Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » epilepsy and other neurological disorders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: epilepsy and other neurological disorders
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone else on these boards has a neurological problem which affects their relationships?

I have complex partial epilepsy and manic depression, both of which I am being treated for. I have found that men treat me differently because of this, sometimes treating me like and invalid, or like I am "slow in the head"

I also find that the medication which I am on affects the way that I approach sex. Sometimes orgasm can trigger a seizure.. and my medication (prozac and tegretol) makes me constantly horny! (Most people find it lowers their libidos).

Does anyone want to discuss this or share their experiences?

entropie

------------------
***DISCLAIMER*** All advice received from me should be used at YOUR OWN RISK. I am in no way responsible for the advice that I give. I only give my opinions to the situation. It is up to you to do what you feel is the right thing.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Entropie --

Interesting reaction to Prozac. I have heard of a few folks having your horniness response to Tegretol, though, so I don't think you're alone there.

I think this is a great topic. Many of us have -- either temporarily or permanently -- various conditions we exist under in our bodies that make sexuality a particularly complex issue in various ways. Disabilities and sex are also a really complicated topic, and the way that many people "desexualize" people who are different, whether they are older, a different race, have a disability or a medical condition, or whatever, is really troublesome.

I'll be interested to hear what people think about this stuff!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't really the type of disorder you're talking about, but when I was 13 I started having troubles running and doing other physical activites. This was extremely hard for me to deal with, because I'm a dancer. My mother took me to a docter when the pain started to become unbearable for me. After checking my flexiblity and taking some blood tests, I found out that I had Rheumetoid Arthritis. I didn't really think too much of it at the time, because my docter said that since it was Juvenile arthritis, I had a chance to grow out of it as long as I took my meds and got some physical therapy. Well, I'm 18 now and it's only gotten worse. At first I only had it in my index finger and ankle, but now it's spread to my knees, hips, and lower back. I lost about 25% of my flexibility.

Whenever someone finds out about my arthritis, they look at me funny. Like, "Isn't that just supposed to be in old people?" Certain positions in love-making are hard for me because of the arthritis in my hips, so men will often get frustrated and say nasty things about it, or they'll accuse me of lying about having it "Because only old people have arthritis" and "You're just saying that as an excuse not to have sex with me." Well, they can go to Hell for all I care.

I guess I didn't really stay on the topic, so I'll sum up what I was trying to get out.

People treat me differently when they find out I have arthritis, especially when it comes to sex. I hate it when a person is afraid to hold my hand because they 'might hurt me'. I hate it when someone offers to carry me just because we've been walking a lot. If I wanted help, I'd ask for it.

Ack.

J.

------------------
"Her laugh turned to a moan at the first ripple in her bones.
She tensed her thighs and abdomen to will the change on, and
clutched the night air like a lover as her fingers lengthened
and her nails sprouted...The night, she thought, the sweet night"

Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, no worries.. maybe the title of this thread should be physical and neurological problems which affect your love life

Since I was diagnosed with both disorders, I have cut down my meds so that I am taking approx. 1/5 of what I should be taking. I can't handle it otherwise, I just fall asleep everywhere, no matter what

Hopefully there will be a chance for surgery at some stage, medication is the worst thing about having epilepsy and depression..

entropie

------------------
***DISCLAIMER*** All advice received from me should be used at YOUR OWN RISK. I am in no way responsible for the advice that I give. I only give my opinions to the situation. It is up to you to do what you feel is the right thing.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Babybuttercup22
Neophyte
Member # 4339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Babybuttercup22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildChica:

Whenever someone finds out about my arthritis, they look at me funny. Like, "Isn't that just supposed to be in old people?"

I know what you mean. I am extremely young(not even a freshmen) and i have arthritus in all my toes both my feet my ankles and knees. People treat me the same way until they realize I am normal as long as like the barametricpreasure is up.

------------------
From the keyboar of "The Powerpuff Princess a.k.a Baby Buttercup"

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although this topic doesn't have many responses, I think its an important one to read, as most of us will probably come across people who have disorders such as epilepsy in our lives, and being aware of them is important.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maverickthree
Neophyte
Member # 10448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maverickthree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by entropie:
I was wondering if anyone else on these boards has a neurological problem which affects their relationships?

I have complex partial epilepsy and manic depression, both of which I am being treated for. I have found that men treat me differently because of this, sometimes treating me like and invalid, or like I am "slow in the head"

I also find that the medication which I am on affects the way that I approach sex. Sometimes orgasm can trigger a seizure.. and my medication (prozac and tegretol) makes me constantly horny! (Most people find it lowers their libidos).

Does anyone want to discuss this or share their experiences?

entropie

Would be interested in discussing this with
you as I also suffer from neurological pro-
blems. Also want to know what/where Aotearoa
is?!!

(edited to remove email address)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 11-16-2002).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
posting your email isn't really approved of here.... it's a safety issue.

