Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » On the Rag (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: On the Rag
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your rag a drag, or is it okay? What solution best works for you? Having problems or concerns? Post'em here!
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy. I've got it all here: http://plook-squish.diaryland.com
I keep a menstrual diary. I talk about what's happening each month with my body.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evil_taco
Neophyte
Member # 20

Icon 13 posted      Profile for evil_taco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it uncomfortable and my body blows up like a zodiac....
Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pillow Angel
Neophyte
Member # 25

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Pillow Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually quite fortunate. I feel a bit bloated and a little uneasy for only a little while at the beginning and then it subsides and I don't feel anymore discomfort at all. I don't get cramps or any real pain.
Posts: 4 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it ever gets really bad, just remember this chickies:

...when you got your period, it was AFTER ibuprofen was invented. I remember those pre-ibuprofen days with a lot of wincing.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drummergirl
Neophyte
Member # 32

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drummergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing I've tried for pain is 2 Aleve in the morning right out of bed.

I CAN'T use tampons. Does anyone have a suggestion for a super-slim pad for swimming?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaLaLaLa
Neophyte
Member # 65

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaLaLaLa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes get backaches and cramps, but I take midol like every 4-6 hours (during the day) so I don't get them that often, but I got them all the time when I was out of midol.
Posts: 34 | From: beverly hills, Ca, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel in Disguise
Neophyte
Member # 68

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Angel in Disguise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when I'm on but I miss it if I'm late or I skip one. I just can't win.
Posts: 34 | From: Wales | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mophead, I think keeping a menstrual diary is a great idea. At first my periods were very erratic. I didn't think of keeping track of them. I usually had a rough idea of when I was supposed ot have them. One time I unexpectedly got my period and I totally stained this very cute skirt of mine. We It was half way through the school day and I had to somehow leave class without people noticing. I rushed home to change. It was embarrassing, but I survived.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ALWAYS get cramps, and usually so badly that I have to take the day off from whatever I'm doing. I've tried a whole plethora of drugs designed to lessen period pain, but none of them have ever worked. I've found all that does work for me is to have a nice long sleep.

Still, it's a real bother. I've got a friend who said she was like that until she went on the pill. I've never been on the pill, but I'm seriously considering it, because I hate being sick one, or sometimes two days a month.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Hey Beppie,
Have they tried an anti-inflammatory like Naprosyn? You may want to suggest it if they haven't. In addition, have you tried anything homeopathic like red raspberry leaf?

My cycle, for most of my life, tends to alternate between one easy month and one very crampy one, and some of those are of the If I Move I'll Die, I Swear variety. When I was on the pill, it helped A LOT. I very, very rarely had cramps at all.

* LAUREN
Neophyte
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted      Profile for * LAUREN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aleve REALLY helps me when I have cramps. I wanna get on the pill though, cuz your cramps aren't as bad when you are.

------------------
* LAUREN!
I like bright colors.

Posts: 15 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StilQuackn
Neophyte
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StilQuackn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period is very irregular. Sometimes I won't get it for 6 weeks, but when I do it lasts for about two weeks. And I usually have to change my tampon(super super heavy) every 2 hours. It's horrible. I'm only 14 though, my mom says it should get better. One time at school I got my period and there was blood on my chair but no one knew it was me. Everyone knew about the bloody chair in math class though. I would have died if then knew it was me.
Posts: 34 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tee hee! My french class has a bloody chair too!
Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goober
Neophyte
Member # 109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Goober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My periods aren't very bad. I don't get cramps until after my flow has started (yeesh, the word usage...can't they come up with better slang than this?), and then the cramps are in my legs. That irks me, cuz it makes no anatomical sense. But if I take some Pamprin or Midol, i'm fine. A little happy and drugged, but no pain at least. If I don't (like that one day at school) it hurts so bad I can't help but cry, and I have to go home. They need to come up with Midol injections that you can inject wherever you hurt, and most important, work instantaneously, not taking 20 minutes of agony to kick in. I use tampons all the time cuz i can't stand the feel of pads..but that's just me. But, it is kinda a drag..I have to take more trips to the bathroom whereas i'd rather chill with my friends for that 5 minutes, or not leave the tables at work just to go to the bathroom, but, I know it could be worse. So, sometimes I just punch my boyfriend in his legs whenever he says i blow it out of proportion, then ask how he feels! HAH!

