Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Why shave... anywhere? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why shave... anywhere?
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It irks me a little, to see all the girls on here who are seemingly so pro-shaving. In most of the posts about shaving pubic hair, the replies indicated a pretty positive view on the subject.
In a way, I agree with Hanne that shaving really isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be in many of the posts. It isn't, really, I mean, hair grows back, shaving isn't permanent.
But part of me thinks it IS a big deal. It's a little depressing to see that we're all so ashamed of our bodies that we need to take away what nature has given us. I believe in a woman's free choice to do what she wants with her body, but I also think many girls don't even realize they HAVE a choice, when it comes to shaving. There are hardly any role models for girls who don't shave, so the societal pressure for them to be hairless is enormous! I didn't even realize that women HAD hair under their arms until soon before puberty. I'd always seen it on men only.
I wish that women could be proud of their natural bodies instead of feeling like they don't measure up. I wish they could stop worrying about what men want. We'll never change the world if we don't stop giving in to unreasonable demands by partners and the media.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think though, Lisa Jain, that just because we do some things that aren't "natural", it means that we should be pressured into doing other things if we don't want to. I don't have any problem with women shaving, I do so myself, but I find it dreadfully unfair that society expects us to shave when there is really nothing wrong with body hair. If you didn't use tampons or pads, you would leave blood all over your own belongings, and most likely everyone else's. It would smell bad and cause a lot of trouble in cleaning up. Body hair hurts no-one. In some countries, like Italy, women don't actually shave. People from countries like America and Australia are often quite shocked.

When I was in 9th grade it annoyed me so much that I went for nearly a year without shaving my legs, just to show that you didn't somehow turn into a different person if you had no body hair. It would probably shock you, the number of women who told me to my face that they thought I was disgusting for it. I showered every day, used deodorant and wore clean clothes, but for some reason having a few hairs on my legs made me some sort of freak. And some guys told me that too- and trust me, they had hairier legs than I. That's what I think is wrong- the fact that women can't choose what to do with their body hair and not be judged for it. There's nothing wrong with choosing either way, but that's not reflected in society.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittied Fool
Neophyte
Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittied Fool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that's true at all, especially since I just got done arguing with a girl who completely insists on shaving. She was telling me how she cut herself, it hurts, and she wants that "Nads" stuff on the info-mercials.

I don't understand why women shave, but I'm almost certain they have a choice; they prefer it.

AND, I don't think shaving is shameful at all. It's showing your bodies... to whomever you might let see, but it's NOT hiding behind hair, it's showing it to the world.

As a man, I may see things differently, but women seem so ashamed. So many seem so unsure about what goes on down there. I've known many who are scared petrified to touch themselves down there. Let alone are aware of what's going on, or how it all works.

So to me, it seems like shaving is just a way of... being proud.

Or maybe we all put too much thought into it. I don't think about shaving my face. But for what it's worth I AM ashamed. It's patchy... it's weird. *LOL*

Idunno... I guess it's a lot less maintanence, and for all intents and purposes, it makes girls feel pretty.

Just like matching bras and panties, or jewelry. I feel ugly with my patchy beard, so I shave it off. Some (or is it 'most' now?) men like a shaven woman... so women like to make men happy, and hence, that makes them feel pretty.

And, many women I've talked to about it, prefer it. Maybe it IS for the prettyness factor, but they say they don't care what anyone else thinks, and they do it for themself. So... I guess, whatever's at the persons best interest.

I know not what I speak of. I appologize

------------------
"Now I've been crying lately,
Thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating?
Why can't we live in bliss" - Cat Stevens

Posts: 32 | From: Okla Homie | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,
I know what you mean.
Due to hormonal imbalances, genetic make-up, and the fact that I was on steroids as a child, I have an excessive amount of body hair. My stomach, my chest, my butt, everything. Yeah, it's awful, but I guess it's something you just have to accept.
I use Nair to remove it most of the time. Why? Because I'm embarrassed..There have been many times when I wish I were french. You just have to grow to love yourself and who you are. It doesn't matter if you are as hairy as a gorilla or if you have no hair at all, if you don't love yourself, you probably won't get anywhere.

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, like anything, shaving is just fine if your reasons for doing it are just fine.

If you're doing it and really don't want to, but feel your boyfriend will dump you, or someone will look at you funny, it may be time to reassess. But you know, if it's just something you do because you want to, I don't take issue with that.

I didn't shave at all until I was in my mid-twenties. For starters, my body hair is very fair and fine, and it's hardly visible.

