Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Sex Education Survey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Education Survey
Xena59579
Neophyte
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xena59579     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone!
I hope you don't mind me asking you all a few questions, it's for my college paper. I chose to do Sex Education in High Schools and how they need to be improved. Some high schools don't teach anything 'til 10th grade (or later) or they teach abstinence only.
1. Were you taught the facts or abstinence?
2. What is your opinion on schools teaching abstinence? the facts?
3. Do you think if teens were taught the facts sooner, it would help their judgement?
4. If you were taught abstinence (or not until a later age the facts), if you would have learned about sex issues before being sexually active, would you have made changes in your life or any situations you may have encountered.

I hope you don't mind this but this really hit home when I was watching this MTV special about sex laws and education.

Posts: 6 | From: Boothwyn, PA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents were always open with me about sex and my mum gave me all the facts about sex. I'm 18 and haven't had sex yet, not because I haven't had the opportunity but because I don't want to have sex till I feel comfortable and love the person I'm doing it with.
I think that being informed simply helped me to make the right decision for me. I know that I've never felt scared about anything when it comes to sex and I know what I want and what my limits are. I think that being informed is never a mistake and being able to be open with my parents is wonderful because I know that I can go to them with any questions or problems.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Were you taught the facts or abstinence? Oh yes, went to a Catholic High School!

2. What is your opinion on schools teaching abstinence? the facts? I think that abstinence should be taught in schools in 9th grade and throughout actually, just to keep reminding us you HAVE to be careful. In my senior year we watched a video on safe sex, abstinence, and STD's and it scared me soooo much! Everyone admitted that if they had been shown the video earlier they would have made different decisions about having sex. It explained in great detail not only the symptoms of STD's but the some of the lasting effects, very scary stuff.

3. Do you think if teens were taught the facts sooner, it would help their judgement? Yes, read above!

4. If you were taught abstinence (or not until a later age the facts), if you would have learned about sex issues before being sexually active, would you have made changes in your life or any situations you may have encountered? Yes, I would have been A LOT more careful. I was not aware of how dangerous some common STD's could be when I first started having sex.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."

~Alisons Life~

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Oh dear, in fifth grade we watched videos about menstration and such and about how when you're older you should have safe sex, but besides that sentance ("when you're older you should have safe sex") we weren't told anything about sex at all. In eighth grade my teacher decided to skip over the chapter about sex and std's (but I know the other classes had them, I'm not sure how good it was) and we have yet to cover sex/std's in health in ninth grade.

But my mom told me just about everything in fourth grade so it didn't matter anyway.

2. Schools should teach the facts and leave religion and abstinence out. People come to scarleteen all the time absolutely scared about sex and masterbating and such because that's what they've been taught. It's absolutely horrible what some of these teens think, and it's absolutely horrible when I have to explain simple things to my friend (ie: you *must* use a condom for oral sex)

3. Using the above example, my friend would have used a condom if someone had simply told her it wasn't safe not to! I think from a young age (like fifth grade) we need to start telling children everything, and then they need to be reminded every now and then. Perhaps it wouldn't help their judgement (since everyone needs to decide for themselves what they think about sex) but it would help them be safer.

4. I was never taught abstinence. My mom explained the facts to me and answered any questions I had. If I were taught abstinence I don't know if it would change how I feel today, but I doubt it. I was taught to learn everything I could about something and then making my own decision about it.

Hope I helped, good luck with your project!

------------------
I'm the good girl that everyone thinks is a bad girl pretending to be a good girl :D

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

in school? no. my parents opted to keep me out of sex education.

i would like to see heavy promotion of abstinance because i don't see sex as being a necessity in any teenager's life, but who's gonna stop 'em? in light of that, they also need to be informed. trouble is, too many teenagers shrug sex (and drug) education off as "lame" and inane. it's hard to teach people when that mentality creates a barrier between them and information that could possibly save their lives.

