Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Is masturbation bad (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is masturbation bad
Erin
Neophyte
Member # 120

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Erin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I masturbate 5-6 times a week. Does anyone here do it to. Is it bad for you, or is it healthy.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some girls I know do it even more than that! I think it's good because it's better to masturbate than go out and have sex with boys when you are really horny.
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot,
I completely agree with you. In fact, many times I wish the abstinence billboards said instead: "Masturbation: The Only Safe Sex."

Erin,
We have an extensive series we did on masturbation in Scarleteen a few months back. Take a few minutes and read it: you'll see it's normal, healthy, and indeed, safe sex.
http://scarleteen.com/pink/pages/masturbate.html

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StilQuackn
Neophyte
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StilQuackn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, masterbating 6-7 times a week, some days I masterbate that much. I can't believe there are still lots of people who think it's bad for you.
Posts: 34 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaLaLaLa
Neophyte
Member # 65

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LaLaLaLa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey its safer than sex you cant get preganet and you are releaving yourself.
Posts: 34 | From: beverly hills, Ca, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes it feels a lot better when you do it to yourself then when you have sex with boys!!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*ShellerBabe*
Activist
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *ShellerBabe*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could you get an orgasm from masturbating?? i thought i got one today, but i dont really know how the real one feels!!
Posts: 117 | From: America..~*hehe*~ | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

You can get tons of orgasms from masturbating! You just have to practice a lot untill you find the techniques that work great for you.

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 03-07-2002).]

Musickat01
Activist
Member # 272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Musickat01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masturbating 6-7 times a week?? My god!! I dont eve nthink I do it that many times in a year! Where does everyone find the time to do that? I am not a virgin and I have sex with my boyfriend 4 times MAX a month and I am completely satisfied. Is that good? Or is that bad??

------------------
~*~Katrina~*~

Posts: 145 | From: Dover, Delaware USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, masturbation isn't bad at all. It's perfectly normal and healthy and it's a proven fact that women who masturbate are more able to orgasm during sexual intercourse than women who don't. And 99.9% of all people masturbate but they won't admit it.
Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, folks?

You cannot legally purchase ANYTHING from a sex shop, online or off, until you're 18.

While I certainly don't always think that is a fair thing, it is the fact, nonetheless.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candy_Chica
Activist
Member # 154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candy_Chica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pink_Lemonade_03:
And 99.9% of all people masturbate but they won't admit it.

That can't be true! First of all, in addition to anonymous surveys that say that only about half of the population do it, there would be a lot more happy people on this planet. Believe me.

Posts: 67 | From: El Paso, Texas, United States | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Yeah, but some people don't cum when they do it! (have orgasms). Masturbating is cool, but cumming is the thing that makes people really happy!
shortstuff
Neophyte
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shortstuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HotGrrl99~
What do you mean by "cum" I didn't know that girls could actually cum, I thought that was a boy thing?

------------------
(((':')))
((( : )))
May your wishes come
true, and Peace to me and you!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually, Candy, the figure is, including men and women, at about 96%.

In addition, I hate the term "cum" for various reasons, but mainly because it is so ambiguous. Some people use it to mean orgasm, others to mean ejaculate, which (for both men AND women) are not always one and the same thing.

...and women can do both.

Pink_Lemonade_03
Activist
Member # 277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink_Lemonade_03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should have actually looked up the percentage of people who masturbate. Sorry! 99.9% seems pretty close to 96% to me... *lol*
Posts: 140 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Am I normal?" must be the most commonly asked questions on these boards.

Now, excluding questions of health - for obvious reasons - I can give you a definitive answer:

YES!

That question tends to stem from a lack of self-confidence.

So, you guys need to be haughty and arrogant like me. You can do no wrong! You are the greatest! Now relax and go out there and be the best damn Scarletite you can be!

Ritalin, where are you? Bad ritalin! Come here!

------------------
You are what you eat?
But I don't even LIKE nuts!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... maybe just for the sake of playing devils advocate here I will give some arguments against masturbation (im allowed to coz I do too). I only tried masturbation a few months ago. Before trying it I was perfectly happy really, Ive never had any sexual contact with another person. But now I tend to do it quite regularly. Its a bit like an addiction (tho not technically cos addiction implies a physical requirement of something). Now if I was perfectly happy before doing it but now I always want to do it, is it a good thing? Oh and I realise that many people years ago jumped to the conclusion that masturbation was bad. THey supported this with religious dogma and wrong scientific assumptions. However, we should not jump in the other direction either and automatically assume its absolutly fine either. Perhaps masturbation might have adverse effects on some people. So dont say that masturbation do no wrong.