However, I had a kindergarten classroom in an area where none of these kids had ever seen an unshaved leg on a woman before, and it became completely distracting when I was trying to teach them something. getting a six-year old to pay attention to one thing is hard enough. Two? Forget it.

After than, and as of now, I shave (or wax) when I want to. When I've done photo shoots, or gone out in full dress, I usually zap the hair that's showing simply because I'd like to have an evening where the whole world isn't fixated on my body hair, or think I'm trying to make a feminist statement. Sometimes, I do it just because I'm in the mood. Sometimes, I go months without because I'm in the mood, too.

But I'd be kidding myself if I thought that during the times I shaved I was being more "natural." I have tatoos. I get my haircut and have it dyed. I am covered in tattoos. I have piercings....you get it.

Ultimately, it seems to me that it is in fact sad that people feel they MUST do something with their bodies because everyone else says so. That's the real issue, methinks.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was more trying to get at the forced choice issue than the natural issue.
It seems like most girls shave to please other people. Why do girls do it to feel prettier? Because men tell them it's prettier. It doesn't feel better, it isn't cleaner, and if we de-program ourselves, we see that is doesn't even look nicer (I think it looks nice either way).
I just wish girls didn't feel like they have to shave because otherwise they'll "distract" people. What's wrong with distracting people? What's wrong with making a feminist statement? What's wrong with trying to broaden peoples' minds?
(Please don't take this as a personal attack, MizScarlet, I'm wishing the world were different, not disdaining your choice.)
I just wish the world would learn to accept new forms of beauty. I wish children in grade five weren't already wearing makeup and shaving their legs. I know I'm an idealist, and I can't change the world with my hairiness, but I hope I can make people think.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rizzo, as far as the feminist staqtement thing goes, that bothers me because I don't feel that when I don't shave I AM making a feminist statement, nor necessarily being feminist. Would that it were that easy.

And when you're trying to teach a roomful of kindergartners, believe me,m there is plenty wrong with distraction. My husband teaches as well, and stopped wearing earrings to class for the same reason. It just makes it too hard to do the job you're there for.

I want to add, too, that not all woman (and not just homosexual or bisexual woman) don't give a hoot about catering to an entire legion of men, and that not all men DO think a woman free of body hair is a lovlier one. My own partner has taken many a photo of the sun as it catches the hair at the base of my back and neck, and the down on my legs when it's there. During the years when I never shaved anything (and as I said, I vascillate now), I never had a single romantic partner, male or female, suggest that I should. The be-all end-all here is that when you're with someone and it's right, what they find beautiful about you most are those things that make you *you.*

I think it looks nice either way, too. And I agree with you, I truly wish that more people used body modifications as a way of celebrating their own beauty, rather than as a way to cater to a norm.

It's funny though. You know, I used to also have my head shaved. When I would walk around bald, tattooed and pierced, most people my own age started at me long and hard. On the other hand, old women and men never even seemed to notice3, or if they did, appreciated it.

As you get older, and see more and more diversity, it becaomes far less important. I think some of what you see is far more prevalaent in young people, because the peers they are often surrounded with haven't looked any further around the world than their back doors.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
playingbyheart
Activist
Member # 41

Icon 1 posted      Profile for playingbyheart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it's not going to kill anybody if you don't shave + wear an outfit showing your legs, where I live, you'd have to go through a lot of torment and crap-- laughs behind your back- just because of those dark hairs sprawled across your limbs.

Personally- I've been through phases of shaving. I absolutely hate the process of doing it, although I have a fetish for soft, smooth skin (which, on my legs, is impossible.) I have really dark hair and no matter how hard I shave, there is still lots of stubble. Sometimes I get so frustrated i end up cutting myself really deep accidentally. Also, though I haven't done this much anymore, there were days when i'd sit on the floor for hours tweezing my legs. I really liked getting a small area very smooth but it just took too long. I think i also enjoyed the pain a little bit, just because i knew with each pull there would be a little progress.

But one pain that i couldn't handle was getting my legs waxed. I thought that would be a good idea since it was just like tweezing all the hairs at once, and a hell of a lot quicker... but when it was finished, there were still a lot of hairs left and i went home to tweeze/shave/then tweeze again, making my legs extremly bright red. I've used nair, qvc wax, and just about everything else before and nothing can make my legs smooth. It's weird because during the winter months i barely shave at all, but when i do show my legs, I get conpulsive about it and need them to be perfect.