3. Do you think if teens were taught the facts sooner, it would help their judgement?

if they learn enough about sex, diseases, contraception and abstinance, it can be a positive influence on their behavior. but you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

4. If you were taught abstinence (or not until a later age the facts), if you would have learned about sex issues before being sexually active, would you have made changes in your life or any situations you may have encountered.

i learned enough about sex and waited until i was emotionally mature enough to decide to have sex. i would not change any of the decisions i have made because i feel that they were the right ones for me.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. We were taught abstinence. It was a Baptist school...so if you can call "if you have sex before marriage, you're going to hell" teaching abstinence, then yeah, we were taught abstinence. My mom made sure I knew what I needed to know though. (*Note* I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with that religion or school, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs)

2. I think it's a good idea to teach abstinence, but I think it should be taught for legetimate reasons...like not getting pregnant, or getting sick. And I also think that for older kids, like juniors and seniors, they should present other options as far as birth control goes.

3. I think that entirely depends on the person. Some people are going to do it no matter what you tell them, some people are not going to do it, no matter what you tell them. But I think that being informed about all the options is always a better idea.

4. Well, as far as changing anything goes, no. I knew about sex early on because my mom was a nurse, and believes in making sure that I knew the facts of life. I'm still a virgin, and I don't regret that. But I choose to be that way, not because I think I'd go to hell if I wasn't, but because I am not emotionally ready to deal with the kind of committment that I feel would have to accompany a sexual relationship for me. I don't believe in having casual sex, and for me, choosing not to have sex, just assures that a pregnancy, or a disease will not get in the way of my goals or my morals.

I hope all that made sense.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 03 November 2000).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sephira
Neophyte
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sephira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I was *always* taught the facts, both at junior school and senior school

I believe they should teach the facts, because when these people decide for themselves that they don't want to abstain, then they aren't going to know an awful lot, and you know what some guys are like, they'll do anything to get a pretty girl in bed

Nope. I was taught the facts all through my life, by my parents as well as the school, and I lost my virginity when I was DRUNK, aged 14. Extremely foolish of me. I went to sleep with the guy I lost my virginity to for a year, and after him, there was another guy, but that only happened once. I thought I knew it all, and I thought I was cool and grown up. I really regret it now, really REALLY regret it. I wish I'd waited until I'd met my current boyfriend, because for one I'm 16, and I love him very much, and now I have a sense of what love actually is, but there's no point being sad about something you can't change. You just have to learn from your mistakes

I'm not sure about this one. I think if I'd been told the facts, but ALSO taught abstenance, then I'd probably only have lost my virginity quite recently. But, you can't change what you've already done

Posts: 10 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My school system starts in the fifth grade. Girls get the basics on periods, pregnancy and conticeptives. The guys get their own shindig. Follow up in the seventh grade and ninth grade with up-to-date info. Plus my parents were always open with me. I knew about where babies came from when my friends still thought it was the stork.
Some schools could obviously do a much better job. The classes I've had were done well. My teachers were straight forward. No pet names-it was straight facts.
I can't answer this one. Many of my friends may have "lost" virginity, but they did so in a responsible manner. Always protection.
I was taught abstinence. My mom made a mistake as a young girl. She doesn't dwell on that. She doesn't want it happening to me. She has always advised waiting till I am married. As it is, I am still waiting.

------------------
After seven months without snow, desperation overrides common sense.

Snow is the worlds security blanket. It makes it serene, quiet and beautiful.

"Close your eyes for they see only the truth and the truth is not what you want to see."

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xena59579
Neophyte
Member # 1833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xena59579     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone!
Thx for your help so far! I figured, why not answer the questions myself.

The facts but not until the middle of tenth grade.

2. What is your opinion on schools teaching abstinence? the facts? I think schools should teach the facts but I think showing a video on STDs that scared someone on the forum, that would be great. The facts to me can help keep abstinence, but I don't think it's right to go "You'll go to Hell if you have sex before marriage". I think you shouldn't have sex until you're ready, and I didn't have sex until I was ready.