------------------
OW!

Posts: 6 | From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHORT*1
Neophyte
Member # 99

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SHORT*1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mine doesn't really seem to bother me, besides the fact that it comes at all the wrong times..... like right before i leave for a vacation, or right during school.... but i think most of u can relate to that!!!

but seriously if i do have cramps i just lay down for a couple minutes and it pretty much goes away, and if i doesnt i just try not to totally strain myself with anything!!!

------------------
The future
*~Kristen M. Rowland*~

Posts: 10 | From: Bellevue Ohio, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliekins
Neophyte
Member # 129

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Juliekins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hear it for Ortho-Cyclen! <cheers!> Being on the Pill has been a real godsend for me--no more moodswings, very mild craps, and super low flow, not to mention you can set a clock by my cycle.

My sister had an absolutely horrible cycle, and she went on Demulen--it decreased her craps like crazy and just all in all evened things out for her.

There can be some funky side effects to the Pill, but they don't generally become issues unless you're a smoker. My boobs grew a full cup size when I went on the Pill. (bonus!)

Posts: 8 | From: KS, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyam
Neophyte
Member # 147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I come from a long line of females with not so fun genetics. We all get sick so basically I'm bedridden one day a month. Pain killers and muscle relaxants are a godsend but they only help pain not nausia and plain exhaustion.

I don't mean to scare anyone who might read this, it's pretty much been figured it's genentic. Both my mom and my grandma have been diagnosed with having a slightly tipped uterus and the rest have never really bothered to try and find out.

Apparently it gets slightly better after childbirth but that's certainly not going to make me rush!

~nyam~

Posts: 16 | From: ,Manitoba,Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelgurl
Neophyte
Member # 221

Icon 13 posted      Profile for angelgurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 me it is normal now and i deal with it i sometimes get killer cramps but other than that it's ok. althought (eveb though i know they can't) i think every1 knows when i'm on and that kills me. i hate 4 ppl 2 know my biz.

------------------
bye guys!!:)

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it because when I get it, it is horrible. There's something wrong with my body so I have to go to the gyn and get birth control to fix it. And later on I could have fertility problems so I'm terrified.
Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mistress Mary
Neophyte
Member # 344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistress Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have very irregular periods. i was told that i would start to become regualar and have moderate flows within the first 2 years of my period, but i've had it now for a little more than 7 years and it' still heavy and irregular. is this normal? should i be worried? i keep track of menstrual cycle and i get my period every 19-21 days. i feel like i lose a lot of blood and i'm aneamic so i have to take iron otherwise i suffer from fatigue. my mohter told me not to worry about it. should i be more concerned?
Posts: 36 | From: Park Forest, IL, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhiannon
Activist
Member # 319

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Rhiannon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yuck. I get the WORST periods...super heavy flow, cramps, extreme fatigue, and everything else. Not to mention my hormones are horrible- approximately 2 weeks every month I'm not only irritable but emotionally tortured....I sometimes cry for hours, and take everything personally. Since I'm naturally insanely sensitive, this is a problem. I'm going to the doctor for the first time in August...hope she can do something for me!

------------------
But that's just my two cents..

Posts: 45 | From: CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surfrgrl
Neophyte
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfrgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been one of the luckiest people when it comes to this! mine is regular every month. I get no cramps or bloating! no pains, or ill temperment. I love that about it.
Posts: 15 | From: jax, fla.usa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mistress Mary
Neophyte
Member # 344

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mistress Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
surfrgirl, it's girls like you that make all us menstrual suffering gals jealous. No fair!
Posts: 36 | From: Park Forest, IL, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbercrombieBabe
Neophyte
Member # 310

Icon 9 posted      Profile for AbercrombieBabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I get mine it's just plain horrible! Super heavy flow, killer cramps, etc. I'm never bedridden or anything, it's never gotten THAT bad thank God but it's still pretty bad! All I can say is when it's that time of the month my b/f goes into hiding *hehe* and pain killers are a godsend!