I think it does have a lot to do with where I live, because this summer when I was staying in NYC (the east village)- i still shaved my legs, but i didn't really care if i missed a spot or two since i've seen womyn around there walking around covered in hair. Even the girl that I hung out with there who attending the same pre-college program as me had hair on her legs (she shaved it occasionally but having it there when she was in brown cord capris didn't bug her one bit.) -- i dunno-- i think that shaving is extremly annoying, time-consuming and pointless but i'm so influenced by society that i do it anyway--

Posts: 91 | From: Chicago, Il | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aja Valderamma
Activist
Member # 519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aja Valderamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All
I think most girls choose what they want for THEMSELVES. Lot's of girls I know dress goth, some are preppy, some go for all the hyped up commercialized stuff like Old Navy, & Ambercrombie. Others dye or bleach their hair. Some are overweight and don't care.

It's all about indiviualism. Here in Florida it's always hot and sticky, to me it's more comfortable to shave my pubic hairs clean. I don't do it for a guy, since i'm single I do it for me. It makes me feel clean.

Many cultures are different. In some, body hair on females is considered attractive, similar to discolored teeth in Asian socities which portray people as wise as an elder.

We all come in differnt size and shapes, and all prescribe to different styles and fashions. As long as your not struggling to be the prototypical ideal of what a young female should look like, such as this pencil thin supermodels, and starving or purging yourself. Shaving seems to be as personal of a choice, painting your toenails or wearing lipstick.

If it makes you happy and comfortable thats all that should matter.

Aja

Posts: 204 | From: Capr Coral, Florida. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Brava!

(Oh, Aja, I am so happy you're back, chica. We all really missed you.)

Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Aja came back!

Whee!

Nice to see ya, chicamundi!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aja Valderamma
Activist
Member # 519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aja Valderamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks
Mz S & Hanne you guys are much too sweet and I missed you all so much. I'm gonna try to behave so I don't ruffle any feathers.

But it's so great to be here again. I feel so happy!!! I love you guys!

Aja

Posts: 204 | From: Capr Coral, Florida. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shave because i like the smoothness of my skin. It feels nice. I keep my pubic hairs neatly trimmed because it's more comfortable for me. I don't want to make a socio-political statement with the way i style my body hairs.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SIGH... There's so much I want to say, and I feel like no one agrees with me. Oh well...
Perhaps I'm paranoid, but to me, it seems like we're all being brainwashed to believe only shaved women are beautiful. I find it very hard to believe that the majority of women shave because they WANT to. It makes me angry, when people say it's prettier, or cleaner. I take it personally, like you are saying I'm ugly and dirty.
Anyway, (sorry to disagree again, Miz Scarlet...) I do regard shaving as a feminist issue. I think that trying to break free from the restrictive standards of beauty that are forced upon us is an important feminist battle. I'm just curious, but when you were teaching, did you hide your piercings and tattoos, as well? I know what it's like with young children, as I've done some volunteering with them, and I've found them to be quite open-minded. Sure, children are curious, but it seems like exposing them to new things is a good way of educating future generations to be more tolerant.
Also, I'd just like to say that I don't think pressure to shave comes only from men. It doesn't matter if it's your boyfriend or your girlfriend who wants you to shave. Lesbians aren't immune to pressure to conform.

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you to some extent. Remember, I did go a year without shaving my legs in protest once. I think that some women do just blindly shave because society expects it of us, but the fact is that some do because they like it.

I think that it's a feminist issue of women are doing it solely to please men (or women, as it may be). But you have to acknowledge that unshaved women would just be another social standard, another "norm". The fact is that whether or not someone believes they have equal rights with all other human beings has nothing to do with whether they have body hair. It annoys me that women can't not shave without being harrassed for it, but by the same token it would annoy me if women (or men) were harrassed for removing body hair as well.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I just point out that its not just girls that shave
I often shave
and not just on my face
me and my girlfrend decided that it would be funny to shave all our body hair off
she didn't like it so she let her hair grow back
but I liked it and have shaved as it where for about half a year now
just thought I would add my two-pennys-worth
cyaz
~VeNT

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, y'all, for replying to my own topic so often.
I quite agree with you, Beppie, that girls shouldn't be harrassed for shaving or not shaving. Despite my possibly radical seeming facade, I'm pretty tolerant, and would never be mean to a girl just because she shaves. I just think that, right now, it's important to focus on balancing the scales.
And VeNT: I know that not only girls shave, in fact my boyfriend shaves more than just his face at the moment. I don't have a problem with that. However, boys certainly aren't being brainwashed into thinking they need to shave their legs/armpits/pubic hair. I am more inclined to believe boys when they say they do it for themselves.

