Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » itchy itchy legs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: itchy itchy legs
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My legs won't stop itching! I know that it's colder and drier here than I'm used to, but I've been putting lotion on them and they still itch.

I tried changing lotion, too, to make sure I wasn't allergic to the lotion, and I STILL itch. I exfoliated in the shower, and they're still itchy.

This ain't no mild tinglyness, either - this is "it's hard to concentrate on doing anything besides itching" itchiness.

bleh. anyone got any clue as to what this could be? I hadn't just shaved or anything...so it's not that..

~confused itchy lemming

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
think you might be having an allergic reaction to anything in your environment? food?

i've had the kind of itching that you just drag yourself across a rug and get carpet burn, just to get rid of the itch. not fun. i also get itchy if i'm too warm in bed. easily remedied by throwing off the covers.

could be that you need a little calamine lotion. if that doesn't work, trim your claws so you can't scratch yourself. then run cold water on your legs.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My advice, after several years with a very dry-skinned SO whose legs get similarly itchy during the wintertime:

Wash/shower as infrequently as you can possibly get away with (it dries out your skin). If possible, get a water filter for your showerhead and/or tub water that will take out chlorine, etc.

After you shower, and before you go to bed, put on an actual OIL, not lotion (perfumes and alcohols in lotions can sometimes cause itching if your skin is dry and sensitive). Coconut oil is cheap, easy to find in a health food store, and smells nummy. Shea butter is even better, but a bit pricey. Plain cocoa butter is fine, too. Put on a pair of long johns or leggings over it to keep the oil against your skin while you sleep.

If the itching gets really intense, a 1% hydrocortisone cream (available over the counter in a drugstore) should help, but BEWARE of long-term cortisone cream use, as it can further thin and weaken your skin.

Drink LOTS of WATER.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do u ever get red blotchy spots on ur legs?
I get those once in a while, and its because I have a skin condition called eczema (sp?). its nothing serious, but i get really really really dry skin. i have a medicated moisture lotion (prescription only) for it.

another thing, if u have dry skin DONT EXFOLIATE, itll only make things worse.

so, overall, just go see a doctor

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.