3. Do you think if teens were taught the facts sooner, it would help their judgement? I think it would. For schools to not teach teens about STDs is wrong in my opinion.
4. If you were taught abstinence (or not until a later age the facts), if you would have learned about sex issues before being sexually active, would you have made changes in your life or any situations you may have encountered. To be completely honest, yes. Unfortunatley, I can't change the past but in 10th grade (before sex ed) I was pressured into giving a guy oral sex. If I would have known the 'dangers', I think I could have developed a bigger backbone, if that makes sense. Luckily, I'm fine but now I know to use a condom for oral sex.

Posts: 6 | From: Boothwyn, PA USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xena, when I get more than 2 minutes together I'll answer your questions, but answer me this: Will your prof really accept anonymous testimony gathered over the internet for your data? Just out of curiosity...

[edited later:]I'm sorry, I didn't mean that to sound rude - I just know that my psych profs would jump all over me for unverifiable data.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/ .

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 07 November 2000).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoupPrincess
Activist
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoupPrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I was taught the facts with a huge emphasis on absitenece in the middle of 10th grade, in health class. We had a woman with AIDS come in to talk to the class, she was extremely sick, looked like a walking skeleton but was an exellent public speaker. She taught us a bit about the importance of using condoms, but mostly used that information to point out that they were not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy or STDs. It scared the poop out of me! The main theme was that we should never have sex unless we wanted to contract a deadly disease. We had a teen mom come in to talk to us for the same reason. Lots of scare tactics at my school.

2. I think that more schools should bring in guest speakers the way my school did. It is an effective way of making the message seem more real to students. It also depends on what you mean by "the facts." Do you mean the use of condoms and other forms of birth control? I learned a lot of "facts" in high school about anatomy and biology that were completely useless in dealing with sexual issues, ie where the vas deferens and seminiferous tubuals are. I believe that practical knowledge for how teens can deal is more important than memorizing anatomy.

3. I think that a lot of people had already had sex by the time we were 16 and had that the education described above came a bit late. However, better late than never in my opinion.

4. I think that my school's sex education changed my outlook somewhat, but it didnt stop me from having sex :P abstinence education had a limited amount of effectiveness.

Posts: 47 | From: Bloomington IL (the boringest place on earth) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xena59579
Neophyte
Member # 1833

Hey Lemming,
Oh, our prof doesn't really care how we get our info as long as it's effective. I'm planning on making statistics out of the data and such.

I think what made me do this topic was the fact that if I was taught a little sooner the facts (meaning STDs other than HIV & AIDs), that I could have altered something in my past. My best friend feels the same way (we went to the same high school). I don't think there is nothing wrong for schools to teach the facts & abstinence to the point where it's like "it's better to wait 'til marriage" but I think when schools go "if you have sex before marriage, you'll go to Hell" is straight up wrong.

My boyfriend told me his parents didn't really talk to him about it, they just gave him a book that had facts and such about sex. I thought that was different.

Jodi

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is pretty cool And since i love to give my opinions on stuff, it looks like you're in luck chickie hehe

In my school, we were taught the facts, starting in gr 6. It was just my luck that my gym class ended up being a split 6/7 AND co ed class, so we never covered sex and reproduction stuff. *But*, the rest of the school did. It was alright though, because i never learned anything in school that my mom hadn't told me already
I think schools should be teaching the facts only. As soon as you tell a teenager/kid not to do something, what is the first thing they want to do? So if you teach them the facts, they can make their own decision and they'll never be able to say they didn't know.
YES! I think sex ed should start in grade 1. And no, i'm not kidding. Just little stuff like maybe the concept that babies start in mommy's tummy. Then when they start asking questions, you can gage what to tell them by how curious and mature they are. I still feel that it's partly the parents repsonsibility to teach their kids about sex ... but that's not the point is it?
Nope ... I wouldn't have changed everything. I think i know pretty much all there is too know about safe sex and how a decision like that can change your life and i wouldn't change a thing. I'm 16 and i've just recently become sexually active. My mom knows and i'm really open w/ her about all of it ... So i wouldn't change a thing!

~Hollie

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.