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for guys shaving more than their face, I know plenty of guys who wax their backs and other body parts because they are seriously embarassed by the hair there. Some other guys I know tried waxing, but didn't like it and now never take their shirts off in public. One guy will only do it when he is Europe where body hair is not seen as freaky.

I think women don't have the monoploy on selfconsciousness over body hair. With all the sleek Calvin kelin models out there, a guy can be influenced by the imagery just like a girl can. When Burt Reynolds was the sex symbol of the day things were different. the pendulum is bound to swing for men and may even swing for women.

As a side note, in some muslim cultures even though women are covered from head to toe and there is no sexual media images to speak of, they wax or sugar all of their body hair and men do much the same thing.

[This message has been edited by bettie (edited August 11, 2000).]

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The aforementioned societal forces are much to strong to difuse. I think you'd find more peace of mind if you excepted that that's how society has evolved over the years. In addition, do what's right for yourself and people respect you for that. When you find someone who loves you, they won't give a **** if you have body hair. (Or maybe they will give a **** , depending on how you look at it =) ).
Incidentally, other than my face, I like to shave designs now and then into my pubic area. I think it's very erotic :P .

Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that one should have too much peace of mind about something s/he feels strongly about. Great figures of the past didn't get where they did with a defeatist attitude. I do realize that the societal forces against me are very strong, but I can't let myself believe that. It takes a long time to change things, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
I'd also like to say that I do feel comfortable with my body, and I have found someone who doesn't give a **** about my hair (well, actually he says he likes it).

Brandy
Activist
Member # 250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although society may push women into believing that shaving is considered to be "normal", I think that most women have enough sense and independence to make their own desicions. Just because some of us choose to shave, it doesn't mean that we're following what society says. A lot of us have our own reasons for shaving. I know I do it because I like the way I feel. It makes me feel clean and pretty, and feminene. I don't like the way I look in a skirt with hairy legs. I keep my pubic hairs trimmed, because it makes me feel sexy when I'm with my boyfriend. Like everything else, shaving is a prference. Some choose to shave, some don't. It's one of the many things that makes us individuals, what makes us feel good about ourselves. I don't really understand the controversy, because it's simply someone's personal choice. It's our mind, our bodies, and I don't think we shouldn't be condemmed for making descions for ourselves.
Posts: 46 | From: Winnepeg, MB, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rizzo, you should see my legs. Scarred in many places, thin skin, scabs and ingrown hairs, all from my finally getting sick of being teased some years ago, and taking blade to tender skin. As I see it, it's really a part of self-loathing; some girls slash their arms, but I'd just try to make myself hairless, sort of a way of avoiding puberty. A few months ago I gave up shaving under my arms, only to find I had very little hair there anyway, I've since let my legs start growing, on the advice of my partner who prefers me hairy and unhurt. And what gets me, is how few people have noticed. My scars get so much more attention than hair, which is something I find appealing on other people, flower child that I am. All I can really say is that if it's bothering you enough to spur you to write, it's time to give it up!

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 05-30-2003).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Milke, I agree with you, I think shaving is (for some) a kind of puberty denial. It really freaks me out to think of shaved pubic areas, that seems like really sexualizing children. Anyway, um, I'm a flower child type myself, and I already don't shave (I probably wouldn't be so adament about this all, if I did).
Brandy, I disagree. I don't think most women do make informed decisions about shaving. My whole argument is that we are being force-fed this notion that shaving is prettier/sexier/cleaner. I mean, really think about it. Why does it make you feel clean/sexy/pretty? Because they tell you it should. Is it, objectively, any cleaner or sexier or prettier? No, it isn't. That's all I'm trying to say. If you want to shave, more power to you, just think long and hard about why you're doing it.

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add that I truly did start to trim and shave my pubic hair for a"cleanliness" reason. Not to be too explicit, but my pubic hairs would stick painfully together when I would have my period. No one told me to trim. In fact, I had no idea that some men and women shave their pubic hair until much later. I know I can't be the only female in North America to have done it for this reason.

I am not saying that the media and societal forces don't play a role, but it isn't the only force. True discomfort can too. In any case, I don't see why the unnaturalness of shaved legs is such an issue when people don't get very upset over the unnaturalness of washing. Why should the perceived offensivenss by one sense (touch or sight -as in the one's legs) be different from the perceived offensiveness by another (smell). Some people find stinkiness bad and others don't. Some people find hairiness "icky", others don't. Live and let live, I say. I'll shave or not shave and do my thing and let others do theirs.