------------------
aNgElA

~*~iT tAkeS a MiNuTe tO HaVe a CrUsH oN sOmEoNe, An hOuR tO LiKe tHeM, a DaY tO lOvE sOmEoNe, BuT iT tAkEs a LiFeTiMe To FoRgEt SoMeOnE~*~

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
bEn & AnGeLa aLwAyS
<3 3/25/00 <3
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Posts: 24 | From: TX, USA *yawn* | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katri
Neophyte
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.. I'm kinda lucky in that my period only lasts for 3 days. (it's really common in my family, so it isn't a problem. just the way it is.) I've never missed one either, so it's generally predictable. Occasionaly it'll be early when I'm dealing with a lot of stress.

Unfortunately I get really bad cramps and can't take ibuprofen. I took it once and got some weird kind of reaction.

Posts: 10 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katri
Neophyte
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing - as much as I'd love to be on the pill, my parents won't allow it. They'd think I only want to be on it so I can sleep around.

Parents... oy.

Posts: 10 | From: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Im blessed, but usually Im on it for like 5 days and i RARELY get cramps, and if I do, i just take Midol, and that seems to help me SOOOO much.
Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my monthly comes on, I get really bad cramps to the point where I am rolling on the floor crying. So the doctor prescribed me with 800mg Motrin. and I take one of those every 4-6 hours. Sometimes I get a fever, I feel bloated and I get BAD headaches. But even after all that, I am a pretty pleasant person to be around! HAHA

------------------
****If you reach for the moon and miss, you'll be among the stars****

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktroub
Neophyte
Member # 456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktroub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My rag is the BIGGEST drag. My doctor thought I might have endimetriosis? Can't spell it sorry. Because I used to have THE worst cramps. Such that once I passed out in a bathroom and hit my head against the garbage can. Awful. It used to control my life until I got on the pill and found the love of my life (kidding) - Anaprox. It saves the day. Definitely. Now I'm out for at least 1 day, but at least not 5! Except now my period is SO long on the pill. Like 5 days and then 3 days of brown yucky stuff. Is this normal? Anyone else have this? Thanks
Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to have the worst menstrual cycle.

one day, my mother turns to me and says, "you look awfully pale." as it were, i had been "surfing the crimson tide" for the eleventh straight day, with no sign of easing up. This had gone on for several months. I'd be on for two weeks, off for about 10 days, and then back on. Heavy flow, too.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doenst' sound normal to me? Justto be on the safe side, why don't oyu get yourself checked out?

------------------
Give it all you got.. and if that doesn't work, give it some more!!!

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first day is one where I have to be left alone. I get cramps that make me cry and My entire lower half of my body hurts . My family has learned to leave me alone and just to talk to me the next day. Good for me though that my rag is always light and that mine are always 23 or 24 days apart so that works out good I'm thinking of getting on the pill to help fix that first day cause it just gets worse for me.

------------------
*~ Daisy ~*

Love ya wheelbarrow & wheelbarrows full

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
musickat, yeah, i got check out, and my gyno put me on ortho tricyclen, then triphasil. being on the pill has worked wonders for my cycle.

and that little side effect with the boobs, i went from a 34B to a 34DD. trouble is, i gained 30 pounds in the process.

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamie
Neophyte
Member # 241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period used to be bad. It would last 7 days REALLY heavy, and I'd have 14 days off then my period again. Since I started running I have 4 days periods which are lighter then before and 27 days apart! Anyone with really long or heavy periods that aren't very active physically I highly reccomend it! maybe it'll help you 2!
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.