Oh one other good thing tho. Since masturbating ive never had a wet dream, which are annoying sometimes if you weren't prepared for one.

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phsygnosis
Activist
Member # 2226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phsygnosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I use to masturbate about 5-6 times a day. It would tend to hurt after I did it that many times so I started slowing down and now its more like 1-3 times every 1-2 days. My girlfriend (or atleast I hope she still is!!!) masturbates about 3-4 times a day. She started when she was 4 years old though. So she is really use to it. I find masturbating a real healthy thing. It really helps me with stress! It makes me feel like a new guy sometimes to, like I could accomplish any thing in the world. So, just keep masturbating!

-Phsygnosis

Posts: 88 | From: Canton, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Confused, I know you're playing devils advocate, but all of medical and sexological research stands counter to that theory.

You want to dispute all of that, okay, but you're going to have to then start taking a look at what research and knowledge you're going to dispute it with. I mean, I could state that cancer isn't debilitating, but simply because I hypothesize that doesn't make it so, and I'd have to find some evidence that supports that theory.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can i just announce
My girlfrend has FINALY twiged that masturbation IS NOT A CRIME!!!!
and she has found out that IT IS ENJOYABLE!!!
<she is even started to sujest stuff that she likes>
i am realy pleased and its all <mostly> down to this wedbite!!!!
i sent her here to read up on it and, when she got around to it, she finaly "saw the light"
thank you Miz Scrlet and all of the Scarleteen crew!!
~VeNT
----------

------------------
x X x X x
x X X x
x X x
x x
x
-------------------
My web site
coming soon AN UPDATE!
new pics
total REVAMP OF THE WHOLE SITE!
if i get any ideas!
famin@btinternet.com
mail me....please? i realy need some insparation!

[This message has been edited by VeNT (edited 01-10-2001).]

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well Miz Scarlet, I will look out for credible scientific studies that say there can be adverse physical or psychological effects caused by masturbation. But whether I find some or not, just remember not to take nething for granted whatsoever. We took our beef for granted untill people started dying from CJD.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Whoa, Nellie! SOME people took that for granted. Many of us did NOT. There has ALWAYS been plenty of evidence out there if you do the reasearch to make clear that factory farming was WROUGHT with dangers.

I've been a vegetarian all my life, and I don't even buy anything but organically-raised and farmed beef for my DOG.

That aside, have fun researching. Geek that I am, I always think research is fun. But do have a little faith in Hanne and I, eh? We've been doing this for a while, and we study every bit of info we can get our hands on from varied sources every day. It's part of the job. But by all means, keep us posted in your adventures in sexology research -- we happen to think it's pretty interesting stuff.

Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Aha, ok maybe there r no physical problems with masturbation but the recent new posting on this forum has shown that there r more abstract worries. I am of course refering to the 'addicted to masturabtion' thread with particular reference to the *help* bit added. Now I realise that this isnt counted as a clinical addiction as the actual body isn't craving for some particular substance. Ive heard that in drug addiction the brain is almost bypassed in the decision making to find the next fix. Obviously this doesnt work in the same way with this so called 'addiction' to masturbation. However, it does show that if masturbation is done too much, somebody might start to 'crave' it for want of a better term. Now this is a personal account im refering to and there r no statistics or test results to quote but it seems to me this is a viable problem in some cases.
It was said by Hippee that she didnt always enjoy masturbation at all, instead it was just something she 'needed' to do (I understand that feeling as i get it sometimes 2). Now this doesnt appear too bad, so she is occasionally l8 for something, not a massive problem. However, this state of affairs could be worse in other people who might be unwilling to talk about something as private as this.

hmm987
Neophyte
Member # 2160

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hmm987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm...
I just don't understand people. How is it so hard to believe that there are people in this world that don't or have never masturbated? We may be few and far between, but we are out there.
I'm 18 and i never have... not because I think it's "bad"... believe me I've fought off crazy temptations, mmhm.. it's because masturbation doesn't go along with my personal religious morals. I find remaining completely celibate is more important to me (and God) than giving in to temptation for personal pleasure. but ya know, that's just me

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Oy! Guys, you're getting WAY too intense about this. Confused, someone could feel that way or have that approach to ANYTHING: watching television, bowling, filing their nails, applying lipstick, eating celery, working too many hours (*ahem*), but what you're talking about is potentially obsessive behaviour, which can be applied to ANYTHING, and just like, say bowling, and as opposed to chemical substances which DO create addictions, touching your body in ANY way does NOT create a chemical addiction.

