Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » to all those with insicurities:)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: to all those with insicurities:)
rusty_pup
Neophyte
Member # 443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rusty_pup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello.
alright, i don't even know why i'm writing this but i've read atleast 20 posts here by people who say things like "my nipples are abnormally big" or "i've got stretch marks that look terrible!" or "my boobs are to small"
all i wanted to say is, my nipples are 2/3 the size of my boobs, everyone has stretch marks because at some point their boobs HAD to grow! and hey, i ain't the bustiest chick in the world, but there's no such thing, who cares if they're big?! who cares if they're small?! all that matters is that they're yours!
they're part of what makes you a women! (and a great one!)
you should love 'em no matter what sort of imperfections you think they may have because they are as original as you!

-rusty_pup

Posts: 14 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rusty I totally agree. You know, a lot of it is the media and a lot of it is our own lives. I used to always look at myself in our mirror. It's at the end of the hallway, so its always there when I put on my shoes. It's floorlength so it was a "make sure my shirt is on right side out" kind of check. But I have to say whenever I wore shorts I looked at my legs. I loved my legs I thought they were the greatest legs ever. Okay not the greatest but pretty damn nice. Eventually my mom noticed this and said, "Brittany I am so sorry you have my legs, they're so ugly and straight. Let's just hope the rest of your body doesn't take after me" and after that I slowly loved my legs less and less.

I loved my tummy until someone else was complaining about their tummy. When I'm by myself around mirrors for a long time I love the way I look. I love the way my eyes sparkle, I love the shade of my skin, I love my legs and my breasts and everything about me (besides the scars on my left wrist of course). But then it changes as I talk to people more.

So love your body

Brittany

------------------
Dude, just smile and pass the zen margaritas...

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go through various phases of insecurities about my body. As I get older I seem to be happier and happier. I am getting a few rinkles around the eyes and I am not freaking out. The marks on my body are there because I earned them. My stretch marks because I have grown, the wrinkles because I have smiled and frowned.

There are soemthings about my body that don't please me. Some people have made comments about them and it bothered me and made me self consious about my "flaws:. I can't really do much to change them except radical surgery which will leave me poorer and probably with new scars or "flaws". I will take the ones I already know and have experience with -merci beaucoup.

Thankfully, it does seem to be true that as you get older many people seem to care less about what others think of them. I am getting there now (age 29) and when I look at my 60 year old mother she is oozing that attitude.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Miz Scarlet has said something about this several times, but I can't help but agree: I love my scars, my chicken pox scars, little places where the world (and sometimes, directly, me) marked my body - I love my lover's scars. I don't know what it is exactly, but I do. something about history, and skin that's lived in - imperfections that make bodies more perfect...

and my mother's always chided my about my scarred-up legs and back (cutting and mosquito bites, and acne, respectively), and telling me to put cocoa butter on them...once, for an entire month, I put cocoa butter on my back and legs and sat outside every afternoon for 10 minutes. it "helped," a bit, but I lost my favorite scar, and probably exascerbated any skin cancer risk...

------------------
~lemming

"This was a Pizza Hut, now it's all covered in daisies..." ~Talking Heads, in "Nothing But Flowers"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like my body. it's mine

to be "perfect" requires cutting, stitching, airbrusing, and globs of silicone and collagen. then you're not exactly yourself, now are you?

the naked people were out this weekend, wandering the streets of berkeley. they seemed like a happy lot...

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the naked people?? You have to tell us about that...

------------------
Dude, just smile and pass the zen margaritas...

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh lord, berkeley is notorious for having naked people wandering around. the penalty for public nudity is about equivalent to jaywalking.

there used to be a student on campus who went to all his classes naked. they called him (quite appropriately) "the Naked Guy." I think he graduated before I got here, though.

Anyway, now we've got a bunch of aging hippies in this group called the Explicit Players. They perform plays and stuff all naked. They held a "Mock City Council Meeting" in their birthday suits. And they like to parade around town naked. Especially around People's Park. It's a big spectacle.

anyway, they picked sunday to have their Naked Day.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naked day. . .that's great! I've only been to Berkeley once, but it sounds like my kind of place I wish they had naked day in New York, I'd be all over that! At my sleepaway camp we have "Naked Night" every once in a while where the whole bunk just gets naked and hangs out, but it is only girls and only indoors.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my body. It's mine. I have a special scar right between my boobs-only the ones I love know its their (i.e. my boyfriend and my best friend). I have an awesome scare on my leg. I fell on a plastic planter. My stretch marks are mine. I've found kool patterns in them. I used to hate em...along with the rest of my body. But some people have that special way of making you see how beautiful you really are. And they are very few and far between...Fortunatly, I know quite a few.