But yeah, me and the psych are experimenting with me and different antidepressants, trying to find the right dose/combo/drug. the first one i tried made me violently suicidal type, and the second has no effect whatsoever. we shall see.
It puts a lot of stress on my significant other though, because this is something he has no say at all over. He can just sit and watch the consequences. and heck knows what it'll do to my sex life

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kandie
Activist
Member # 7542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kandie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have bi polar which is mainly the same as manic depression, when I was diagonesd with this I was treated much different to as If I were mentally challenge. People that don't understand are illnesses tend to intrept them alot differently unless they are educated about....it Most people don't understand that what we have isn't are fault and that it's a chemical inbalance in the brain. What you sed about prozac caught me!.. for me I do tend to become like that aswell but with out the epilespsy...it could possibly be that the adrenal gland is becoming over welmed too...
Posts: 79 | From: CaNaDa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ButtercupSweetheart
Neophyte
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ButtercupSweetheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
entropie,
I have petite mal seizures, and as a child guys treated me rather differently as well. sometiems people see things, in contact with the brain particulary something not like thiers that they dont understand as irregular or retarded or slow. I was placed into the category learning disabled because of my seizures. Guys will always treat girls the way they feel they should be treated on their circumstances unless they were raised the right way lol. My bf knows I have epilepsy and he love me no less, in fact he loves me more. As for orgasms giving you a seizure I have never heard of that or ecpierienced that ever, maybey it has something to do with your medication because your body is tensiong or feels stressed and that can trigger seizure activity. it could be abunch of things. Nice to knw theres another liek myself though out here on this board lol

Posts: 22 | From: LA, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BahliRainbowchilde
Neophyte
Member # 10675

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BahliRainbowchilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that I may have petit mal seizures, or something similar. Sometimes I just feel all tingly and weird, my eyes close or flutter, and sometimes I twitch or my head tilts or jerks backward, almost like I'm looking up at something. It happened around my SO and he said that my eyes rolled back in my head. I tried to tell my mother, but she dismissed it, and won't take me to the doctor. I don't know why, but she refuses to hear of it. I can deal for now, but I'm just hoping that things don't get worse before I'm 18 and can seek medical attn. on my own behalf. Entropie, I've found that orgasm can make things worse for me, and the fits or whatever the heck they are become more frequent for a little while afterward.

Just my $0.02.

*Bahli

------------------
Black belts can kick it
like nobody else.

Fear not the rainbow, nor yet the darkness within.

Posts: 11 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bahli, - and i am sure you know that already- please seek out medical attention as soon as possible, no matter whether your mom supports you or not, no matter whether you are already 18 or not. seeing a doctor about these neurological problems is not an option, it is a MUST.

this sounds very worrisome, and you should discuss this with a health care professional asap. go to your gp yourself or find a local free clinic - just make sure you see someone, soon.

i urge you not to wait until your birthday: don't "deal with this for now" - you need this to be looked at, immediately.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

I agree wholeheartedly with Alaska. I too, was in a situation similar to yours, and I understand how difficult it can be to get people to listen to you. After I had a grand mal seizure, my mother took me to the doctor, but even though I insisted things were not right, she didn't want to take me for a checkup, and I dealt with it by myself for years before getting up the courage to have myself checked.

Having a name and an answer for what I had been experiencing made things a whole lot easier. When I understood there were support groups and medications which could help me, I de-stressed and immediately felt better.

Most forms of epilepsy are entirely treatable, and severe cases can be managed by minor surgery, so you need to see a doctor and/or neurologist as soon as possible. Epilepsy can be dangerous to you (eg if you were bathing and had a seizure) and others (eg driving a car), so it is in your best interests to get looked at.

Epilepsy is not a diability, and with treatment it need not cause you problems.

Good luck

natalie152
Neophyte
Member # 10108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for natalie152     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I was wondering, what would happen if I went to the doctor and said I think I might be depressed? Would he take me seriously? I mean, after all, I'm on 20, and although Im a psych major, and know all about depression, i can't diagnose myself, but what will they do to diagnose me?

I hate going to the doctor. I like to know what they'll do before i go there.

Anyway, thanks
Natalie

Posts: 20 | From: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you're talking about seeing your regular doctor...as in a doctor at a walk-in clinic, or your family doctor, then they will probably ask you a few questions, and then refer you to a psychologist, counselor, or psychiatrist.

If you're seeing a psychologist, counselor, or psychiatrist, then your first visit will probably just be full of questions. They may also take your weight, height, and blood pressure. They'll probably ask you for a family history (what diseases - mental or physical - run in your family). Then they'll ask you questions trying to determine a diagnosis or what particular issues you might feel you want to work on. The questions during the first visit may seem abrupt or random, but they are necessary to determine what kind of care you need. Depending on what they feel the problem might be, they might order some blood tests, or an MRI (both of those possibilities are much much less likely...costly tests are only generally ordered if there is a real concern that they might be necessary).

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.