[This message has been edited by bettie (edited August 15, 2000).]

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo:
I don't believe that one should have too much peace of mind about something s/he feels strongly about.

There's a contradiction there.
However, since you are doing what is right for you, best of luck in your crusade.

Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by bettie:
In any case, I don't see why the unnaturalness of shaved legs is such an issue when people don't get very upset over the unnaturalness of washing. Why should the perceived offensivenss by one sense (touch or sight -as in the one's legs) be different from the perceived offensiveness by another (smell).

With all due respect, the difference is that offensive stinkage is the result of thousands of years of biological evolution (alot of the times, stench comes from the toxins given off by bacterium, therefore there is an obvious advantage to finding certain things to be bad smelling. eg rotten food, smelly hobos) whereas offensive hair is a result of societel evolution. I believe neither is more or less legitamite than the other, so that's why it's not such a big issue with me.

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

There are many cultures on this planet, past and present who do not wash daily or even weekly, use soap, deoderant, antiperspirent and the like. People do have body odor and it is not an issue for many groups people. I think one's perception of body odors is inlfuenced by one's societal forces and culture -it isn't just a biological mechanism. Also, body hair, like most every other physical characteristic we humans have, has elvolved for some purpose. We are said to have been much hairier some 20 thousand years ago. Maybe we are shedding.

Whether we see body odor or body hair as offensive is not determined soley by biology but by culture. That is what I was trying to say. And I don't really care if I am under the influence in this case. Sometimes I shave and sometimes I don't. I wash regularly, but I don't do it excessively. I don't think it is such a big deal. Now, violence, that is something I am concerned about.

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, whether or not body odour is seen as offensive is determined largely by culture. However, while one can legitimately make the argument that someone else's body odour invades their own personal space; they can't make that argument about body hair.
Body odour, it could be said -- and I'm not necessarily saying this -- is like second hand smoke. I may not be choosing to breathe it in. On the other hand, though, if I am offended by someone's body hair, I can look away. Depending on the situation, I may not be able to do that with odours.
That's why I think this comparison may not be entirely valid.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo:
It makes me angry, when people say it's prettier, or cleaner. I take it personally, like you are saying I'm ugly and dirty.

I do regard shaving as a feminist issue. I think that trying to break free from the restrictive standards of beauty that are forced upon us is an important feminist battle. I'm just curious, but when you were teaching, did you hide your piercings and tattoos, as well? I know what it's like with young children, as I've done some volunteering with them, and I've found them to be quite open-minded. Sure, children are curious, but it seems like exposing them to new things is a good way of educating future generations to be more tolerant.
Also, I'd just like to say that I don't think pressure to shave comes only from men. It doesn't matter if it's your boyfriend or your girlfriend who wants you to shave. Lesbians aren't immune to pressure to conform.

I think, Rizzo, the important point here is that a "feminist statement" isn't something generic. To me, when I don't shave, and during the years when I never did, I neither was, nor wanted to be, making a "feminist" statement. if anything, it was humanist, that I, like with other aspects of my appearance, could do what was most comfortable for me.

If peoiple tell you it's cleaner, you should take offense, but moreover, take it as an opportunity to educate, because it isn't. But when people say it is "prettier" I imagine those same people have a whole plethora of thing in the worlsd they find prettier than others. To be blunt, if you want THEIR individual and subjective ideas of beauty to not be okay, yours can't either. You can't have it both ways. If we can all honor that we have different ideas about what is beautiful, we wouldn't have all this angst to begin with.

When it comes to things at jobs, yes I did generally keep my tattoos and piercings covered. Again, it isn't about what is different, it is about things that kept me from best doing my job and doing it harmoniously with other teachers.

I think you'll come to see a bit more as you grow that how we like to look and work with our bodies is indeed our choice, but we need to work it into our priorities. How I look has never been more important than doing my job, or than -- on at least a workable level -- being able to communicate with people. If we're trying to teach someone something (even if that is that many forms of beauty are okay), if they can't look us in the face or feel comfortable around us, we aren't going to be able to do that very well.

