biased that you have to be punk to have pink hair. I'm anything BUT punk. I'm actually pretty preppy-Abercrombie, American Eagle. And I'm pretty shy and quiet, too. So, whenever I dye my hair, my friends tend to treat me differently. It's pretty annoying.

But it is a part of human nature to respond on a basis of looks. I'm drawn to people who are total opposites of me-loud, out going, etc. And I don't really like people who are 'scrubby', I just tend to avoid them. And I do feel bad about it-it bothers me to see how shallow I can be. Well, hopefully I can change, along with the rest of the world......

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bias. Interesting topic..

Well from my experiences, you are either pretty or intelligent, never both which really yanks my chain!
I generally suprise people, because (from what I have been told, and my wee bit of self esteem) I am attractive, and intelligent (don't mind admitting that!)..

They expect a bimbo, or someone who isn't all there, when in reality I can usually give them a shock by bringing up gain assisted superluminal light propagation or Einstein's theory of relativity!

I do notice though, the way you dress and present yourself is pretty much directly related to how you are treated within certain industries. When I am on my way home from work, in my dress suit, if I decide to stop and buy clothes/whatever, I get treated a lot better. Instant service.

On the weekends, when I'm in tatty jeans and a dogcollar, people ignore me in the shops, and give me cruddy service.

It's a bummer, but unfortunately, it's human nature and usually not something intentional. Ask any psych student!

entropie

------------------
honeylaser's site

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have to admit sometimes I purposly do stuff just to shock people. Usually I dress down a lot but when I go all out (like for homecoming and stuff) I look soo different and people are just like, "whoa!" Also, I'm pretty ditzy, I'll be the first to admit it. I can dress pretty weird too. On the first day of school my homeroom teacher was just giving me looks like, "I can tell you'll be trouble" and then he saw my schedule. I'm a freshman in all honors classes and I've already gotten two and a half high school credits. It shocks people and I like that in my first example. But in my second example it bothers me a lot. I mean, I realize what they're doing and I totally understand it, but it's just as bad as assuming girl's aren't good at math and guys are sex-crazed.

Brittany

------------------
I'm so sexy it's almost evil

"...a ready supply of playdough that anyone can create the stuff of their dreams from" - Mz S

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see here. I had my hair dyed pink, or actually "burgundy wine" this summer. It's normal for my school to look like you ate paint chips as a young child. With chains, collars...the whole nine yards. When I went to Cali, my parents were paranoid, claiming that my friend and I looked like prostitutes. So that was irritating.

entropie--you should meet a majority of my friends! I consider them all beautiful, and they are intelligent. Then again, so am I...not to brag...

I DON'T where dresses. They aren't me. I don't wear my hair down. So when I do, do that stuff, I get treated much differently. I *feel* different. It's kinda weird.

------------------
"If stupidity kills, then why aren't you dead? Obviously stupidity is a survival trait" -P.K. Dick

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way we dress is expressing something. We are usually aware of that but we often don't think that, if we say something, of course, we are likely to get a response from the people we are saying it to. Self-expression isn't just whistling in the wind, its a dialogue
Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a ditz (class clown type person), I am pretty good looking and I am very intellegent.

I guess if you looked at me you would figure I am a preppy, which really isn't true, I am pretty much a redneck that you'de think got raised in the middle middle of hickville, I hang out with goths and the "trouble people"
(who really aren't trouble, schools just not their 'thing') and a couple of prepps too.
And I am getting a 3.5 grade point average.

Make of it what you will.

------------------
~dont underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers~

~Duck tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and binds the world togther~

I'm ~You*Know*Who~ and I am a redneck. Anyone for mud?

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I've had some experiences like that. Actually last year I was about 5'4, didn't wear makeup, had lip length dark brown hair (straight I might add), and wore my old baggy clothes to school. Now I'm 5'6, same length hair except I put blonde highlights in it and I curl it, got contacts, wear makup, and brand name clothes. And for some reason people seem to respect me more and notice me more than they did last year. People talk to me for no reason and actually ask me out on dates. I guess that's my experience, although it seems pretty weird.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
"We have to pause and ask ourselves: how much clean air do we need?"~ Lee Iococca
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i find it funny that people draw certain conclusions about me based on my appearance, then i go completely contrary to them.

anyone ever notice the bias on diction? people judge you by the way that you talk -- bust out with the SAT vocabulary!

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raviolichic
Neophyte
Member # 2118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raviolichic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the age of 17, I've learned the hard way that beautiful is something that you need to see yourself as before others will.

Growing up I was always told by my parents and their friends how pretty I was going to be. It gave me this high expectation, because when you're little, you believe everything grownups tell you.

Needless to say, when I hit middle school-ish age and the kids didn't faint at my feet, I was crushed. I know it sounds conceited and such, but I really secretly figured I could get by the rest of my life on my looks if forced. Bzzzzz wrong answer, Sarah. At the time, reality was I was nothing special to look at, and I didn't feel special either (anymore).

For a couple of years I literally shrunk back into the shadows of my peers. I didn't want to be seen or heard for fear of being teased or just plain hated. Looking back now there was nothing overtly bad about me, but hindsight is always twenty twenty.

I'm a senior in high school this year and since last September, I've changed so much. I've come to realize (I don't quite know how, and mind you it didn't happen overnight) that the color of my hair or the name tag inside my shirt doesn't change who I am. It doesn't change who anybody else is inside, either. There are several females in my town who are classic bombshell beauties that are the meanest you-know-what's anybody could ever imagine! And to me, those girls are ugly, in the purest sense of the word. I don't care how much they weight or how cute their new color contacts are. If I tried hard enough, I could look like them too, but that wouldn't make me any more beautiful. Beauty comes from the inside. When I'm comfortable with what I'm wearing and how I look, other people are too. If they think I like the way I look, they're right. I know what my best qualities are both physical and mental, and I'm not afraid to flaunt the latter more than the former!

------------------
~*!Raviolichic!*~

Posts: 14 | From: Whitehall, PA, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great post, ravioli. (yum, ravioli, maybe i'll hit up the pasta place on telegraph later...)

anyway, you've hit it right on the nose. no amount of plastic surgery in the world can hold anyone up forever. to quote radiohead, "gravity always wins."

so when it all goes, you better hope you've got smarts to back you up. i wonder about people like Britney Spears -- she's not going to cute forever, ya know.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Hey ravioli. What you just told us about is called wisdom. congrats! Not many people of any age figure that out for themselves. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Raviolichic
Neophyte
Member # 2118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raviolichic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww! You guys make me feel so welcome. Thanks!

------------------
~*!Raviolichic!*~

Posts: 14 | From: Whitehall, PA, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.