And hmm, I think you'lkl find that people are often cynical about it for good reason. I touahgt kindergarten and preschool for a long time, and I'm here to tell you that you'd be hard pressed to not find the little kid that masturbated. It's very normal and natural behaviour. While there are certainly times for nearly all of us when we do NOT masturbate or have sexual partners, most people -- at some point in their lives -- will have masturbated (even if you did it when you were little and don't recall). But that doesn't mean plenty of people choose not to from time to time, or even from here on out at a point in their lives and that is ALSO perfectly okay.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

magick55
Neophyte
Member # 2417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magick55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I've been reading all these posts and I have gotten confused. The question been asked was is masturbating bad for you? Now some of have given straight answers and some stories that were helpful but the rest are exploring the psychological side to it all when all the poor person wanted was an easy answer! Now I'm going to say that if you masturbate it is not bad for you. In fact I do it as often as I possibly can. Dont waste precious time pondering the psychological side when you could be exploring yourself in a safe way.

------------------
Magick :)

Posts: 1 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exotica
Neophyte
Member # 2491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exotica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mastrubation is great! I've been doing it all my life. When I'm horny, I know how to satisfy myself. It's safe, nobody has to know, and allows you to feel sexy and satisfies. You learn a lot about what you want, and would want when you actually have sex. It's also great foreplay, guys love watching a girl who can take care of herself.
Posts: 1 | From: Beverly Hills, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarariman
Neophyte
Member # 2537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarariman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you went a bit hard on Confused. I'm on intimate terms with Mrs Thumb and her Four Lovely Daughters. I masturbate compulsively. In fact, let's call it "genital exercise" as it's less judgemental.

Everyone whose contributions I've read so far sounds like a healthy, well adjusted human being, doubtless thanks to the time spent dialling 'O' on the little pink telephone.

It's the same as with recreational drugs or chocolate or surfing the 'Net or... It's a nice pressure valve, couldn't live without it, but if you find yourself doing it when you could be out there making friends then it's a bad thing, and I think it's all too easy to fall into that trap.

Otherwise, a wealth of reading and years of empirical data (ahem!) sez there's nothing medically or psychologically wrong with "self-pleasuring", except for the time when I did it so much I ended up with a pressure sore on my organ.

Posts: 1 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicguy17
Neophyte
Member # 2557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicguy17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nuthin wrong w/ masturbation. its basically one of the greatest things known to man. Its like a portable sex kit. u can never leave home or stay home w/o it.
Posts: 2 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IceCuzImCold
Neophyte
Member # 13802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IceCuzImCold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im kind of 50/50 on the whole masturbation thing, I mean on one side I totally agree with everything on Scarleteen about how we should be our own first sex partners, and that it's ok and normal, but then on the other hand I think it's against my religion, so I know Im doing a bad thing, I masturbate about 1-2 times, 3-4 days a week sometimes more sometimes less, sometimes with a friend(thats a whole 'nother topic)

------------------
"Don't walk in behind me I may lead you the wrong way, don't walk in front of me I may not follow, walk beside me and be my friend."

[This message has been edited by IceCuzImCold (edited 07-12-2003).]

Posts: 35 | From: Forestville, MD, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 3 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Masterbation isn't bad. It's natural. It allows you to explore your body sexually. It's okay to do do it alone, or with someone such as a friend or your SO. Masterbation can relieve sexual tension you may have.

I remember, i started to masterbate at 12. I still do to this day (i'm now 20). Because i am in a long term relationship with Isaiah (2 yrs), i don't masterbate as much as i used to. We're already sexually active (including having sex).

Your body is natural. You are prone to have sexual curiousity of your own sexual feelings. So if you want to explore, it's okay to touch yourself sexually. Just relax. It's only you, and your body.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, masturbation is not bad. As long as its OK with you. I actually think masturbation is great because its a substitute for having real sex. So whenever you have the urge to have sex, you just masturbate. Plus, you can have that pleasure without having to worry about being pregnate. Here is one article all about masturbation:

Is Masturbation Okay?

Hope this helps.

Kittylouise711

~"Its nice to meet a man with such fine taste."
~"Woman!"
~"Whatever."

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kittylouise711
Neophyte
Member # 14134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kittylouise711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, masturbation is not bad. As long as its OK with you. I actually think masturbation is great because its a substitute for having real sex. So whenever you have the urge to have sex, you just masturbate. Plus, you can have that pleasure without having to worry about being pregnate. Here is one article all about masturbation:

Is Masturbation Okay?

Hope this helps.

Kittylouise711

~"Its nice to meet a man with such fine taste."
~"Woman!"
~"Whatever."

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually think masturbation is great because its a substitute for having real sex.

Why do you think masturbation isn't "real"? Is sex only "real" when there's another person involved?

And how about the idea that masturbation can be a good thing in itself, not just as a "substitute" for something else?

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.