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

I see your point, but it reminds me of some waitresses and waiters I know who go sleeveless and do not shave their armpits. You can't really turn away becasue it is right in your face and you have to interact with them. Doesn't bother me, but it does bother some people. They don't go back to that restaurant. Again, it is a cultural thing.
mentalxashtray
Activist
Member # 416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mentalxashtray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I'd put my two cents in. I shave my armpits + legs even when wearing long sleeves or pants. I find it more comfortable, especially iin the summer when your more prone to be sweating. I shave my bikini line year-long, + I never go swimming. Its for me, not anyone else. I also wear makeup for myself + dye my hair for myself. I get piercing for myself. Looking at it that way, shaving could be either an expression of ones self, though not had to be viewed public, + a simple preference thing.

------------------
"So what do we do now?"
"We go forward."
"Together?"
"Always."

Posts: 62 | From: Here. I assume.. that you're there. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

That's exactly it, mental.

Thing is, if we're going to say that everyone needs to be able to embrace diversity in beauty, we have to do it too. In other words, we all do what we do with our bodies and appearance for different reasons.

So long as what we're doing is healthy and safe, and so long as we're doing it because it is what makes us the most comfortable, I don't really see anyone -- whether you shave or not, or like me, do what you want depending on what mood you're in -- as being in a position to judge a practice as better or worse, or more or less political, or what have you.

winter
Activist
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with people who shave anything.

I personally only shave my legs and pits in the summer. I don't see the point in shaving your legs in the middle of December when you live in the Midwest. :rollseyes:

Really, though, as long as it makes *you* happy, and you're not doing it for anyone else.

------------------
"Can't this wait til I'm old?"-Phish

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 06-16-2002).]

Posts: 53 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like people are getting the idea that I am somehow prejudiced against women who shave. Let me just say, that that's not what I mean at all. Most of my friends do shave. I don't think I am too cool to associate with them, or something (on the contrary, I often feel a little insecure about myself for not shaving).
Also, I don't pretend that my interpretation of what's beautiful is any better than anyone else's. When I said that shaved legs cannot objectively be called sexier or prettier, I meant that sexy and pretty are not objective terms. I was advocating open-mindedness about the many different forms of beauty in the world. Really, I'm on your side about this, I think we can all have our own ideas of what's sexy/beautiful --that's great, I like diversity. What I want is MORE diversity, that's all.
All along I've been saying that my real problem is that the information girls are given about shaving is sadly biased, and many girls don't realize they have a choice. The topic of my post was meant as a philosophical question, not as an attack on shavers personally. I don't think there's a problem with questioning why we do things. I think shaving is something a lot of girls started doing unconsciously. When asked why they do it, some of them try to rationalize by saying it's for themselves, when really that's what they've been brainwashed into thinking. Advertisers have told them that shaving is a pleasant relaxing ritual that pampers them. Even if these girls complain bitterly about shaving (uhhh, it gives me bumps, I always cut myself, it's so itchy...) they would never even consider stopping.
...This is why I have a problem with shaving... I am pro-choice, but I am pro-INFORMED-choice.

jupiter
Activist
Member # 994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jupiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the whole anti-body hair thing is basically because most of us have spent several billion years evolving up (ostensibly) from pond scum and several million years evolving from apes, and we just want to hurry the damn process up and get rid of the monkey hairs. I don't shave much. I have waged a seven years' war with my epidermal quirks (Irish pale skin - seemingly vulnerable to the weakest of the sun's rays yet impervious to the idea of tanning - and thick Italian body hair blackly sprinkling a good proportion of my body). After the first time I removed a strip of skin from my leg (not a bad thing actually - scar tissue doesn't grow hair follicles) I tried to switch to Nair, only I am extremely allergic to whatever they put in that chemical-cucumber smelling potion. (If guys were supposed to shave legs instead of girls, DuPont would've come up with something better!) So, anyway, I like the look and feel of shaved legs better than normal hairy ones. I absolutely hate hair on guys' legs, too - it reminds me of a Wookiee. Unfortunately, my legs and pits like their protective covering of hair - I suppose they feel less exposed. We have reached a sort of compromise. In the summer and when I have gym class, I shave. Otherwise, I don't. If my boyfriend desn't like it, I tell him to go shave his legs (that shuts him up quick!) As for the shaving of pubes: To each their own. I can see how some people would like it. I wouldn't because of the whole denial-of-puberty thing, and also, I can barely be trusted with a razor as it is, and I don't wish to be wearing a maxi pad when I'm not having a period (in other words: major ouch potential).

------------------
'maybe you'll keep me from ever being happy but you're not gonna stop me from having fun...'-ani di franco

'i weave for you the luminous web glowinthedark threads all neon like'-bjork

'you only exist in what you do'-federico fellini

Posts: 55 | From: West Sand Lake (aka Cow Pasture), NY | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.