------------------
Life is short, so let me play!

And play I shall...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silver_chick
Neophyte
Member # 890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver_chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rusty my friend, you are absolutley right! I dont know why anyone complains about their body shape. Not just about the boob issue, but about everything. We all have slight "imperfections", but then again the "perfect" figure varies in different societies and cultures. Forget the negative bits about yourself and focus on the positive ones.
=o)
hhehe, ol' smiley there aint perfect, but he's even cuter with his over-sized nose!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everybody's free!!!!....so act like it!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stupid Male
Neophyte
Member # 10690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stupid Male     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i am a guy and I am gonna say this. Guys dont really care how big a girls breasts are.

Well thats it.

------------------
Cheers,

Posts: 6 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some guys don't, some do, and some have different priorities altogether. Stating that one group feels a certain way about something tends ro be pretty reisky and inaccurate, but I would consider it safe to say that if someone really cares about you your physical appearance isn't what's most important to them.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeahitsred
Neophyte
Member # 10700

Icon 12 posted      Profile for yeahitsred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My body has changed a lot through the years. For instance, as soon as I turned eighteen I was at a teeny petite size 4 and ballooned up to a 12. My eye sight started getting progessively worse and I got glasses by the time I turned 19. All this in one year completely horrified me and I was NOT comfortable with myself because, well...this wasn't the me i knew.

My grandmother came out to visit from Puerto Rico and she says to me in her thick accent "Oh! Granddaughter, you are a vwoman now! You look so beautiful!" I haven't second guessed my body type since then.

My boyfriend who I've been with since I was 15 says I rock no matter what I look like.

Also, you insecure boob girls out there! I grew up with cousins who had HUGE boobs and teeny bodies. One cousin weighs 102 lbs., 5'4 and she has 34 DD boobs....who would want that? At least when I'm carded, my face gets carded and not my breasts. When people talk to me, they look me in the face and not down my shirt.
But you know something? I love me curly red hair, I have a great mouth, cute ankles, freckles on my nose and a memorable laugh. My skin is soft, I'm strong and healthy, and I always smell good. I think I'm pretty hot and so does a lot of people...but it's all me and that's COOL with me.

No one can stop you from feeling bad about your physical flaws but 10 times out of 10, your virtues totally outnumber your shortcomings.

Posts: 5 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmnipotentLover
Neophyte
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OmnipotentLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i was younger...i rembered getting up in the morning and cursing the friggin birthmark on my face. i mean its big and its brown and its on the left side of my face for all the world to see. i'd sigh to myself and wish it would go away....as i got older i realized that i liked it. i mean probably nobody else in the world has this. its my birthmark...its a signal to all the world that i once i was all grown up i'd wreak havoc. not really. and lately i've been discovering all these funny things i can do. i have odd little dimples in my shoulder...and i have birthmarks in other umm..private places. but nobody has them but me. you should be proud of your so-called imperfections..little do you know..somebody probably loves you because u aren't perfect.

------------------
what if my star is not to come? will my dreams fade to nothing? when the horizon darkens most...we all need to believe there is hope!!

Posts: 33 | From: A place where dreams end | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just a reminder -- please don't lecture on positive body image by knocking a different body type than yours -- e.g., "who would want such big boobs? -- because you really can develop and encourage positivity better for EVERYONE by not approaching it that way.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joisineedofhelp
Neophyte
Member # 18731

Icon 14 posted      Profile for joisineedofhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is actually pretty ironic.
my girlriend has been really insecure about how smal her breas are. To tell you thu truth i dont care that there small. there hers and i love them just like i love her. i wish there was a way i could get that across to her. personaly (from my point of veiw) it doesnt matter how your breast look,how big they are, or anthing else about them. just as long as your secure with them your self. I can understand if this isnt the exact response you were expcting (being that im guy and i dont have breast) but its somethin i thought id share.

Posts: 5 | From: pasadena,texas,Untited States | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.