Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » super sensitive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: super sensitive
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my skin is SUPER DUPER sensitive...i have scratches on my legs and arms, and it's from scratching myself @ night and i don't even realize it. if anyone else has really sensitive skin, can you recommend something to help it? Thanks!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first and foremost: trim your nails really short. i scratch at night, too, and this is the only thing that keeps me from peeling myself like a potato.

avoid scented and perfumed products. that means you have to be careful when it comes to lotions. the expensive girly lotions can be the worst for you. personally, i prefer baby lotions because they are milder. same goes for soaps! fancy soaps can be just as irritating as the really cheap stuff, if not worse.

wear cotton. polyester and wool can be a total nightmare.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sephira
Neophyte
Member # 1822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sephira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop Girl is right. You should definatley avoid perfumed products, and scratching will make it worse

To me it sounds like you have a mild case of Eczema. My mum has this, and it's nothing to be ashamed about, it sometimes causes her to break out when the weather gets bad too, bless her, and she's 38!

A good idea would be to invest in a good exfoliater to help your skin, but make sure it's not perfumed again! Also, I'd suggest looking for some pH balanced products, this might also help your skin. If you have an itchy face, and it's a bit red and sore, don't put make up on it, this will aggrevate it

A trip to the doctor would probably help too, to see if you might be allergic to something, you never know!

Posts: 10 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My skin can be pretty sensitive too, to the point where my hands chap so badly in the winter they crack open, but there are probably things you can do to help yourself.
1. Stop shaving when you don't have to, it dries out your legs.
2. Yeah, definitely avoid scented products. I use unscented Dove soap with pretty good results, and find that vegetable shortening (the stuff meant for cooking, sold in blocks) is the best stuff for moisturising. Unscented, no animal products, and highly effective.
3. Exfoliation can be good, but always moisturise afterwards. I used a mixture of creamed coconut (in the ethnic section, comes in little solid blocks) and sugar (gentle, effective, and cheap) mixed with a bit of water instead of the purchased goo. It's much kinder to skin.
4. And keep covered in the winter. Invest in good cotton or other thick tights if you wear skirts, thick gloves, and a scarf for your face and ears. And slicking something greay on your lips before you go out wouldn't hurt either.
5. And disregard any standard advice in teen magazines. These things are written for people with the exact opposite of your problem!
Actually, maybe the simplest thing you could do would be to get a pair of thin cotton gloves from a drugstore (meant to keep lotion on your hands while you sleep), and use them for that purpose.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks a lot guys for your awesome advice

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have highly sensitive skin (blame it on the irish side of my family).

What I've been using for some time that I really like are unscented, organic body lotions with collodial oatmeal, which is a skin-soother that makes me less sensitive, seems to protect again irritants, and if I get a little blotchy, it clears it right up.

The one I like best is made by Nature's Gate, and I get it at my local health food store.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My skin is a bit sensitive too. I just get a lot of bruises instead of scratches. I do get a lot of razor burn though. For that, I suggest using shaving cream, and lots of it! And a sharp razor; not dull. For the bruises, it's just because I don't eat right. That may help you too, if you don't already. I guess it all depends on the person.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually used to have the same problem...I still do sometimes. I've eczema since I was very young. What I've found helps the most is moisturizing to the extreme (I personally would recommend Cetaphil soaps and moisturizers, not heavy enough to bother even the most sensitive skin, and there is hardly anything in there that you're likely to be allergic to). Also, you might consider seeing a dermatologist. I saw one and she perscribed an allergy medicine to cut down on the histimine that makes me itch.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 07 November 2000).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.